It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Car Riding Troubles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SiberianKaia
Newborn
Newborn
SiberianKaia

Female Join date : 2012-08-22

Car Riding Troubles Empty
PostSubject: Car Riding Troubles   Car Riding Troubles EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 8:19 am

Hey Everyone,

I have noticed Kaia really gets upset, nervous, and scared when riding in the car. The ride home from the breeder was a little more than an hour and she whimpered on and off but slept most of the way.

Since then when ever the car is MOVING she wails her head off and paws at the window. She will cease whining when at a red light or parked. When we get to where we are going she is completely fine and settled.

Is there anything I can try to get to calm down? Will it eventually subside the more she is exposed to the car?

The only thing that seems to work is that she sometimes will lie down and be quiet if she is super exhausted... however in reality its not PRACTICAL to tire her out every time she needs to ride?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Car Riding Troubles   Car Riding Troubles EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:01 am

I think it may take some time. Onyx was really nervous the first few times we took a car ride. On the way home from the breeder he cried the whole way. We figured it was because we had just taken him from someplace familiar. The second time we took him out my wife sat in the back seat with him and he did better. We ended up going to Petsmart and he got some toys and treats. I think if you take her somewhere fun or show her that rides can mean going fun places I think she might calm down. That is just my experience.
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Car Riding Troubles   Car Riding Troubles EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:33 am

You could try a thundershirt. Some swear by them
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Car Riding Troubles   Car Riding Troubles EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:58 am

I would try a thundershirt. I haven't used one but I think that's the next step for my mom's lab, who does much the same in the car. It sounds to me like she has a problem with the movement of the car and that's what's upsetting her. A lot of times just getting one of the harnesses that attach to the seat belt will get rid of the nervousness because the dog is secure in the seat and no longer feels unsteady. With the seat belt, they're restrained and can't move around freely. Their movement combined with the movement of the car basically mimics a person trying to walk across the deck of a boat with rough waters. You can also try bringing along some toys or a familiar blanket. I actually hadn't thought of that until I saw the post about Onyx. Familiar items might be all she needs to be comfortable.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Car Riding Troubles   Car Riding Troubles EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 12:56 pm

They sell this stuff at Petsmart (maybe Petco) called Pet Ease. It's in a green bag by the supplement section. It's for anxiety in the car and other stress related issues. It basically calms them down. I wouldn't do this every time you take a car ride, but do it for the first 5-8 times and maybe she will realize that the car ride is not bad after all.

I would also get a harness for riding in the car. I got the EZYDog Chest Plate Harness from wag.com. $25 + shipping & tax. It has a loop attachment that goes through the seatbelt and clips onto the harness. She'll have to lay down to ride in the car. It's more safe to transport, too! No more roaming doggies. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car Riding Troubles   Car Riding Troubles Empty

Back to top Go down

Car Riding Troubles

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1