It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Coat color changing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 4:24 pm

Aww thanks guys. He's my baby, I love him to death!
Back to top Go down
Autumn
Puppy
Puppy
Autumn

Female Join date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 11:07 am

I know this is an oldish thread but thought I'd share Shiloh's stark color change!

Shiloh-14 weeks
color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 DSC_0537-2

Shiloh-11 months
color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 DSC_0994
color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 DSC_0979

If not for her face she looks like a different dog to me!
Back to top Go down
http://www.humanesocietyofhobart.org
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 12:38 pm

would you call Shiloh a wooly? hard to tell in the pics but wow what a change! i love her!

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 3:01 pm

She's so beautiful! Although that puppy picture makes me want to make her into a pillow and use her to sleep with!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 3:49 pm

I'd say Shiloh is definitely a wooly. She is SO beautiful, holy moly.
Back to top Go down
Autumn
Puppy
Puppy
Autumn

Female Join date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:47 am

Oh yes, definitely a wooly! She had a bath just before the last 2 pics and started to blow out some of her coat afterward. WHAT A MESS!
Back to top Go down
http://www.humanesocietyofhobart.org
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 11:02 pm

color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 08211211Wooly or no, I am so lost. I purchased him from a lady who could no longer care for him due to personal reasons and have no clue what his parents looked like, but he had tufts of hair behind his ears and framing his face.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Oh and his eye is fine, just a funny photo
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 9:06 am

Ashley, I would say no. Thunder just has some longer fur than the average sibe, which is totally normal, but not quite long enough to be considered wooly.

Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 9:18 am

Ok, Thank God lol! I am the one responsible for "De-shedding him" for my dad when he blows his coat so I can only imagine what doing it to a wooly would look like(I am a dog groomer and have worked on a lot of Husky Dogs but never a wooly)
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Thunders Coat Is Starting to go grey.color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 Thunde12 And real men wear eyeliner, Love his guy-liner hehe

Last edited by Ashleymarie9807 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Shilo is super cute! Almost looks like a calico husky!
Back to top Go down
Laura Newson
Puppy
Puppy
Laura Newson

Female Join date : 2011-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi there, our Kira coat has been changing colour from dark black and white to silvery and tan in various places sides and flanks. I will add a photo shortly for comparison purposes. So you can see the difference. I was little concerned because she is so light in colour now compared to 6 months ago. She has a lot more silver tan/light yellow on her now. She is around 1 or 2 we were told, as she was shelter adoption we have no history on her. She is alot more fluffier now, her tail compared to when we got her is quite full er and bushy not stick like. Her fur is soft as silk too. I am not sure how light she will go but seems quite a change. She is very healthy no medical issues we are aware of. I was just suprised what a difference. Laska our previous husky didnt change much.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 3:46 am

My Shaqua got lighter with age as well.....

THIS was her as a puppy:
color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 75274_988041954411_315783028_n
THIS was her at 2 years:
color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 603899_988048181931_1158691975_n
and this was her this winter:
color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 74520_10100103660665561_251505762_n

I can only imagine it was age that changed her coat, but like others have said different huskies will age differently I think.
Back to top Go down
CatCass
Newborn
Newborn
CatCass

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 10:58 am

My husky is about 3 years old and is all white, but I just noticed one of his elbows is a brownish/red color. At first I thought it was dirt but after trying to clean it with a soapy towel nothing happened. I also moved the fur away to see if it was a cut and possibly just blood but it looks like its down to the root - like his fur changed color? Is that possible? I know husky puppies can change color but a pure white, 3 year old? Can anyone help?
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:09 am

my pup at 5 wks was solid white, now at 7 weeks is getting a light yellowish mask then at 8wks it already started to lighten back up, so i would say with even pure white they can change color, in three weeks her white is bouncing around...cant really compare to the future yet but im interested to see that will come of it
Back to top Go down
CatCass
Newborn
Newborn
CatCass

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:21 am

Thanks for your help. I was kind of worried about it actually and was thinking of calling his vet but I'm not sure they would be able to give me any helpful information anyway
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:37 am

moto1087 wrote:
my pup at 5 wks was solid white, now at 7 weeks is getting a light yellowish mask then at 8wks it already started to lighten back up, so i would say with even pure white they can change color, in three weeks her white is bouncing around...cant really compare to the future yet but im interested to see that will come of it

There's actually two kinds of white, pure white and Isabella white. The Isabella has a yellowish tint to it, so that maybe what you're pup is Smile
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:43 am

yea, i know rikku's dad had a yellowish tint all over (almost just looked like he was dirty), hers is like a yellow brown its so light its hard to tell but now its going away again so its hard to say, i personally think it will disappear, the gf thinks that it will come in and darken up to that really light brown or light reddish color
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:48 am

It could also be from the way she is laying. Is it in a spot that is on the ground when she is laying down? If it is the coat changing, I wouldn't worry about it. My first husky was a black and white and she had tan points come in on her back legs by her hocks, and front legs by her elbows around the same age as your pup. Its totally normal for their coats to change as they age.
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:58 am

rikku's slight color that she has is her mask, and has a slight line down her back, so nothing that is on the ground
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:02 pm

I was asking about the 3 year old with the elbow spots, Rikku is a puppy, so you'll see a lot of changes in her as she grows. Smile I'm amazed about how Dizzy's color is changing as he's getting older. I don't think Rikku will end up as a red. Only because her nose, eyeliner and lips are black. Reds have liver colored noses.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:08 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
It could also be from the way she is laying. Is it in a spot that is on the ground when she is laying down? If it is the coat changing, I wouldn't worry about it. My first husky was a black and white and she had tan points come in on her back legs by her hocks, and front legs by her elbows around the same age as your pup. Its totally normal for their coats to change as they age.

Mishka has this right now where before he was pure white in those areas. I call it his dirty brown. Lol.

moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:11 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
I was asking about the 3 year old with the elbow spots, Rikku is a puppy, so you'll see a lot of changes in her as she grows. :)I'm amazed about how Dizzy's color is changing as he's getting older. I don't think Rikku will end up as a red. Only because her nose, eyeliner and lips are black. Reds have liver colored noses.

haha i figured but im trying to entertain my self at work lol..so im just conversating lol... and yea i don think she will either, i think she will loose the color and gain maybe a yellowish tint but stay white
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 2:27 pm

CatCass wrote:
My husky is about 3 years old and is all white, but I just noticed one of his elbows is a brownish/red color. At first I thought it was dirt but after trying to clean it with a soapy towel nothing happened. I also moved the fur away to see if it was a cut and possibly just blood but it looks like its down to the root - like his fur changed color? Is that possible? I know husky puppies can change color but a pure white, 3 year old? Can anyone help?

Does he spend a lot of time laying on hard surfaces? Pressure spots can appear like what you're describing from laying on hard surfaces. My dilute black and white would get red elbows from spending a lot of time laying on hard surfaces. Getting him off of hard surfaces (I put down blankets in his usual laying spots) made the fur on his elbows go back to their normal white color...bear in mind it takes some time for them to go back to their normal white color.

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   color - Coat color changing? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Coat color changing?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next