It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Choking puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

Choking puppy Empty
PostSubject: Choking puppy   Choking puppy EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 3:35 am

I'm trying to introduce a raw diet to Freya slowly.

She was having some tummy troubles when I first brought her home so I've had her on plain boiled chicken and rice which is what the people had her on when I first got her.

Each time I've tried to give her raw meat she's had TERRIBLE runns. It's just like water. After 3 days of being on nothing but boiled chicken and rice her poos are alot better and are the consistency of what I expect a puppys to be.

She has some food guarding issues so I thought I'd give her a chicken neck, but I hole onto it, so she's chewing it, but it's mine.
I held onto it and patted her head, back nad even her face, telling her she's a good girl, then it got too small for me to hold and I was about to lose my fingers when she took whe rest of it into her mouth, tried to chew it and it slid down whole.

She was trying to breathe and caugh it back up, I thought I'd killed my dog.
She finally got it back up and then decided to try again - Well same thing happened again but she managed to get it down.

So now she has about 2/3 of a whole chicken neck sitting in her tummy. She seems pretty content and really loved the chewing/gnawing and just the whole idea of something really yummy.

How can I avoid this for next time?
Was it too soon to try to inroduce necks?
And if she chokes again what can I do to help her?

PS - She didnt growl once through out the whole thing, so thats a bonus I guess :o/
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Lainaloo
Teenager
Teenager
Lainaloo

Female Join date : 2011-11-15

Choking puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choking puppy   Choking puppy EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 10:58 am

I would google how to do the Heimlich on a puppy. There are videos you can watch and pointers on when to do it and when not to do it.
Also, try cutting down the pieces of chicken while she's so little.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/laina.dotson
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Choking puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choking puppy   Choking puppy EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 11:08 am

thanks, will do.
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

Choking puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choking puppy   Choking puppy EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 pm

I've seen people say that chicken necks aren't good, and to start puppies with chicken wings. If she is gulping and choking, I'd suggest sticking with larger pieces that she has to chew, and simply removing a piece that is small enough to not chew, but large enough to choke.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Choking puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choking puppy   Choking puppy EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 6:10 pm

THanks, wings frighten me a little as they seem sharp, but my friends 12 week old pup has been handling them well for a few weeks.

I'm going to try her on some raw mince today mixed in with her rice and see how she goes.
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

Choking puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choking puppy   Choking puppy EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 4:52 pm

If you don't want to do wings, you could take it a completely different way. As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with small prey items. You can go to your local pet shop and buy frozen rats. They should have everything you need in one package. They'll have bones, meat, fat, and organs all together. I know it's not as "tidy" as chicken, but it might help your fear a bit.

Another option is feeding a turkey wing, and taking it away once she's eaten enough for the day, and then feeding the rest the next day.

Also, expect stomach issues when switching foods, no matter what you're switching to. The best way to make that go away, is to make the switch and stick with it. It took our dogs a bit over 2 weeks to become "normal" again after switching to raw. If you are having issues with accident messes (where the pup loses control), try removing some of the skin from the chicken, as it might be too much fat for her to take right away.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Choking puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choking puppy   Choking puppy EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 7:50 pm

THanks, I hand few her raw lastnight and she loved it, now to wait and see if her tummy did too Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Choking puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choking puppy   Choking puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

Choking puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1