It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The agouti gene/genetics research I have started

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

The agouti gene/genetics research I have started Empty
PostSubject: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 8:53 am

The agouti gene is present in most mammals including people!

How many people knew? Because I surely did not!

I've started my journey into genetics and understanding - at least on a basic level!

The agouti gene/genetics research I have started Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:51 am

Ceara, do you have a link to the post on this? I had no idea

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:23 pm

You been talking with Debbie? I know she's been doing a lot of color genetics research.

The agouti gene/genetics research I have started Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:50 pm

I knew, but only because I did a lot of my undergraduate research on rodent color genetics.
Yeah I'm kind of a science dork...

I would love to do research on husky color genetics! It's awesome you found a "mentor" to help you learn about it. You'll be our resident genetics expert in no time!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:01 pm

Jennifer - I don't have a link to anything saying specifically stating "humans have the agouti gene" - but it comes from a scientist (and Melissa backed it up lol)

Sara - I have been talking with Debbie! I knew she was doing the research and I was talking with her about dogs - it just kind of popped up. Have you talked with her at all?

Melissa - I was given an article about the yellow and brown mice sisters to read. It was fascinating. The entirety of the way the genetics work fascinates me at a very basic level (and only because I'm an idiot and once you start using big fancy words I get confused easily lol). There is a ton of stuff that goes into the agouti gene.

For those that have asked me to post what I've learned - it's going to take awhile until I have learned much, much more about it and I have a much better grasp/understanding and can sort through it with relative ease. lol

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:09 pm

Ceara,
can you change the name of the post to reference the agouti gene or the research/your learning so you can pop in and update it and it makes it more search friendly. i know i like learning little tidbits here and there Smile im not a big science geek, and i dont go out finding things to learn. but i will read stuff people post.

Niraya

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:13 pm

It has been done! I in truth don't know how much/often I'll be updating in the near future until I really have a decent understanding.

But really I can say - it is nowhere near as simple as it was made out to be.

Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:31 pm

This is really interesting! I'll for sure keep up with this thread and will be checking for updates. What made you decide to start looking into this? Agouti has been very interesting to me the last few months.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:37 pm

I looked up a bit on the Husky Colors website and found out that the deep red of Chili's coat means there's an agouti in his gene pool - I found that fascinating!!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:
This is really interesting! I'll for sure keep up with this thread and will be checking for updates. What made you decide to start looking into this? Agouti has been very interesting to me the last few months.

The Siberian color lists are far from "descriptive" (lack of a better word) and there is often times a lot of confusion when it comes to colors and describing what a possible color could be. Even the SHCA color description has so many different ways it could be interpreted. The colors all fascinate me so I decided that I would like to have at least a basic understanding of them and what goes into them.

The agouti I've been fascinated with for awhile and never had the opportunity to discuss it in depth with a scientist and now that the opportunity has presented itself I plan to take advantage of it!

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:42 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
I looked up a bit on the Husky Colors website and found out that the deep red of Chili's coat means there's an agouti in his gene pool - I found that fascinating!!

I didn't get into the reds - but maybe this will help

This is a quote from my conversation earlier:

Quote :
Personally I think the written SHCA color description only describes a small portion of genetic agoutis. Even throwing out black/whites and potentially gray/whites, there can be a huge variation of shading in litters by parents with classic agouti colors.

This part is in reference to my asking the question "So any number of gray/whites could really be agouti"

Quote :
Could be, there needs to more testing. One of the leading canine genetics researchers seems to think they are though

Last edited by Niraya on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 6:06 pm

That's fascinating! I will look forward to updates as you learn more Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 1:07 am

I have been getting into the color genetics with my horses, and would be really interested in seeing how they work in dogs as well. In horses, the agouti gene can be dominate wich causes the extension gene to restrict black marks to the legs and other specific parts of the body. Agouti acting as the reseccice gene along with the extension causes the horse to be all black. the other ways that the agouti gene can present itsself causes the browns, bays, and is present in the reds. Interesting to know that it presents itself in reds in dogs as well.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 8:49 pm

https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsiberianhuskyeducation.webs.com%2FSiberian%2520Coat%2520ColorXML4.mht&h=dAQEcEWLSAQF2XRmHTfI9_5AxcU4Q65Qajvjlvfa_38hnhQ&enc=AZPvgx4Mzksn30V9aZBXA-pk4yOaETV0F8CGI97_FjXiHiSnfO97gShsxsGUhF7oZyoQz1MACqK0xnmIQm1HwOzJPD9-wK6mrhdejsnNQtecIQ

(hopefully that works)
Written by a friend - I think you guys will find the read very interesting.

Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:51 pm

Niraya wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsiberianhuskyeducation.webs.com%2FSiberian%2520Coat%2520ColorXML4.mht&h=dAQEcEWLSAQF2XRmHTfI9_5AxcU4Q65Qajvjlvfa_38hnhQ&enc=AZPvgx4Mzksn30V9aZBXA-pk4yOaETV0F8CGI97_FjXiHiSnfO97gShsxsGUhF7oZyoQz1MACqK0xnmIQm1HwOzJPD9-wK6mrhdejsnNQtecIQ

(hopefully that works)
Written by a friend - I think you guys will find the read very interesting.

I love this article because it has a puppy pic of Kitty and about five of Kitty's relatives pictured in it! Kitty's breeder sent me this article a while back. Its very interesting and informative.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The agouti gene/genetics research I have started   The agouti gene/genetics research I have started Empty

Back to top Go down

The agouti gene/genetics research I have started

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1