It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Well, you really do learn something new everyday.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

Well, you really do learn something new everyday. Empty
PostSubject: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:14 pm

Well, I was talking with ceara last night about how to tell if a male is neutered, I was asking because my neighbor recently adopted a rescue dog and had no info on him and asked if theres a way he could tell.

So I started thinking, how do I really know ax is neutered, I just took the word of his previous owner, and his vet took my word based on hers. Well, to put it bluntly, he has his nuts. LOL. I wonder though why he never tried anything with any of the female dogs that have come and gone through here though?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:33 pm

That's weird, when a neuter is done, the testicles are completely removed. Unless there is some new high-tech procedure that I'm unaware of...which is very possible haha There's something new in medicine everyday; it's hard to keep up lol!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:58 pm

A FYI they can put in fake testicles if the owner wants to pay for it.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 2:02 pm

ljelgin wrote:

lol! sry but that just made me giggle Very Happy The things people do always amaze me! lol a cosmetic neuter!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 3:17 pm

ljelgin wrote:

Really its true.
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 4:46 pm

Too funny.

Although, I'd be a little concerned that your vet has seen Ax so much and was never like... uh, I don't think he's fixed?
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 5:56 pm

I watched an entire 20/20 episode on fake testicles, called NEUTICALS! and how some owners get them HUGE because it makes the dog feel more at ease. Really? Because the dog cares how big his testes are, and whether people can watch them swing.

ETA: They have actually been around since 95, created by a guy in Missouri. -.-

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 6:44 pm

Embry's neutered and doesn't have testicles, when they're neutered they're removed, Ares on the other hand needs his removed asap, it grosses me out lol!
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 7:17 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
Ares on the other hand needs his removed asap, it grosses me out lol!

Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 7:51 pm

I'm still a little thrown off by this topic... you never realized he had balls? That's one of the things I instantly notice on any dog I see, lol.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 8:42 pm

Heather! wrote:
I'm still a little thrown off by this topic... you never realized he had balls? That's one of the things I instantly notice on any dog I see, lol.
Well I noticed he had balls, they are very hard to miss lol, but I never knew that when neutered they take out the testes, I thought it was more like a vasectomy and they snip the tubes, but since he has his testes Im assuming he isnt neutered, we do have an apt tomorrow to go see his vet and find out about this lol.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 8:53 pm

I don't wanna be an ass, but you may wanna find another vet. If he has balls, he is definitely not neutered. It's not your fault by any means, but the vet should have realized instantly.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 8:57 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I don't wanna be an ass, but you may wanna find another vet. If he has balls, he is definitely not neutered. It's not your fault by any means, but the vet should have realized instantly.
Do you think so? I had my doubts about some other stuff I noticed before this, but I thought maybe I was just over-reacting. I think I will see if theres something online with recommended vets in my area. Honestly, to me Axel is pretty over weight but his vet tells me no he is fine leave him be. But deep down I really feel he is over weight! He lays down on his side and you can jiggle his stomach fat that lays on the floor.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 8:59 pm

For reals, ditch this guy. Time to get a new one Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 9:03 pm

We switched to holistic, best decision we ever made:

http://www.holisticvetlist.com/

Search in your area. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 9:08 pm

LINK

Im researching for a new vet for ax n roxy, this site looks pretty promising Very Happy

What is the difference between holistic?
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Lol i like now that in going to be synonymous with a testes conversation!

Well, you really do learn something new everyday. Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Niraya wrote:
Lol i like now that in going to be synonymous with a testes conversation!

<3 it is because of you my love that I was groping poor axels ball sac feeling for testicles xD haha.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Lol send my apologies to poor Axel!

Well, you really do learn something new everyday. Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 12:38 am

MetalMama wrote:
LINK

Im researching for a new vet for ax n roxy, this site looks pretty promising Very Happy

Conventional is your standard vet - most push heartworm/flea meds, recommend science diet and think vaccinating your pet every year is necesary.

My holistic vet tries to avoid chemicals, suggests that I use heart worm meds every 45 days, and only when it is warm here, there is no need in the winter(this is not what my first vet said). She also is proud of me for switching to raw with the huskies.

Ultimately, a holistic vet has your dogs best interest in mind, a lot of conventional vets are more concerned about money - or just ignorant to all of the suffering being caused by poor diet, over vaccinating and topicals.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 11:23 am

Whats stopping an ordinary vet from claiming to be holistic?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 12:44 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
MetalMama wrote:

Conventional is your standard vet - most push heartworm/flea meds, recommend science diet and think vaccinating your pet every year is necesary.

My holistic vet tries to avoid chemicals, suggests that I use heart worm meds every 45 days, and only when it is warm here, there is no need in the winter(this is not what my first vet said). She also is proud of me for switching to raw with the huskies.

Ultimately, a holistic vet has your dogs best interest in mind, a lot of conventional vets are more concerned about money - or just ignorant to all of the suffering being caused by poor diet, over vaccinating and topicals.
While some of that is certainly true, I think that's a really unfair and crude depiction of the difference between the two-- with a lot of over-simplification in there. I can most certainly say in my experience, that is just not true.

I think the best way to explain the difference is to explain WHAT a holistic vet does. Similar to the difference between an MD (Medical Doctor) and a DO (Doctor of Osteopathy), a holistic vet certainly DOES look at the whole animal. Rather than relying on medication and treating the symptoms, a holistic vet will look at the underlying causes of most conditions/problems, which are usually obesity, poor diet, and environmental factors. A holistic vet is usually more cognizant of other types of medicine such as acupuncture and natural remedies over medications and chemicals. They would likely be more inclined to discourage over-use of heartworm, chemical flea and tick preventatives and will usually have a much stronger understanding of animal nutrition (which is why they are usually strong advocates of raw feeding and healthier diets).

Conventional vets rely on convention. They don't always have a strong understanding of animal nutrition and are usually quicker to treat the symptoms instead of the underlying cause. That DOES NOT mean they are more focused on money. I don't have the luxury of a holistic vet in my area, but all of my vets have been understanding of my desire NOT to over-medicate (and have suggested some alternative methods) and truly care about the health of my dogs. They simply have a different view on how to treat them, which is through more conventional standards.

I just think it's very unfair to say that MOST conventional vets push science diet, flea and tick meds, and are ignorant about obesity and poor diet. I really think that's not your norm.

Well, you really do learn something new everyday. Hailey10
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Okay, sorry. I guess I've just had some very bad experiences.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 1:30 pm

You're fine Smile For the future though, it's better to state that stuff clearly as a personal opinion and not make it sound like a fact. The question was to define the difference between the two, not give an opinion as your experiences. So while you're clearly more than welcome to give your opinion and experiences, just make sure that you express it as one Smile

Well, you really do learn something new everyday. Hailey10
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:13 pm

Tori,

Im not trying to start anything, I really am just curious - who do you think is responsible for.over vaccinating then? Manufacturers?

I've just never met a conventional vet (in the greater metro.detroit area) that even offers a titer testing option. The 5+ vets that I have seen in person (not counting the many phone consults) all give me scrutiny for refusing boosters and optional vaccines. We only get rabies because it's the law.

Just wondering what your two cents are Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. Empty

Back to top Go down

Well, you really do learn something new everyday.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next