It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raw vs Kibble

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

Raw vs Kibble Empty
PostSubject: Raw vs Kibble   Raw vs Kibble EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 2:35 pm

We going to get Luna on Monday, I told my girlfriend I want to feed her raw because I FEEL like it's the best thing to do for her. I've read about it and I agree with it. My girlfriend on the other hand don't want nothing to do with raw she want kibble (Scientific food).

After countless of talking we decided to mix kibble and Raw. My question is will this be a problem by mixing her diet, we would feed her Raw in the morning (for energy) and at night feed her kibble.

What should be added to the raw in the morning? I've read some people add THK( is that honest kitchen?)

The only kibble I feel safe feeding her are Earthborn and Acana for now at night.

Must I remind you the breeder is currently feeding her cooked chicken, cook hamburger and tuna at night. In the morning they feed her cottage cheese or plain yogurt, TOTW. The only raw they get are veggies. lettuce, carrots.and cucumbers. NOT RAW MEAT.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Raw vs Kibble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw vs Kibble   Raw vs Kibble EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 2:41 pm

If your girlfriend doesn't want anything to do with raw, I don't really get what the point of going half and half is unless you're unable to feed Luna at night. Why not just feed raw completely if you are doing that?

There's no reason to add anything to raw in the AM. People add raw meat to THK to give extra protein to the formula. Some people will use THK Preference when they are feeding a raw meat diet (not kibble at all) because it is a complete formula minus the meat, so you just add your own.. but feeding raw meat alone is just fine.

A lot of people have fed a combination of kibble and raw so that their dog gets the benefit of raw even if they don't have affordable sources of meat to do full raw with no issues, myself included.
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Raw vs Kibble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw vs Kibble   Raw vs Kibble EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 3:07 pm

I wont be able to feed at night because I'll be at work. If it was up to me I will do raw completely and I'll save in the process ^_^
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Raw vs Kibble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw vs Kibble   Raw vs Kibble EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Is it just that she doesn't want to handle the raw food?
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Raw vs Kibble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw vs Kibble   Raw vs Kibble EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 3:49 pm

I think she just think it's not good for the puppy. Her co-workers and a few of her good friend told her raw is not good.

She told me for her to feed raw she need scientific facts raw is better.

I guess that's what I get for dating a soon to be doctor Laughing
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Raw vs Kibble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw vs Kibble   Raw vs Kibble EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 3:54 pm

All the stuff I read on raw I read over 4 years ago, so I'm not exactly sure where my sources are anymore... but I'd ask people on here to help you find articles and studies on it. But I guess I just don't understand what difference it would make to her if she was fed partially or full raw- either way, she is eating raw meat. But I can tell her that several on here, including myself, have fed their dogs raw meat for years and have never had anything negative come from it- and I get full bloodwork, a fecal, etc, done every single year with nothing but praise for my dogs' conditions.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Raw vs Kibble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw vs Kibble   Raw vs Kibble EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:25 pm

Pick up a copy of Raw Meaty Bones by Lonsdale Smile You will win this argument dear.

And remind her that the "scientific" data behind kibbles, is conducted, poorly, by the people who are making money from it Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Raw vs Kibble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw vs Kibble   Raw vs Kibble EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Also keep in mind most vets take a VERY brief course on nutrition that is provided by one of the major sponsors for vets (just incase she brings up vets). Purina, Science Diet, and Royal Canine sponsor vets thus why they push those brands of foods- and looking at each ingredient in these foods from a nutritional stand point, they are among the worst foods on the market.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Raw vs Kibble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw vs Kibble   Raw vs Kibble EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:47 pm

Heather is very right, do yoru best to find a vet who supports raw or homemade feeding if you can - as it will help you in the long run!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Raw vs Kibble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw vs Kibble   Raw vs Kibble EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:57 pm

I am also writing for my local Co-Op and Blue Ridge Beef distributor - carnivorecarryout.com

Perhaps you can have her read it? I did provide a bit of scientific data in regards to dogs and wolves.

http://www.carnivorecarryoutblog.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Raw vs Kibble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw vs Kibble   Raw vs Kibble Empty

Back to top Go down

Raw vs Kibble

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1