It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The kitty :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

The kitty :( Empty
PostSubject: The kitty :(   The kitty :( EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 12:10 pm

OK - so now I am worried about my poor kitty, Starlet Sad She is an evil kitty and HATES everyone that walks into our house.... exept she is my cuddle bug in the evening. She is about 8 years old.

She has grown up with the dogs and has always hated them, hissed at them and swiped at them (declawed).

As you know - we have 3 dogs.

Rudy is the oldest is 12 and is a beagle - lab mix. He is arthritic and blind in one eye. I think there is hearing loss too. He also has bad teeth and regardless that I have had them surgically cleaned several times, he is still losing them. He still has energy and thinks that he is a pup even though he hurts. He has always been raised around cats.

Roxy is some sort of spitz mix - Rescue dog from hurricane Katrina. She is the sweetest thing - 5 years old. She is submissive and skittish.

Then Neeka is our newest addition. I am hoping that she'll be OK with kitty since she is raised with her. Neeka loves to torment the kitty since Starlet HATES it. But so far all has been OK.

Well - while I was in the shower.... RUDY attacked kitty!!!!!! We have never had this happen before. Rudy had her pinned and there was some blood on her. I can't find the puncture mark. I am not sure if it was Rudy's teeth that bled or if he actually got her. This has never happened before Sad

Starlet is upstairs scared to death. I really don't want to re-home her. I hope it does not have to come down to that. My husband doesn't like cats.... so if it comes down to it, the dogs will stay and the kitty will probably have to go.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: The kitty :(   The kitty :( EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 3:14 pm

I would just separate the cat from the dogs unless you're there. We have done this since day one either by creating a place for the cats to escape to the dogs can't get to or just keeping them in different parts of the house. I don't mean to be negative but an 8 year old cat who isn't friendly isn't going to do well being rehomed if it's even possible.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: The kitty :(   The kitty :( EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 4:27 pm

I hope you gave Rudy a huge brainwash.
Rehoming the cat wouldn´t be very fair to her. It is not necessary thinking about it anyway I think, just make sure that Rudy knows to better not try something like this again.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: The kitty :(   The kitty :( EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 8:44 pm

We NEVER leave Bode and our cat unsupervised. If we are not able to be supervising them, Myles gets shut off in "his" room. Bode is pretty rough with him, so we can't trust them, but even if they did get along, I would never trust them together. As you have experienced, something can go wrong in the blink of an eye.

Please don't rehome your kitty because of this. There are ways to work with the situation.
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: The kitty :(   The kitty :( EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 10:51 am

I do want to clarify, Star is my baby and I don't want to re-home her. I just may lose the battle with the family if the discussion comes down to it Sad

While we are not home both Rudy (chewer) and Neeka (husky) are both crated. Roxy stays out but mainly just sleeps under the bed all day. Starlet has free roam of the house. I am not so worried about her while we are not home. They are all seperated at feeding time too since the dogs will steal her food and she'd starve. I couldn't lock her up in a room all day either since in the evening she bascly hides from the dogs, she needs to have her time to roam the house too.

I still am stunned that this happened. I would have expected it from the husky, but never Rudy. He hasn't been aggressive before in his life. I hope that it isn't because he is getting old and hurting some from the arthritis or spooked because he is having trouble with his sight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The kitty :(   The kitty :( Empty

Back to top Go down

The kitty :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1