It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sackman1886
Newborn
Newborn
Sackman1886

Female Join date : 2012-10-16

Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1? Empty
PostSubject: Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1?   Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi everyone! I'm sure there are multiple discussions about this, so I apologize if this is redundant...

Kaya will be 2 years old in January. We just moved into our first house (from apartment), and I want to get her a baby brother since she will be primarily outdoors now. There is a lot of room for her, and she loves it outside. I feel like she would be happier with a brother. Recommendations or suggestions? Is this a good age to introduce her to a new addition to the family (I'm thinking around Christmas)? Do 2 usually do better than 1?
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1?   Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 2:23 pm

I like have more than one. They dogs are calmer, at least mine were, when I got the 2nd one. But there was a huge age gap with mine, the older one didn't like to play as much as the young one did. Now I have three, 2 that play and a referee. At least she thinks she is. Its not alot more when it comes to getting a 2nd dog, and to me, the joy having two out weights the little extra cost.

Good luck with your decision- I say its a go, but thats me.

Can't wait to see pics of them together.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1?   Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 2:34 pm

kevo wrote:
I like have more than one. They dogs are calmer, at least mine were, when I got the 2nd one. But there was a huge age gap with mine, the older one didn't like to play as much as the young one did. Now I have three, 2 that play and a referee. At least she thinks she is. Its not alot more when it comes to getting a 2nd dog, and to me, the joy having two out weights the little extra cost.

Exact same thing here! Two that play and referee! Razz

I say go for it. I don't think I'll ever have just one again Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1?   Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 2:36 pm

We just got our second dog in May a rescue she is just about the same age as Blaze they play all the time keep each other active. I think you will be happy with a second dog they are alot of fun to watch then play and interact.

Mine spend most of the day in the house we do have a fence yard but if I leave them out there for more that 20 minutes I have new holes in the yard.

Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1?   Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 2:44 pm

I also live in a three dog house with the 2 players and the referee. I say two is better than one when we're talking about energetic breeds because if we're being completely honest, we all know there's days when we can't give 100% of our attention to playing with the dog. When you've got two, they can play with each other.

I'm about to go from this three dog household to a one dog household and I have a feeling I won't be getting much homework done until Callie's ready for bed.

Also, since Kaya's just about 2, and huskies are notorious for being puppies for several years, I think a new puppy would get along well with her. Kaya's still got the energy to keep up with a new puppy but she can also serve as a role model and teach the pup how the house works.
Back to top Go down
Sackman1886
Newborn
Newborn
Sackman1886

PostSubject: Re: Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1?   Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 3:01 pm

calliegirl08 wrote:
Kaya's still got the energy to keep up with a new puppy...

That is the truth!!! lol

Thank you everyone for your feedback!
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1?   Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 4:23 pm

I debated with this issue for months before I got my second one. Nikko was 10 months old when I got Yukon. I think Nikko has been MUCH better behaved since we have gotten the new puppy. There are some negatives, but for the most part I am glad that I got him. They are really different personality wise; Nikko is very hyper, and always wants attention from other dogs and other people, however when we are at home, he doesn’t usually care about attention and would rather be playing with his toys, and he is NOT a cuddler. Yukon on the other hand loves to be next to me wherever I go, and loves to jump on my lap and curl up.

Anyway, I say go for it! I find it easier than having just 1
Back to top Go down
Sackman1886
Newborn
Newborn
Sackman1886

PostSubject: Re: Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1?   Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 5:36 pm

jschrader wrote:
I debated with this issue for months before I got my second one. Nikko was 10 months old when I got Yukon. I think Nikko has been MUCH better behaved since we have gotten the new puppy. There are some negatives, but for the most part I am glad that I got him. They are really different personality wise; Nikko is very hyper, and always wants attention from other dogs and other people, however when we are at home, he doesn’t usually care about attention and would rather be playing with his toys, and he is NOT a cuddler. Yukon on the other hand loves to be next to me wherever I go, and loves to jump on my lap and curl up.

Anyway, I say go for it! I find it easier than having just 1

Interesting post - Ya, Kaya is very hyper especially with other dogs, and can kind of be an alpha. I would like to get a more "submissive" male pup so that Kaya doesn't feel like we're bringing in competition for her. Does that make sense? I remember when we picked Kaya, it was because she was energetic, and loving, and she just watched us every step we made. Looking back on it, it is those same traits that were so endearing that also shine through in that alpha personality.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1?   Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 5:42 pm

What is interesting is that Yukon also tries to dominate the older one (Nikko). Nikko has been trying from day 1 to dominate the puppy and it has not worked. If the pup has a toy that Nikko wants, sometimes he will try and steal it back, and sometimes he will howl or whine and look at me to get it for him!

I thought that Nikko would be alpha over the puppy but I am not so sure that is how it will work out. I think they are still figuring out who is the alpha dog LOL. When Yukon is without Nikko he is calm and cuddly.
Back to top Go down
Sackman1886
Newborn
Newborn
Sackman1886

PostSubject: Re: Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1?   Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Haha... I'm sure it will mix things up regardless! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1?   Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1? Empty

Back to top Go down

Have 1 girl, Kaya, and want to get her a brother! 2 better than 1?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1