It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vhrocks323
Newborn
Newborn
vhrocks323

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies Empty
PostSubject: Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies   Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi all Smile

So my soon to be husband enlisted in the army, and we are most likely going to be able to choose where we live since he has some nice connections in the military. We are strongly considering Alaska as our future home! The very next thing my fiance and i thought about were the huskies. They probably have some beautiful dogs up there!!! We both adore huskies. Our dog is mixed with one (we think) He looks like a big white german shepherd with a curly husky tail. Anyways, here is my question. If we were to buy a puppy up there and raise her, would the dog be ok when we have to move? Would she adapt to any weather i put her in? I know some of the huskies up there have long breeding lines, and were meant to be raised in the cold climate of Alaska. Would the dog still be ok if we moved somewhere warm, like Florida? I just want the dog to be ok if we move somewhere warm. The last thing i'd want is to buy a husky that's going to be miserable Sad

(oh, i also learned to never ever shave a husky from you all, so that's something i never plan to do!!!!)

Thanks,
Kelsey
Back to top Go down
vhrocks323
Newborn
Newborn
vhrocks323

PostSubject: Re: Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies   Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Oh and from what i've been researching apparently there is a difference between a Siberian husky and an Alaskan husky? The Alaskan was more so bred for dog sled racing...so i think i would just stick with the Siberian husky Smile
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies   Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 9:50 pm

It should be fine. You just don't want to make a dog acclimate to a new climate often, which doesn't sound like your intent.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies   Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Welcome!

Get ready for some real ups and downs with Army life. It definitely has its moments, but as long as you can be flexible and you have a decent support system, the benefits are awesome. I've been Navy for 12 years now. I will warn you, even if you do have connections the needs of the Army will often outweigh your desires for location. That being said, Anchorage is AMAZING, and if the Navy had billets up there I'd do whatever I could to get transferred there. I hope you guys get it!

If you don't get a cooler climate for your duty station, Huskies do just fine in the South. I'm in the FL panhandle, and we have a significant population on this forum from Southern states. You have to be a little careful during the day when it's hot out, but my dog is pretty good about letting me know she's too hot. We keep a kiddie pool in the back yard, and we just don't exercise her much during the day. She does go to day care twice a week and is outside (but with AC breaks) most of the day, and we haven't had any problems yet.

Best of luck, and we as a forum will be happy to answer any questions you have and we would be happy to help you find a rescue or reputable breeder if you so choose.

PS - the difference between Alaskan and Siberian Huskies is that Alaskans are Husky mixes, not purebred. You will see most mushers in the big races using Alaskans, but there are still several teams out there that are 100% Siberian.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies   Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Welcome!

Alaskan Husky is just a nice name for a mutt - it's huskies bred with hounds for optimum speed.

Alaska is a great place to rescue a husky, too - they have a large amount that need new homes, definitely look into that too! Smile
Back to top Go down
vhrocks323
Newborn
Newborn
vhrocks323

PostSubject: Re: Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies   Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks for the advice! And yeah, regardless of his connections i always have a feeling that the military won't ever give me 100% answers on where we live lol. That just comes with the lifestyle, all you can do is request where you want and hope for the best!!
Back to top Go down
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies   Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:54 pm

+1 to that. I just got out of the navy last friday! Congrats and welcome!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies   Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:05 pm

I think I remember a member on here once saying he/she had a hard time finding a purebred Siberian in Alaska. I can't remember for certain...

You can always get a mix! I would guess that the Alaskans are bred to really NEED to work and run and be busy ALL the time! It might get crazy at your house!! I know it's crazy enough at most of our houses!

Welcome! Can't wait to hear the end of your story!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies   Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies Empty

Back to top Go down

Quick question regarding Alaskan huskies

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1