It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet? Empty
PostSubject: IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet?   IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 12:16 pm

I went to the vet today to get Saya spayed. The doctor decided to give me Frontline. He said that some dogs dont react to advantix too well. He also prescribed a years worth of heartworm(Awesome deal spay microchip heartworm and frontline plus some antibiotics $175.) Now I am wondering what should I expect from saya once she gets home? Also is frontline safe for dogs? I read some reviews of dogs reacting badly to it.
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet? Empty
PostSubject: Re: IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet?   IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Funny my vet says that some dogs don't react to Frontline and recommends advantix.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet?   IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 12:33 pm

That’s an awesome deal! My vet did not recommend a particular brand, but I started using Frontline and mine did not react badly to it. I switched Nikko to Advantixx II because it also repels mosquitoes and biting flies. When I had used Frontline I took Nikko on a walk in the woods and found live ticks on him days later. Since having Advantixx I only found 1 tick and it was dead.

Also, just some advice, buy it on Amazon.com. If you get it from a pet store or vet you are going to pay about 50% more for it. I got a 6 month supply for 40 bucks instead of paying almost 100.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet?   IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 12:37 pm

I personally have had no luck with either one, especially for ticks even when attached they are still alive. 2 of my 4 are now erichlosis positive . Never had a bad reaction to either but like I said they both were ineffective.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet?   IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 12:55 pm

We have always used Frontline Plus on our dogs with great results. In two summers of life, Sabaka has had only one tick bite (that I know of). I don't think anything would be 100% effective. Occasionally we see a tick that came in on his feet or legs and is now walking around our house....EWWW! I also recommend the Lymes disease shot just because one tick bite is all it takes to potentially make your puppy sick. (Don't forget Lymes is a 2 shot series.)

I recommend Frontline but also be aware that it is a pesticide and, therefore, to some degree it is toxic. Some dogs have adverse reactions to it.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet?   IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 4:14 pm

All three dogs in my house have been on frontline without any issue. I guess it all depends on the dog. It also depends on your part of the country. Some flea and tick control products focus on certain kinds of ticks and not others. My vet mentioned a specific tick thats common in FL i have to look out for that isnt in NY at all. I do strongly suggest the Lyme vaccine as well.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet?   IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Both stopped working for us so we use Trifexis (Like Comfortis but with added heartwork meds). Have been for a year - it's been great for both and FINALLY no fleas! You'll need to add something else to guard against ticks, though. Advantix ate through my floor finish and stain - not putting that on my dogs again.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet?   IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 5:27 pm

The main thing is to apply it properly so the dog can't lick it off as mentioned above it is an insecticide.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet?   IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
The main thing is to apply it properly so the dog can't lick it off as mentioned above it is an insecticide.

Hubby applied it that one time. Razz I'm meticulous and it still didn't work. Sad
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet?   IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:39 pm

I used frontline plus for over 10 years on both my greyhounds, no ticks, no diseases, no reactions at all! I have used it on both my current dogs, lab and husky with also no ticks, no reactions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet?   IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet? Empty

Back to top Go down

IS frontline safe? Is it effective? What to do after saya gets home from the vet?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1