It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Seppela breed of Siberian

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

Seppela breed of Siberian Empty
PostSubject: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Has anyone out there ever heard of the Seppela sled dog? We did research, and I tell you, our Nanuk looks just like a dog we saw on a website. The picture was from 1934 and it was uncanny how much like this dog he looked. I am trying to relocate the pic to post here. Any info anyone has about this particular breed of Sibe would be interesting to me.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 10:15 pm

I've heard of them before, but sorry I'm of no informative use. My take was they're a closer to original form type of sled dogs. Real driven runners. Of course, I might be WAY off the mark. But you gotta love the way they look.
Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 11:07 am

http://www.seppalasleddogs.com/

http://siberian-husky-bloodlines.seppalasleddogs.com/index.htm

A bunch of info on here plus tons of other bloodlines off to the left of the page
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 10:35 pm

Yes, I have been on the first website. That's where I saw a pic that reminded me of Nanuk. Although, the coat one one of e other dogs was similar to Isis. The woman we got her from mentioned she thought Isis might have seppela in her, so that's when we started looking into the breed.
Back to top Go down
AraiNI
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2010-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 12:22 am

I have a friend who owns three. They are usually only for serious sledding people, as they have a LOT of energy. They tend to be a bit leaner and faster than Sibes. If you have any specific questions, I could relay them to her for an answer Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.northerninuitusa.webs.com
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Just curious as to the typical look. Have been told Isis has the look of the line, yet think Nanuk is the spitting image of one in the photo from the 1930s.
Back to top Go down
AraiNI
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 10:14 pm

Ami is on the left, she's my sibe, Logan is about 16 weeks? in the picture, and Grinch is i think a year and a half there
Seppela breed of Siberian DSC02243

Grinch and Ami
Seppela breed of Siberian DSC02272

Hazard is on the left, also seppela, Grinch and Ami, again. Hazard picked up some crazy fungal that had nearly killed him, he's now walking, and almost running, but I dont' think he'll ever get to join the team...such a shame because you can see how badly he wants to be moving around with all the others.
Seppela breed of Siberian DSC02251

(Left to right) Hazard, Lupa (Northern Inuit), Grinch, Ami
Seppela breed of Siberian 047

I love this one
Seppela breed of Siberian DSC02249

Seppela breed of Siberian DSC02276

I think I have a video, too...I'll post that when I find it
Back to top Go down
AraiNI
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 10:17 pm

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 10:34 pm

Oh MAN! Hazard just about breaks my heart Sad What a dear!

Thanks for posting these! Very informative indeed Smile

Seppela breed of Siberian Hailey10
Back to top Go down
AraiNI
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 10:51 pm

I had to search for what he had but it was: Cryptococcosis...its typically a cat disease...and as far as how rare it is for a dog to get it...i think it was number 4 on the "hardest to possibly get" list...and something like a .0001 chance of it ever happening to your dog. Its caused by smelling a fungus...

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2102&aid=255
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 11:14 pm

By golly if I didn't learn something today. Thanks! That link says that in a healthy dog population up to 14% have the fungus present, but it takes some other sort of weakness in the dog's immune system to show symptoms. Sounds nasty, I bet Ridik's bird excrement eating face has it. You could teach my Husky anything with a piece of goose poop.
Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Ive noticed alot of Solid white Huskies have seppela traits or so the interenet portrays
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Still not sure what Isis is mixed with....these pics make me more confused than ever. I am going to see if I can post the pic of the one I think looks like Nanuk. There must have been a lot of change from the original breed......
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 9:20 pm

Seppela breed of Siberian Burkab11BURKA OF SEPPALA was born 24 May 1934, by KREE VANKA out of TOSCA, bred by Wheeler. Sold to Fred Lovejoy in New England, he is shown here with Lovejoy's trainer Joe Booth. Bred to DELZEUE OF COLD RIVER he sired BUGS and VALUIKI OF COLD RIVER.

He REALLY reminds me of Nanuk, except Nookie is bigger.....
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 9:29 pm

Seppela breed of Siberian Seppsh10LEONHARD SEPPALA on board ship in autumn of 1926, bound for Seattle, WA, with the dogs that went to Maine with him. Identifiable dogs from left are BIJOU, TOGO, MATTE, SEPP III and FRITZ.
Seppela breed of Siberian Seppsh11
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Not the best pics, but the Seppelas AiraNI have look way different. The lines must have changed drastically.....
Back to top Go down
AraiNI
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:03 pm

well, from what I learned when talking to our friends is that basically seppelas are bred for nothing except racing in mind. So they are leaner and faster. I was told that the breeder won't sell any of the pups unless they were going to be raced because they tend to have a lot more energy then regular sibes and tend not to make the best pets. As for behavior, I think they are a bit more skittish then regular sibes, and really they never stop moving, they either run and run and run, or the just pace waiting for a chance to run. Our friends also have a bunch of malamutes (you can hear them in the video), so its really interesting when we all get together.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seppela breed of Siberian   Seppela breed of Siberian Empty

Back to top Go down

Seppela breed of Siberian

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1