It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Do huskies get cold?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

Do huskies get cold? Empty
PostSubject: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 10:56 am

I know huskies love the cold weather but I wonder do they ever get cold in it? It is getting cooler here in NYC and I started noticing that saya does the "Husky curl" often now something which she never did back when it was warm. So do they get cold even though they like the winter? confused
Back to top Go down
Dragula64
Teenager
Teenager
Dragula64

Female Join date : 2012-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 11:33 am

CJ also curls up in what we call dog ball. I think she does it because her nose is wet and it may get cold. I don't think the rest of her does. She is steying outside longer in the cool weather and it's harder to get her to come inside.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 12:18 pm

We call that the Blizzard Curl. There have been times where it has been cold - below freezing and I thought neighbors would call animal control on me for my dog being outside. He simply didn't want to come in or he would have knocked on the door as he was trained.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 12:28 pm

Funny we call it a Snow Circle. Curled up with the nose covered by the tail and feet tucked in under the body.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 12:45 pm

I just noticed that my girls have been doing this more. I keep the house set at only 60-62 at night and just turn on my heated mattress pad if i get cold, but they have been doing this on the cold damp nights. They will also fight over the warm spot when i get out of bed, so I would say they get cold or at least a chill just like us.

Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:05 pm

libbybell74 wrote:
I just noticed that my girls have been doing this more. I keep the house set at only 60-62 at night and just turn on my heated mattress pad if i get cold, but they have been doing this on the cold damp nights. They will also fight over the warm spot when i get out of bed, so I would say they get cold or at least a chill just like us.

Holy Jesus that's cold! "Only" 60-62?!? lol I would NOT want to crawl out of bed if I woke up at your house. Razz We keep ours around 76-78. Then again I live in Texas. lol

I agree though - I think they get a chill like us. If they're active, it doesn't bother them. I went dog sledding with a team of 8 dogs and it was about 32 degrees out. They didn't seem to mind! They would jump in the snow and try to eat it as they were running lol.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:15 pm

Jackie I was thinking the same thing. I'm like dang that's cold. I keep my house at 71 and we are still freezing in the morning. I am not allowed to open the bathroom door in the morning when my boyfriend takes a shower or I get yelled at for it being too cold. Hahah.

But Anna seems to get cold sometimes. But only in the apartment and not outside. Guess we aren't out long enough.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:55 pm

house goes to 60 at night, 62 when were not home and 65 when were home, cant afford the bill Sad but the pups never seem to mind.

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 3:33 pm

jbealer wrote:
house goes to 60 at night, 62 when were not home and 65 when were home, cant afford the bill Sad but the pups never seem to mind.

OUr house gets below 60 (58 I think) at night and the pups don't seem to care, they just either spend more time on our bed or curled up in theirs. We don't mind the extra cuddles. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 4:49 pm

Unless she is snowshoeing or running like a mad woman at the park, Ro hates the cold. I have to have a coat on her if it's below 30. The comments I get...
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 8:20 pm

saya just experienced her first snow she loved it. trust me I did not Having to take so many pictures my sisters hands and mine were freezing
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 9:16 pm

My dogs love the outdoors! I only bring them all in when we have severe weather warnings...most times you'll see them sleeping on top of their dog houses instead of in them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 10:57 pm

Heather! wrote:
Unless she is snowshoeing or running like a mad woman at the park, Ro hates the cold. I have to have a coat on her if it's below 30. The comments I get...

That's too funny! Do you have pics of this?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 10:58 pm

I'm sure they catch a bit of a chill but they'll never suffer from hypothermia at 30F. Must be getting colder though as Adobo has started sleeping in bed with us again. Last night she stay with us until after 3AM. Biko, with his fleecy winter coat will need a heck of a lot lower then the 25F we had this morn.

PS: We set our temp at 64 at night and when we leave for work but when home it is 66F. Our TV. computer room where we spend most of our awake hours also use a small space heater cause it will be 6-8 degrees cooler there in the winter without it. (Damn big ass windows)
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 4:21 am

I have to bribe Loki to come in for the night.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 4:24 am

Embry is such a baby when it comes to the cold/snow. I have a feeling Ares is going to be the same way. Rolling Eyes Boys...

They're always in husky balls as I call them lol
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 9:12 am

Last winter we had -20 degrees Celcius during the day for a few weeks. I remember walking with Anubis for two hours. I felt like Mr. Freeze and wanted to go home and he looked at me like "No way we are going home now." He loves the cold alot.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 10:01 am

26nikita wrote:
Heather! wrote:

That's too funny! Do you have pics of this?

Haha, I know somewhere there's one with her when she was 6 months, but not sure where it is. She has a RW coat on the way in the mail. Ill be doing a huge picture spam post in the next 2 weeks so I'll include one.
Even at night now she sleeps in my husband's "house" (behind his legs) curled up with the comforter over her. She's such a baby.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 12:02 pm

Heather, I've actually seen someone out walking their husky with a coat. I think my mouth dropped to the floor and I made a snarky comment to my hubby. lol It was just too weird seeing a husky in a coat but I guess if they need it, they need it.

My sibe lives for the cold and when it snows he hates being brought back inside. Last night I had to practically drag his butt back into the house so that I could go to bed. But with that said, he also will curl up into his tight little ball when it's below 60 degrees in the house. It's 60 degrees in our house right now and he's still sprawled out as though it was a summer day.

Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 12:15 pm

She's just weird. I'm not sure why she gets so cold. Her coat is thick. If she has a job like snowshoeing and is trying to keep up with Koda or is at an active park, she is fine I guess because she's producing body heat, but leisurely walks, going outside to potty, etc, she wants a coat!
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 1:00 pm

The house never goes above 68 degrees, I can't afford the heat bills. I have the pups laying on me when I am awake and they lay next to me when we sleep so I have their body heat to keep me warm. Hopefully when I move next year I will find a house with a wood burner or fire place then I can keep the house warmer. I also dont want the pups being too warm though.
Lucy gets cold easily right now because she shed her coat on it is very thin right now. It was like she lost 4 inches around her waste. Everyone keeps saying how skinny she looks now. LOL
Back to top Go down
KoopaKrazy
Puppy
Puppy
KoopaKrazy

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 2:27 am

Do huskies get cold? 4C3FDFD8-BF1D-42D3-A076-4B31C0597327-18866-0000157C63E1515A

Koopa is doing the Husky curl now! Haha
Back to top Go down
jmbiller
Newborn
Newborn
jmbiller

Male Join date : 2013-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 2:38 am

Its 5 Deg out right now, Jade and Luka are having fun running around in the cold. As long as you let their coats develop correctly in the fall they shouldn't get cold in most weather that youll find in Lower 48 as long as they have a sheltered/insulated place to sleep outside if they are outside all the time.

My puppies actually dont like being inside or in the car because they get too hot with their winter coats.
Back to top Go down
KoopaKrazy
Puppy
Puppy
KoopaKrazy

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 2:40 am

Haha. 5 degrees?!?! That's awful! I'm in Texas in a sweatshirt & sweatpants because it's 67 in our house! Haha but I think Koopa is in a ball because he got a bath today & he's still a little damp.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 12:52 pm

Hayden hates the cold! He only wants to be outside long enough to potty and come back in unless we're outside with him.

Nicky on the other hand LOVES the cold! She can't get enough of it. She'll do the little husky curl like Koopa on our back porch and I try to bring her in and she runs away from me.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies get cold?   Do huskies get cold? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do huskies get cold?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next