It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Housebreaking Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mack725
Newborn
Newborn
Mack725

Housebreaking Help Empty
PostSubject: Housebreaking Help   Housebreaking Help EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 2:00 am

It's a long read, but any help would be greatly appreciated Very Happy

Hello! I just adopted a 3 month old husky puppy yesterday, and I absolutely love him =) I know it's going to be a lot of work since he is not trained, but I don't mind the work to put into training him, I just need some helpful advice and ideas as to how to housebreak him until I can take him to training classes which start in a week. The person I adopted him only used potty pads and never took him outside. I have used the potty pads and just today he has been using them to go number 1 on them (hooray!). However, when it comes to number 2, he seems to leave the potty pads or the backyard after going number 1, snoop around in a corner or two in the house and then hide behind a table or a closed off area, and then he will do his business behind there. I have taken him outside to get used to going outside because that is what our other dog does and I would like for him to get used to that as well and eventually eliminate the potty pads completely. He does seem to understand going outside for number 1, but he always holds it and waits until he get back inside to go number 2, which usually ends up being behind our TV or in a corner hidden by something. I have waited up to 30 mins outside so he has time to sniff and find a place to go number 2, but instead he rolls around and plops down on the grass after going number 1, but he has yet to do number 2 outside. What can I do until the training classes start, to prevent the accidents he is having indoors? Overall he is a really good puppy and has already picked up his name, "come" and "sit" but I would like some ideas as to what I can do to help him understand to go number 1 and number 2 outside together. I've tried to take him outside when I see him head to a corner or behind something, but when I get to the potty area outside, he runs around and plops down and starts munching on grass. He also seems to sniff at everything now which is understandable since he is in a new home, so it's hard to tell when he needs to go number 2, sometimes also number 1, but he is getting better with number one consistently on the potty pads (yay!). I do praise him when I see him going on the potty pads or going outside so he understands he is doing the right thing, but I am stumped as to what I can do now for his number 2. When I am home or my mom is home, we take him out every 30 mins or every hour and ten mins after he eats or drinks and I let him sniff, roll around and try to do his business. Mostly its unsuccessful with him just running around or plopping down and munching on grass and trying to find new things to munch on and eat, but he has done it a few times. I know he is capable of doing this, but right now, I would like to try to prevent as many accidents that he has inside. I hope I am not taking him out too much, so he thinks its play time, but I just want to make sure he doesn't have too many accidents inside. I also have been timing it to see how long it is between his meal and eliminating, but I just can't seem to get it right at this point.

Overall:
1. How to lessen accidents he has that aren't on the potty pads or help him understand.
2. If he does have an accident, what is the appropriate approach to telling him "no" and to go outside for that.
3. What's a good schedule to have right now to take him out at 3 months.
4. How long should I give him when he goes outside.

THANK YOU FOR READING AND ANY HELP AT ALL Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Housebreaking Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housebreaking Help   Housebreaking Help EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 7:47 am

Hello and Welcome to the forums.

Retraining proper out door elimination shouldn't be all that bad with a 3 month old. It is just going to take a little bit of time and effort to reinforce the new area and rules.

Quote :
when it comes to number 2, he seems to leave the potty pads or the backyard after going number 1, snoop around in a corner or two in the house and then hide behind a table or a closed off area, and then he will do his business behind there

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of when your pup is going to PooP. If it always seems to happy after a Pee then you can be on edge and really watch for any warning signs that your pup is having to void.

One great way that can help you, especially considering your pup is still young, is using an umbilical (Or attaching a leash to your pup while inside the house and tie the other end to your belt).

It isn't some form of punishment at all. Though your pup will have limited access to full freedom while attached it will help you notice or get a better warning sign when you think it might be time for your pup to void his bowls. Once you get that cue drop him outside and wait it out, as long as it takes. When it happens give as much reward as you can (Verbal praise or even a treat at first).

The umbilical also works in helping your pup understand your role in his life a tiny bit better. When attached to you and you move about they will as well be forced to move around with you. This reinforces weight into your actions and can help a great deal while training later on in life.

Quote :
but he always holds it and waits until he get back inside to go number 2, which usually ends up being behind our TV or in a corner hidden by something.

In early stages of this you REALLY need to out last your pups stubbornness of wanting to do it inside. If you have a general idea of when it's going to happen make yourself a warm cup of tea and just sit out there with a book waiting. It is just something that has to be fought for at first and gets easier after that first time and praise.

Quote :
he runs around and plops down and starts munching on grass.

Another way to help start a BM off is to walk. Attaching him to a leash when he is on the grass in your yard and just walking around the grass for a bit can help work the BM out. This will also force him to focus a tiny bit more instead of playing until the BM is over and done.... then the little Tike can go back to playing.

Quote :
If he does have an accident, what is the appropriate approach to telling him "no" and to go outside for that

Unless you catch them in the act there isn't one. You clean it up and remove the smell with an enzyme cleaner.

If you catch them in the act it's different. Just a loud CLAP and a NO is generally enough to startle them into stopping long enough to pick them up and place them outside. Once they eliminate outside Praise and pet and play.

You can also try and just move them mid stream so to speak, instead of startling the little guy, but in my experience you just end up with pee all over the place and yourself. But if it is just a BM you should be able to move him outside with minimal mess.

Once outside just wait it out.

Quote :
What's a good schedule to have right now to take him out at 3 months

Your pup will only be able to hold it's urine for 1 hour per month old he is (Plus or minus an Hour). You should be safe at the 3 hour Mark, but shoot for 2 if it's happening a lot.

Your pup will BM 2 to 3 times a day.

Quote :
How long should I give him when he goes outside.

As long as it takes at first!

Good luck and keep us up to date.

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

Housebreaking Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housebreaking Help   Housebreaking Help EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 12:01 pm

Chris always has great advice . . . I just have a couple of suggestions to add. . .

First, the next time your pup voids in the house. . . instead of picking it up and throwing it away, pick it up and take it to the area in the yard where you would prefer for him to void. Then the next time you take him out to void, take him directly to that area on a leash. The scent will help him understand that he is supposed to void there.

Second, A little tip for clean up . . . use a little vinegar (I just learned this and it works wonders, so I am excited to share)!

Finally, be carefull with the pee pads. I know plenty of people with all different breeds of dogs who are now stuck using pee pads all the time because they started it during the potty training phase. Once a dog knows it is acceptable to go inside, it will ALWAYS be acceptable to go inside! Just set up a schedule as Chris has suggested and stick too it. Much better and less expensive in the long run!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Housebreaking Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housebreaking Help   Housebreaking Help EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 12:43 pm

1. How to lessen accidents he has that aren't on the potty pads or help him understand.

My method is a little rough, but it works. When I catch Juneau in the act, I hold her down and put her nose very close to the pee (not touching). I then sternly say, "NO! No pee! Bad girl!" Then give her a swat on the butt. Then I scoop her up and put her in the kennel. Surprisingly, she lays down quietly and waits until I let her out. I usually wait about an hr then let her out. She knows she isn't supposed to pee in the house, either. Luckily, at 3 1/2 months, she may have one accident a week now. +1 on the enzyme cleaner. You'll find these anywhere. Petsmart, walmart, petco, etc.

2. If he does have an accident, what is the appropriate approach to telling him "no" and to go outside for that.
As Chris mentioned, if you don't catch him in the act, it's too late. Juneau still remembers if I bring her over to the spot where she peed. She knows she did something wrong. Just follow the method I wrote for question one.

When you take him outside, let him do his business. He will usually have to pee ever 1/2 hr to 1 hr. When he pees, throw a party! Show him you're happy about that. Give him a treat and some pets. I'd wait until he poops out there too, and do the same thing.

3. What's a good schedule to have right now to take him out at 3 months.

Juneau tells me when she wants out by running over to the door. It's usually once an hr if she's awake. If she sleeps, it's once every 2 hrs. She sleeps the whole night without having to pee. If he starts to whine or run to the door, he's signaling that he wants out! I ask Juneau if she has to potty, and she answers back if she has to go.

4. How long should I give him when he goes outside.

Unfortunately, as long as it takes. Read a book or just enjoy nature. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mack725
Newborn
Newborn
Mack725

Housebreaking Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housebreaking Help   Housebreaking Help EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 2:15 am

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions!! I can use all the help I can get right now.
Do you think it will be a good idea since he's sort of using his potty pads, to use a gate outside to create a smaller area to do his business in so he won't be distracted? I think he's getting distracted too easily and treats going out for business as play time. How do I prevent this?
Also since he goes in the house, how can I break him of that habit? Should I just take away the pads tomorrow for instance and just carry him to the door when I take him out of his crate in the morning and then stay out until he does his business?

Than you all again Very Happy I really appreciate all your answers and insight.
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

Housebreaking Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housebreaking Help   Housebreaking Help EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 1:24 am

I think trying a smaller area outside wouldnt hurt anything. As for taking away the potty pads just take them away. Then using a schedule just take him out often and wait it out. After he pottys let him play a little as his reward since he likes to play.
Back to top Go down
Mack725
Newborn
Newborn
Mack725

Housebreaking Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housebreaking Help   Housebreaking Help EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 12:31 am

That's what I was thinking that a smaller area would be helpful.
Has anyone ever used the sprays to attract them to an area to go? I was thinking that might help him know where to go.
Right now, is a grassy area better or a more concrete area to help him concentrate on the mission to go to the bathroom? Lol
Yes I was going to let him play around after since he likes to play.

Thanks again everyone for the help and info! Hopefully it will work someday soon Smile
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Housebreaking Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housebreaking Help   Housebreaking Help EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 11:18 am

Quote :
Has anyone ever used the sprays to attract them to an area to go? I was thinking that might help him know where to go.

I've never used the sprays but if they are anything like the spray they put on the pee posts it should be fine.

However I've heard very good things about Pee posts themselves. I know there is at least one long time member on here who uses them,

Here is an example of a Pee Post

You just spike it in the grass and walk away.

Quote :
Right now, is a grassy area better or a more concrete area to help him concentrate on the mission to go to the bathroom? Lol

Right now grass is always better for your pup. Just make sure it is trimmed and you should be fine Smile

Best of luck again.

~Chris~

Newborn
Newborn
Mack725

Housebreaking Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housebreaking Help   Housebreaking Help EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 2:05 pm

Oh thank you I've never thought of a pee post. I know he'll get it soon enough. He's a smart little guy, just needs to learn where it's ok to go outside and not inside lol

Thank you again Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Housebreaking Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housebreaking Help   Housebreaking Help Empty

Back to top Go down

Housebreaking Help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1