It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Riding in the car

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Captain_Husky
Newborn
Newborn
Captain_Husky

Female Join date : 2013-02-06

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Here a question I have and couldn't find anything on it here. Hows your husky when it comes to being in the car? And do you guys use anything to protect your car from scratches, bite marks, tears and stains? I have a sports car and my pup will be with me when I attend car shows and meets. I do not want to have my door panels and seats messed up and torn. I know the store sells covers for the seats and doors but I dont know anyone whos used them so I dont know if they are effective. should I be worried about my car? if I have her properly groomed and nails clipped? or maybe this is a bad idea all together. I dont know maybe you guys can give me some input on this.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:01 pm

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I have a pet barrier in the back. It blocks them from jumping over the seats and such. I also have a cover, so just in case they make any accidents or shed like crazy I can remove it.
If you don't want any damage to your car...I would highley recommend you look into buying a cover. Esp..if it's a sports car.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Get a different car LOL. I do have a seat protector in the backseat of my car. It is the hammock type that connects to the rear and front seat headrests. But the hair gets EVERYWHERE! Hopefully you have leather seats, because hair will be in my seats forever
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:17 pm

jschrader wrote:
Get a different car LOL. I do have a seat protector in the backseat of my car. It is the hammock type that connects to the rear and front seat headrests. But the hair gets EVERYWHERE! Hopefully you have leather seats, because hair will be in my seats forever

that or....don't take the pup.
ya, no matter what kind of cover it is...fur still fly's around in the car.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:21 pm

lol i agree. In the summer, I would have the windows down I it looked like it was snowing inside my car! I probably ingested a pound of husky fur, I am surprised I havent coughed up a furball yet LOL.

I knew they shed bad, but nothing could have prepared me for the amount of fur that comes off these guys. I thought they usually blew their coats a couple times a year and that's it, but Nikko sheds. All. Year. Long!
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:29 pm

try a hair in your eye while driving..major OUCH ness...not to mention very dangerous...lol
Back to top Go down
Motoxd3
Newborn
Newborn

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:41 pm

I too have the Hammack type protector. Loki has thrown up on it, but since it is water resistant it didn't hurt the seats. But yes hair is everywhere..... No way of stopping that.
Back to top Go down
Captain_Husky
Newborn
Newborn
Captain_Husky

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:43 pm

there is no way ill sell my car! lol and not taking the pup is not really a option. I got to figure something to make this work.. hair isn't a problem I clean my car weekly even in winter. I know im not the only person with this problem
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:43 pm

Motoxd3 wrote:
I too have the Hammack type protector. Loki has thrown up on it, but since it is water resistant it didn't hurt the seats. But yes hair is everywhere..... No way of stopping that.

Yukon has thrown up on mine almost every time he gets in the car LOL. It washes out really well, but year the hair flies! Even after getting him groomed it is not too bad for a few days then its back to normal
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:45 pm

Captain_Husky wrote:
there is no way ill sell my car! lol and not taking the pup is not really a option. I got to figure something to make this work.. hair isn't a problem I clean my car weekly even in winter. I know im not the only person with this problem

I was only kidding on getting a different car. As long as your OK with all the hair everywhere then it should be fine. You can get one of the hammock seat protectors and also put a couple towels down too just to make sure. I haven't had anything damaged by them. It is just the hair and nose prints on the window.
Back to top Go down
Captain_Husky
Newborn
Newborn
Captain_Husky

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:52 pm

ill look into some of these different options for covers. I'm mainly concerned with scratches on the door panels. I can lay my seats down and she can lay on the flat surface and it extends to the trunk as well, since I drive a smaller two door car
Back to top Go down
Motoxd3
Newborn
Newborn

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:55 pm

Captain_Husky wrote:
ill look into some of these different options for covers. I'm mainly concerned with scratches on the door panels. I can lay my seats down and she can lay on the flat surface and it extends to the trunk as well, since I drive a smaller two door car
As long as I keep the Windows down loki does not try to stand on the door or scratch it. (f150 extended cab) he just watches out the rear or front Window. I think I have seen the hammock with sides on it, can't remember where though. I mean if worse comes to worse you can have an apolster stich sides on that are removable (buttons zipper ec)
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 8:33 pm

Get a cheap second car for a doggie car. lol!

I have a cover for my car in the back seat but I still have a ton of dog hair all over it.

In John care we put the seats down in the back and let them have full run of them. Of course the back of the seats is carpet. still a lot of hair.

Several people on here with Huskies have a Honda Element for the dogs the seat fold down and the back are not carpet so it is easier to clean.
Back to top Go down
Melissa911
Puppy
Puppy
Melissa911

Female Join date : 2012-12-12

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 9:43 pm

I ordered a hammock type thing for my car. My car is brand new and I have leather seats so I don't want them ruined. I haven't used the hammock yet though. Since I got her i've had a pet carrier (up to 30lbs) in my back seat and i've been putting her in that to drive her around, she's 16 weeks now and still fits in it. It's a dream haha she just lays down and goes to sleep until she senses the car turns off. I'm considering buying a bigger crate for the car because of how awesome it is to have.

This is the hammock I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Companion-Nylon-Hammock-Cover/dp/B000GDZ0X8/ref=sr_1_8?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1360280524&sr=1-8&keywords=car+hammock+for+dogs

There are also door guards like this, but I don't know how effective they are:
http://www.amazon.com/Kurgo-KU01158-Door-Guard-Black/dp/B005MYY9YC/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Unless you're just leaving the dog in the car for extended periods of time, I can't really figure out why it would scratch the door panels. I have a cheap "as seen on TV" cover that's meant to cover the backseat, but I have it in the back of my Ford Escape and have a barrier. It gets hairy and muddy, but she doesn't try to destroy the car, but maybe that's just her?
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 10:34 pm

ljelgin wrote:
Get a cheap second car for a doggie car. lol!

I have a cover for my car in the back seat but I still have a ton of dog hair all over it.

In John care we put the seats down in the back and let them have full run of them. Of course the back of the seats is carpet. still a lot of hair.

Several people on here with Huskies have a Honda Element for the dogs the seat fold down and the back are not carpet so it is easier to clean.

I second buying a cheap second car. The dogs do not travel with me in my restore. They have a 1997 Accord. I own a 87 Silverado and canopy for camping, but I'm thinking of subsidizing the truck and honda for a 4Runner, or. Subaru Outback, and take out the back seats (essentially a camping car for 2 and dogs)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Riding in the car  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the car    Riding in the car  Empty

Back to top Go down

Riding in the car

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1