It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Homemade Summer Treats!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ket002
Newborn
Newborn
ket002

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

Homemade Summer Treats! Empty
PostSubject: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 1:51 pm

I make these homemade treats for my husky Kyle and he really loves them! They are so easy to make and are a great summer treat for those hot summer days!

~Mix one 32 oz yogurt with half a jar of Peanut butter.

~I find it easier to melt the Peanut Butter slightly in the microwave so that it blends easier with the yogurt.

~Scoop desired amount into cupcake papers and freeze.
Makes quite a bit, but once they are frozen you can store them in a Tupperware container or in ziploc baggies in the freezer.
I prefer to fill the papers to only about halfway or less because if not then the treats seem a bit too large for Kyle and he has a hard time trying to consume them Very Happy

I like to use Dannon all natural plain or vanilla non fat/low fat Yogurt, but any brand is fine.

I also like to use Skippy Natural Peanut Butter Spread with Honey because it has no preservatives, artificial flavors or colors.

This frozen treat is packed with protein, B Vitamins, Fiber, Iron and calcuim!

Hope you guys give it a try and your husky's enjoy Smile
Let me know if you try it and have any suggestions
or comments.
Back to top Go down
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Brewer gets yogurt and peanut butter on a pretty regular basis. Served together as a frozen treat sounds kind of fun...

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 5:06 pm

Heck with the dogs I'm eating'em
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Sounds perfect! Definitely going to have to give them a try. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Cutting up bananas and freezing them in the middle of plain non-fat yogurt is also a good treat. Or mash up ripe bananas and mix with yogurt and put in ice cube trays. You can even drop a little pumpkin into yogurt and freezing them - another yummy treat - in the center of frozen yogurt, they get pumpkin. Or, you can cook down apples, mash them and freeze them or mix with yogurt and freeze, or mix with mashed banana and freeze.

All kinds of healthy, cool summer treats!

Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm

cmanding wrote:
Cutting up bananas and freezing them in the middle of plain non-fat yogurt is also a good treat. Or mash up ripe bananas and mix with yogurt and put in ice cube trays. You can even drop a little pumpkin into yogurt and freezing them - another yummy treat - in the center of frozen yogurt, they get pumpkin. Or, you can cook down apples, mash them and freeze them or mix with yogurt and freeze, or mix with mashed banana and freeze.

All kinds of healthy, cool summer treats!

This plus peanut butter and I think you are onto something.

Len, I think you are right...forget the dogs!!!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 5:48 pm

I ran across an ice cube tray in the shape of bones that I use to make their treats. Smile
Homemade Summer Treats! 57939010

Homemade Summer Treats! 36543_10
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Here4thePics wrote:

You're eating the DOGS, Len?? Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 5:51 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:

Razz
Back to top Go down
ket002
Newborn
Newborn
ket002

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:42 pm

OMG that tray is sooo cute with the little bones! Smile
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:45 pm

ket002 wrote:
OMG that tray is sooo cute with the little bones! Smile
Makes perfect frozen bite size treats for the puppers!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 9:03 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:

Why else would I name them after Filipino FOODS!

Adobo was the entree and Biko was dessert. pig

(Dr. Google can explain it all)

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm going to name my next two Lumpia and Bibinka...Or maybe Laulau and Ahi Poke...
Razz

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:

Totally forgot about that! You explained that in the name thread! Smile hehe mmmm...yummy!

My dogs names are apparently Wendy's menu items?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 3:14 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:
hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:

Totally forgot about that! You explained that in the name thread! Smile hehe mmmm...yummy!

My dogs names are apparently Wendy's menu items?

Stop making me laugh guys... I'm in bed and my fiancé keeps telling me I'm being loud. Baha...i would never eat my dogs...too skinny Wink

Kong has a frozen treat option now, it's actually a Bon ice cube tray..we picked one up for the pups too! For whatever reason our dogs LOVE strawberries. S we put strawberries in the plain yogurt and freeze. Yum.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 5:28 pm

I am so stopping at the store on my way home. These seem amazing for the dogs and I may have to try them myself. YUM!!!
Keep the receipes coming. PLEASE!!
Back to top Go down
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 12:17 am

Claudia where did you get that bone ice tray?? thats perfect for treats!!
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 1:39 am

Couple things came up on eBay. Search: "dog bone ice tray"
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 10:03 am

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dog+bone+tray

Amazon has several dog bone trays.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks for the recipes! I'll have to give them a try. I saw a similar ice tray at PetSmart the other day.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Thanks for the great ideas. I'll try these when the weather warms up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 4:09 pm

I made these about a month ago, they kept very well and Tika was crazy for them. Every time we move the tin (even if it was just pushing it out of the way) she perked up. (I put very minimal salt)

Pumpkin & Peanut Butter Dog Treats

•2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
•3 large eggs
•1/2 cup canned organic pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
•3 tablespoons organic peanut butter
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•water if needed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl or stand mixer. Sprinkle with water if needed to form ball. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut into shapes. Bake until hard, about 30 minutes. Cool completely before serving.

Back to top Go down
jen72691
Newborn
Newborn
jen72691

Female Join date : 2012-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 1:21 am

Woohoo! I'll have to try these recipes! I'm so sick of the horribly China-made treats that are harming dogs lately. So rather than worry, I'll just make my own! Smile
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 8:49 am

Banana PupCakes

2 cups water
2 each bananas
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 tbs baking powder
1 each egg
2 tbs honey

Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl combine water, mashed bananas, vanilla, egg, and honey. Add flour and baking powder. Mix well. Pour into cup-cake pans (use non-stick spray). Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Frosting- In a mixer combine 12 oz. nonfat cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp honey. Add 3 tsp cinnamon or carob powder, if desired.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 9:02 am

Boxer Brownies

1/2 cup shortening
1/8 cup honey
4 each eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup carob powder
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup carob chips

Frosting
12 oz. nonfat cream cheese (room temp)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp honey

Cream shortening and honey together thoroughly. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat well. Bake in a well greased 15 by 10 baking sheet at 350 for 25 minutes. Frosting- in a small mixer, add all ingredients and blend. Spread frosting over cooled brownies. Cut into 3-inch squares. Cut out a paw print out of paper. Hold pawprint over each square and sprinkle with carob powder. Remove stencil carefully. Yield: 12 pieces.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Summer Treats!   Homemade Summer Treats! Empty

Back to top Go down

Homemade Summer Treats!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next