It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents Empty
PostSubject: Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents   Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi everybody! My fiance and I are in the process of moving from an apartment to a house with a yard and will finally be able to get a dog. I have always had dogs in the family, but never a husky. I have always wanted one and have researched the breed to death. I am aware of the challenges that they can present and feel we are up to the challenge. Now is also a good time for us to get a puppy because I will be starting a graduate program and will only have 3 hours of class a day, which makes it easier for flexible puppy training schedule needs.

We have been in contact with a breeder who has a litter due around the end of June. We are not guaranteed a puppy yet and also want to make sure that we are making the right decision for both us and our dog. The house we are moving to is a rental that we are planning on staying in long term, however we will not own it. Our landlord is a private owner who used to live in the house and is very dog friendly. She is extremely open to us getting a dog and even encourages it. Here's my question: The yard just has a standard 4ft chain link fence and since we will not own we cannot build a better one or make changes. I know that the best option for a husky is a tall privacy fence, but is it possible to make it work with a chain link one? I know that we may never be able to leave him alone unattended in the yard and will have to make sure he is exercised to the max to keep the energy level down at home. Any suggestions? Wise words?

And just to add: If we do end up with a puppy, I hope to at least do some agility classes for fun and exercise, even if it's not super serious. I am just looking forward to a buddy to do more stuff with!

And if I can figure out how to post pictures, here are the mom and dad of the litter:
Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents Dad11
Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents Mom10

Last edited by MGoBlue on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents   Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:41 pm

hopefully congrats! as far as the chain link fence, i know thats very easy for them to jump over. i would wait for someone on here with a fence that can be more help since i live in a apartment. To post pictures use a site like photobucket.com and upload your photos. Copy the img code and paste it in to your post. That will show the picture! Wow the mom and dad are very good looking! You will have one handsome pup if you get one! I hope everything works out for you and the husband!
good luck!! Very Happy
adam
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents   Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 9:02 pm

Sad Can't see the pics!

Smile Welcome to the forum! 4ft chain link can be done, you just have to watch your dogs when they are out. I have a 4ft chain link and *knock on wood* my girls haven't tried testing it yet.

Also awesome you want to do agility! It's soooo fun! I've done a little with my girls and I used to run my sheltie in agility when I was younger. Both my girls now love it.

Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents   Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 9:39 pm

wave Welcome! Can't wait to see pics of your new baby!

We also rent and had a 4ft chain link fence in the front of the yard for years! We finally found somebody who would install a 6ft fence for $200. The owner approved and we put it up. I never leave my dogs outside unattended though and we've never had a problem. Now with the 6ft fence I might leave them outside for 2 minutes tops or watching them through the window, but that's it. It's do-able.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents   Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Sara, I see you are from Michigan. I recognize those dogs. Who is the breeder? I can always help you out. I'm from southeast Michigan - I'm assuming you are too, seeing as you are a maize and blue fan! GO BLUE!

Edit: I looked through the husky breeders we were interested in, Bralin Siberians, right?

Last edited by mheath0429 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents   Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Sorry, I forgot to answer the fence question. We are in a rental as well, with two huskies. We have a 4 ft chain link and it is fine for us. We never let them out alone, so there is no worry of escape, but we also have 3 different tie outs set up around the yard, because Cato was so little I was nervous he could fit through anything. Assuming the pup will never be left unattended, I wouldn't worry.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents   Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 9:56 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Sara, I see you are from Michigan. I recognize those dogs. Who is the breeder? I can always help you out. I'm from southeast Michigan - I'm assuming you are too, seeing as you are a maize and blue fan! GO BLUE!

The breeder is Bralin Siberians. I contacted a couple different breeders in the area and they seemed to be the best option for us. I've talked to the breeder over email and phone and she is very nice and informative. She is also actually the president of the Detroit Area Husky Club (or whatever the name is). And yes, Michigan born and bred. UofM for undergraduate studies in architecture, and now I've decided to come back for my grad program in the fall in Urban Planning.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents   Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 12:10 am

Welcome, Not all huskies jump and climb, you will want to watch to make sure as he/she gets older and obviously not let them out un-attended.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents   Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 2:12 am

Kale and I welcome you from California! I have a 7ft fence and still dont leave him unattended outside lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents   Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 12:57 pm

Welcome!!

We rent, as well, and have both a privacy fence and chain link. Rio can scale it in a HEARTBEAT, but she never has. Kya is too lazy to try, but she does like to dig under the house. lol.

We installed a doggie door, and that's the only way I trust Rio outside, without me being there, constantly. The only time she has ever gotten out of the fence was when we weren't home, and I think she was looking for us. Other than that, she will go outside, and then come right back in, if I don't come out with her. She is a goober.

You can also do a rolling bar on the top, if it makes you feel better. I know a few people have used them on here, and I looked into it. It's not *too* expensive.

We have also installed an underground fence around the side that has the 4 foot, and they have stayed away from it, but it does require the use of a shock collar, and a lot of people don't like that. This option was the cheapest. I got it from eBay for like 50 bucks Smile

There are LOTS of options, just depends on what you are most comfortable with.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents   Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 5:30 pm

Welcome! and a soon to be congrats i hope! stunning parents. if this is a rental and you are in contact with the owner, do you think she would agree to letting YOU pay for and install a taller wood fence? i can't see a landlord saying no to an improvement that is not coming out of their pocket.....that and you hope to be there long term. you could put in some taller post and make the fence higher if you need to and that would be easy to remove after you leave. as others have said they make it work, now my 2 they clear a 3' chicken wire fence hardly getting a running start, our 5' and 6' wood fence has done the trick so far on keeping them in, i think in part that they cant see the other side!

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents   Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents Empty

Back to top Go down

Hopeful Soon to be Husky Parents

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1