It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Annual Checkup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 9:34 pm

Brewer is going in for his first annual checkup under our ownership at the vet tomorrow, and I was hoping to show up prepared study

I found this link to be pretty informative: http://dogs.about.com/cs/disableddogs/a/vet_exam.htm

Anything that I should have looked at that isn't coverd in that link? Nose, Eyes, Mouth, Ears, Lungs, Heart, Skin / Coat, Abdomen, Spine, etc...

How about blood, poo, or urine samples?

Appreciate any feedback...

TIA!

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 9:43 pm

It's never a bad idea to get a baseline blood and urine screening. In the event of something ever happening (knock on wood), it's easier for the dr to have normal parameters to refer back to. Very Happy

Last edited by hypers987 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos from iphone)
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 1:20 am

We do annual bloodwork too. Snickers even gets his done every 6 months since he's an old fart Very Happy Plus, with Ava being hard to get blood from (she thinks its gonna be a nail trim and panics) I figure that since we're already stabbing her for a heartworm test, they may as well take some extra blood to make sure she's healthy. Poo samples are always good too. In fact, most vets ask that you bring them or want to pull a fecal there. For Brewer's sake, I'd take my own poo sample in rather than have the vet "pull" it. And finally, if he's microchipped, you might want to have them scan him to see if its migrated or anything.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 2:05 am

I always do blood and fecal. Just to keep myself informed!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 6:00 am

In addition to the physical exam, we also get blood and fecal done. Nothing else unless I have a particular concern.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 10:53 am

Sierra gets yearly blood work cause of her age, we have never had jacks blood taken and neither have had fecal checks, vet never brought that up.

Let us know how it goes

Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks everybody for all the feedback!

Looks like Brewer will be giving blood today and I will need to determine how I'd like to submit fecal and urine samples. Lord knows Brewer will probably hold a grudge if I let the vet "pull" poo out of him Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 11:21 am

Paul, it's horrible but I have had them use the "poop loop." It's easy for us to get a fecal from Cato he poops about 4 times a day - it's like he is hardwired to poop a lot. They are small of course. Delilah - only has BM 1 - 2x a day so its not as easy Do your best to get a urine sample on your own, I've heard that is pretty painful for them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 12:34 pm

Well, that was rather underwhelming!

The checkup took about 5 minutes, most of which was spent talking about Brewer's anxiety.

The vet gave Brewer's eyes a good look, but that was due to me saying that we had been noticing increased eye matter for ~10 days. I am thinking Brewer came down with a small cold or he got something stuck in his eye that was irritating it...

I asked about blood, poo, and urine samples, and the vet said that it was unnecessary given Brewer's age and apparent health???

Needless to say, I will be talking with the vet tech that I know through MUSHR to see if this is what I can expect going forward, or if it was an "off" day for the vet.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 12:54 pm

For annual vet checks I have never been asked by any vet for blood/urine samples to be drawn on a healthy animal. They always request fecal sample to check for parasites. The only time blood work occured on my lab was prior to her spaying. My greyhounds needed teeth cleaning every 6 months or so and blood work was done on them when they reached 7 years of age.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 5:30 pm

MicroBrewer wrote:
Well, that was rather underwhelming!

The checkup took about 5 minutes, most of which was spent talking about Brewer's anxiety.

The vet gave Brewer's eyes a good look, but that was due to me saying that we had been noticing increased eye matter for ~10 days. I am thinking Brewer came down with a small cold or he got something stuck in his eye that was irritating it...

I asked about blood, poo, and urine samples, and the vet said that it was unnecessary given Brewer's age and apparent health???

Needless to say, I will be talking with the vet tech that I know through MUSHR to see if this is what I can expect going forward, or if it was an "off" day for the vet.
Typically blood is drawn annually when your pet is 7 years and older. Other than that, blood isn't usually drawn if your pet seems otherwise healthy. Prior to our current vet, Ginger had urine analysis as part of her routine check, but hasn't had it since even after switching vets. My 2 get semi-annual check-up and she mainly checks heart, ears, eyes, teeth and gums, temperature and if there are any noticable lumps or bumbs that shouldn't be there, and I think she also feels hips.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:23 pm

The only time ours have had blood drawn was in preparation for our cross-country trip last year because we'd be going into Canada, I wanted to be extra sure to have records of the dogs' health. The only time we've been asked for fecal samples was if they went in for an illness.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Mine never take blood except for a heartworm test. They do fecal though. No urine. They feel around, check ears, eyes, mouth, listen to heart, and that's about it!

Annual Checkup Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 12:21 am

I didn't start blood tests until my dogs hit 5 yrs, besides heartworm. I've always done fecals.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 3:23 am

With Delilah we always do blood, urine and fecal. Urine is pretty tricky..but we manage, she was a rescue and I know very little about her past so I prefer to stay on top of her health.

Cato is only fecal as of now, except heartworm. We got him from a fantastic breeder and his lineage is greatso I'm not nearly as concerned about his health.

Better safe than sorry...but, then again I am a worry wart.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 5:55 pm

I do annual bloodwork as well. He'll have his blood drawn in November along with HW and urine. I'd rather be proactive than to not catch something early; everybody is different though and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wait till they are considered "senior" lol (over 8 )
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Montana14
Puppy
Puppy
Montana14

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 6:18 pm

My vet has the fecal included in the annual check up. The blood work is only $10 extra so we get that done as well. Plus doing the blood work makes me feel better about my pups overall health. They don't take urine unless I ask and that's only when I think there is something wrong.
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Montana14 wrote:
My vet has the fecal included in the annual check up. The blood work is only $10 extra so we get that done as well. Plus doing the blood work makes me feel better about my pups overall health. They don't take urine unless I ask and that's only when I think there is something wrong.

$10 for bloodwork? I need to come to your vet! Mine is $53 - and that's over half off because of my employee discount. Wow.
Back to top Go down
Montana14
Puppy
Puppy
Montana14

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 9:18 pm

Care More Animal Hospital - Martinez, GA. Very Happy Yup, it's $110 w/o and $120 with blood work. He's an older more experienced vet. I'd trust him with my pups lives.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 9:41 pm

SaraB wrote:
Mine never take blood except for a heartworm test. They do fecal though. No urine. They feel around, check ears, eyes, mouth, listen to heart, and that's about it!

The same with my vet. He is also an older more experienced vet and I'm going to be very sad when he retires. He keeps things simple and very low cost. Aspen's vet visit this morning only cost me $40 for the office visit, skin scrape, testing and a weeks worth of Zinc suppliments.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Annual Checkup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Annual Checkup   Annual Checkup Empty

Back to top Go down

Annual Checkup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1