It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Socializing an 8 week old puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

Socializing an 8 week old puppy Empty
PostSubject: Socializing an 8 week old puppy   Socializing an 8 week old puppy EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Where are some good places to socialize a young puppy without all her shots?
They're supposed to get socialized with people and other dogs right away, but they can't go to go to dog parks, puppy classes, etc. I want her to be healthy, but I want her to meet as many different kinds of people and dogs as possible, in as many different situations as possible.. so what's a girl to do?!

How did you all do it? I read online that Home Depot lets dogs in and is a good place to go, where are other places you went to socialize? I'm getting my girl in 2 months, so any other socializing tips or funny stories are much appreciated. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Socializing an 8 week old puppy   Socializing an 8 week old puppy EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 10:55 pm

I took Yuki to my work a lot on my off days (I work at Lowes). Even when I take her now she's still really timid of people, but I think she picked that up from Cloud or maybe its her personality. I also take her to all the pet stores near me, in the afternoons the bigger stores can have a lot of people in them. My eskimo Cloud didn't go to the dog park until 4 months, and already two weeks in he LOVED going there and always plays with the other dogs, so I wouldn't worry too much about socializing her with dogs before that age, but if its a big concern for you it may help to set up a few play-dates with any friends you know of that have dogs.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Socializing an 8 week old puppy   Socializing an 8 week old puppy EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 11:05 pm

There are puppy socialization classes. I don't know where you are or what is available to you, but here in Cali, you can bring your puppy to a "Socialization Puppy Play Group" that you can enroll for. The exception is that your pup must be on a "puppy plan" at a veterinary hospital which would need to include a fecal testing and a vaccine schedule. (They don't allow vaccine clinics or self-vaccines from tractor supply-which don't work anyway). If you don't have any programs like that, then I would wait till at least she has two distemper/parvo combo shots (she should get 4) before taking her anywhere, even Home Depot. Parvo is extremely deadly and it is not something to blow off. It can last in an environment for a while, but it is also an air-borne virus. Scheduling play groups with other pups that are vaccinated, or older dogs that are current on vaccines are perfect. Just make sure the environment that they are in is controlled, meaning that no other dogs that have had parvo have been in the area for at least 5 years.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Socializing an 8 week old puppy   Socializing an 8 week old puppy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 12:10 am

I know my old vet had puppy socialization classes, I'm sure they still have them, I'll call them and ask.
I'll wait until she has all her parvo shots to take her out to stores and other places it could be.. better safe than sorry!
Most of my friends have dogs that nip and jump, they don't understand how big they are and can even hurt me. I don't really want to be putting a little puppy in that situation, but I'll look at dog groups in the area and maybe schedule some playdates with some well behaved dogs, and make some new people friends too Smile
Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Socializing an 8 week old puppy   Socializing an 8 week old puppy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 12:29 am

In our puppy class we were given a checklist of things to allow your puppy to see or experience. It is good to expose him early to things like: Trains, kids on bikes, people in wheelchairs, very old people, very young people, busy streets, cows, horses, a car ride, a baby stroller, a balloon, a boisterous person, a shy kid, a siren... Just think of things that might make a dog skittish and If you introduce them to him now, he will be less fearful of his surroundings as an adult. I thought it was a great exercise. Some of these just involve a car ride to a local park or biking trail. You don't want him walking too far when he's so young, but he can easily enjoy a stroll in the park to a creek or noisy playground.

Have fun! And welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Socializing an 8 week old puppy   Socializing an 8 week old puppy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:00 am

Ooh, a checklist is a really good idea. Thanks for the advice!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Socializing an 8 week old puppy   Socializing an 8 week old puppy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:16 am

I took both my pups at 8 weeks of age to heavily populated areas by my house (old town, national harbor, & GW parkway). We also did puppy classes and puppy parties. I would take them to small mom & pop pet stores where they don't sell animals and not many people bring their dogs in.
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Socializing an 8 week old puppy   Socializing an 8 week old puppy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 4:49 pm

Dot wrote:
Most of my friends have dogs that nip and jump, they don't understand how big they are and can even hurt me. I don't really want to be putting a little puppy in that situation

Keep in mind that Husky's are rough when they play anyway and your pup will have been playing rough with his/her litter mates and parents for weeks. I set up play dates for Saphire with a full grown lab and a full grown Akita starting at only 10 weeks. (Both were pets of friends and family that I knew were properly vaccinated and we always did it in our back yard.) Saphire was manhandling both of them within a few minutes. Also Saphire still doesn't know how big she is and trys to sit on the arm of the couch like the cats do.

If your concerned about things getting too rough just watch closely and stop the play immediately if they get too rough.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Socializing an 8 week old puppy   Socializing an 8 week old puppy EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 2:38 pm

I'll keep all this stuff in mind! Thanks everyone for the advice, I love this forum Smile
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Socializing an 8 week old puppy   Socializing an 8 week old puppy EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 2:43 pm

I would suggest going to PetSmart, PetCo, etc. and enroll them in the puppy obedience class. It worked great for my pup, especially for socialization. You don’t have to have all of the shots done, just the first set. I would stay away from dog parks until they have all of their shots though.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Socializing an 8 week old puppy   Socializing an 8 week old puppy EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 3:12 pm

I took both of mine to puppy class at that age. Find one that you trust and that makes sure all dogs there have had their shots (adult dogs or starter shots for puppies).

Avoid the dog park until you've finished puppy shots and rabies shot.

Make friends in the puppy class and have play days at each other's houses.

Invite friends over to see the new puppy!

Socializing an 8 week old puppy Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Socializing an 8 week old puppy   Socializing an 8 week old puppy EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 3:42 pm

our local petco has a free "puppy playtime" class every sunday afternoon. you don't have to register just show up at the scheduled time. It's reserved for puppies younger than 6 months and supervised by the store trainer. Dakota loved it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Socializing an 8 week old puppy   Socializing an 8 week old puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

Socializing an 8 week old puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1