It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Well, you really do learn something new everyday.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Well, you really do learn something new everyday. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Simple. The owners. The vet can give me as much shit as he wants. If that were to happen, it would result in two things: 1. I say "no thanks, the law only requires this and I would prefer not to vaccinate the rest." and 2. I would find a different vet.

My conversations with my vets are always that: conversations. My vet doesn't force me to do anything I don't want to by law and if he did, I wouldn't go to him.

The beauty of it is that we, as owners in a capitalistic society, have a choice of which vet we go to see. Not all conventional vets are created equal and not all holistic vets are created equal either. My dogs go to the vet that converses with me, tells me the pros and cons, and lets me choose the course of action for MY dogs in accordance with the law Wink

ETA: You have every right to ask questions on my beliefs and opinions, Megan. Just because you may believe differently, doesn't mean we can't talk about it. The point of this new policy is to stop all the nasty comments going back and forth when people disagree. I'm not hurt by you asking for more information on my beliefs. We all learn things... I learn new stuff about huskies and my dogs all the time. It's a matter of having an open mind and a respectful manner. The way you asked me to elaborate was just fine.

Well, you really do learn something new everyday. - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:31 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Im not trying to start anything, I really am just curious - who do you think is responsible for.over vaccinating then? Manufacturers?

i cant say for sure but i would think there are a whole lot of reasons why. i know we have some vet tech people here and i hope they chime in.
i would say it starts in school, then moves to who they intern with. they open a practice and continue the "training" they received. then the reps step in and start pushing the pills, shots, food and then the vet is feed with all that info.
Just like the doctors we see that are influenced by the latest trends and pills and what not to "cure" us with out looking at what in our life we might be able to change and not have a pill cure us.
this world revolves around quick fixes and over medicating

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:31 pm

But, don't you think the lack of education from veterinarians to pet parents could be causing some of the issue as well? No vet will tell you that over vaccination can lead to terrifying immune-suppression and in turn, could be the reason your dog ends up with cancer or chronic illness.

I am certainly not saying you are wrong, but I think many pet parents, while responsible as well, are in the dark about the damaging effects annual boosters have on their pets. I know I have spoken to many individuals about the issues surrounding annuals and they were completely unaware of the dangers lurking behind them.

It's just a vicious cycle and until Merial and other big name pharmaceutical companies stop interfering in veterinary medicine, I'm afraid most people will continue to poison their pets.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:39 pm

Just because that's the way that society works in general, does not mean that that's the way we have to operate. If your doctor told you to take a certain medication everyday would you do it without question? Or would you ask questions? Would you use your judgement when something seems off and research it?

My guess is that you wouldn't blindly follow your doctor's advice if something seemed astray to you. Why do we do that with vets? Just because a box tells me to give Frontline every 30 days doesn't mean I blindly do so. The package says 30 days, but if you read it closely, there's enough in there for 45... so I spoke to my vet about it, we talked, and agreed that so long as I make sure to keep up with the schedule, every 45 days is perfectly fine (we have a VERY high flea and tick population here and I haven't chosen to go holistic yet).

The problem is that many people don't use their own common sense to go through life. They blindly follow the suggestions of others.... and while there are many risks and complications with over vaccinating and over-medicating, there are also many people and animals who don't have a problem. Until there's an overwhelming problem, many people won't bother to change. It's the sad truth.

I use my own brain and research skills. I ask my doctors for their advice and ask questions about what I have learned. I do so for myself and for my animals. No one is responsible for educating me but myself.

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:45 pm

I think the same way doctors are "pushed" into medicating people... Vets are "pushed" into vaccination and medication. Now, of course, there are vets who don't agree and do their own research. I don't think that makes "conventional" vets bad... But I do think it makes them less well rounded.

While, yes, in the end it is your decision and your call... Most view vets as someone they can trust and someone who has the best interest of their pet at heart. The truth is many people do not feel comfortable to go against their vets advice or suggestions. While I can't say that makes people totally blameless... I don't feel it puts fault totally on them either.

My vet is a conventional vet. But they like how my dogs look, feel, and how for the most part are very healthy. We leave the vaccination and food part out of it.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Kristina, I very much agree. Very well put, thank you!

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:51 pm

Megan, there is no one party to blame. Yes, it's the lack of education, misinformation, pharmaceutical companies pushing, uneducated pet owners, AND even pet owners who want a "quick fix" like I call it (those that want to have all shots done and forget about any possibility of the dog picking up anything).

It is unfortunate that you haven't had a good experience with a conventional vet. I take my dogs to a holistic vet, however I've also seen 3 different conventional vets. Of the 4 conventional vets, 2 were old school and just horrible, 1 was middle of the road (pushed unnecessary vaccines and crappy food, but respected my decision not to use them), and 1 was close to holistic (was against over vaccination, didn't recommend crappie foods, but still used conventional medication rather than holistic remedies). Just in those 4 vets there was a HUGE difference yet they were all conventional vets. Wink

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 3:23 pm

Seriously, I think this thread has helped me learn some new stuff too. Smile

I hope this argument (discussion?) didn't make me seem ignorant, but I'm glad we had it. I don't like to be misinformed. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Discussion Wink

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 8:29 pm

I guess i got lucky with the vets that i work for. They give the clients an aggressive approach to try and find out the cause of the ailment and a symptomatic approach to just treat the symptoms. There's actually a 50/50 splint of what owners decide. They also inform clients of nutritional supplements before going straight to medications and they are conventional vets. The only thing that i disagree with is their opinions on nutrition and grooming, but thats just a lack of continued education on things that aren't sponsered by Hills. As for vx, they tend too look at the whole picture and the lifestyle of the pet. We rarely vaccinate dogs and cats over 11 years old and don't give cats leuk vx if they are only indoors (or once every 2 years if owner prefers). We also split up the vx if they are due for multiple ones to refuce the chances of a reaction and for general health. We do offer titer testing. Although the county i live in doesn't accept that for a rabies Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 10:12 pm

The vet clinic I worked for pushed vaccinations because it got people to come in to get their dogs looked over once a year. After the dog was vaccinated for rabies and distemper/parvo combo at one year of age, they were placed on a three year rotating vaccine schedule by splitting up the distemper and parvo shots. The next year they would get vaccinated for distemper, parvo the following year, rabies the third year, then repeat. By doing this, the vets thought it would increase the likelyhood of seeing the dogs yearly. If they recommended getting the distemper/parvo combo and rabies every three years, some people would just birng their dogs in every three years. Many people felt that yearly exams were pointless if their dog wasn't getting vaccinated. Unfortunatly this is wrong, as yearly exams are extremly important for other reasons. Unfortunatly some people will only take their dog to the vet if they get that little reminder postcard that says their dog is due for something.

I have not had an issue finding "traditional" vets that will titer test my dogs. I had one think that I was wasting my money, and should just get the shot because it was cheaper, but he didn't fight me on the issue. I love my holistic vet, but I have to drive home if I want to see her. I had good luck on the first try with a traditional vet here. Upon our first encounter I clearly stated my views on vaccination, food, and other things, and told him if he had a problem with any of it that he should let me know now so we don't waste each others time. Thankfully he said it was a nice change of pace to hear someone who cared so much for their pets, and liked that I told him upfront instead of springing it on him later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well, you really do learn something new everyday.   Well, you really do learn something new everyday. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Well, you really do learn something new everyday.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2