It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Those of you with Reds

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Those of you with Reds Empty
PostSubject: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Do you get comments ALL THE TIME from strangers about how weird it is to see a red husky? It seems that every time we take him out in public or to the dog park someone is always like "What kind of dog is that?" and I tell them he's a husky and they ask if he's purebred and when I tell them yes they are always so suprised. I have quite the rehearsed speech of how it actually isn't that uncommon and it's just like recessive gene traits in humans.

Do you guys get this much?
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 8:38 pm

I have yet to meet a red husky...I have a feeling when I do I will want to take it home lol however I get the same thing with Snow for her being all white.
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 8:44 pm

I get it all the time with my red boy, esp since his markings aren't 'normal' either. I usually just explain like you do and go on my way.
Back to top Go down
dragonthewhitedread
Teenager
Teenager
dragonthewhitedread

Male Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Every time I show a picture of my white pup to someone the first thing out of their mouth is "What kind of dog is that?" I guess people just aren't very well educated on different coat colors of dogs. Who knows. One girl I worked with even asked me when my puppy was going to get his "colors" lol I just looked at her and told her he may never get his "colors" and if he doesn't then what am I going to do?? She said with all seriousness, "I don't know!!" I walked away. Maybe I'm mean. It was funny though.

Anyway, your red is beautiful and looks like a wonderful dog to me. Don't let ignorant people get you down. Use it as a chance to tell people about how wonderful huskies can be, in any color! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 9:25 pm

We get it all the time with our two.. We got ask tonight if they were full grown the person didn't see how they could pull a sled the size they are. The color of Kerian really seems to surprise many people. There are a few they come to the dog parks here that look a whole like Blaze I think there is a couple of BYB in this area that seem to breed copper reds.

You know something I notice here on he forum that there seems to a whole lot of reds.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 9:29 pm

I get that all the time with Maya and Sophie. Especially with Sophie since she's got a "different" coat. Most of the time I get asked if they're Alaskan huskies. I just correct them and move on.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 9:30 pm

We get it all the time with Asia, but now it's more like the "brown" one. Honestly, she has turned more brown than red, but she's still a red Razz
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 9:31 pm

I've never seen a red in my area either. I had to drive a state over to get my Willow. I have been asked what she is mixed with and i don't think the guy believed me when i said she was purebred. Thanks to TV, everyone thinks a husky is only black and white and super fluffy. I do get a lot of comments on how pretty she is.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Yep all the time, I get the "wow I thought they were only black/white" or what is he mixed with lol. Balon is almost coppery in the sun, but inside looks brownish red. I even had a guy ask me if I got that color to go with my chocolate lab lololol! Actually I saw a red and just loved the color. When I went to select a puppy from the litter, Balon just picked us, he was so sweet and calm! The fact that he was a red helped too Smile

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 10:38 pm

ljelgin wrote:

You know something I notice here on he forum that there seems to a whole lot of reds.

I thought the same thing after seeing so many reds on this forum, then when people ask me the same thing about them being rare I say no they're more common then people realize. Since I acquired Biko, though I think I really can remembering seeing only 2 or 3 others in western NY.
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 10:42 pm

Tika is sable with a red head and we always get asked that. Ripley is the chow chow orange so we have 2 reds.
We once got this woman on the street asking what they were, we told her Siberian husky and she said oh so its not a REAL husly, I have a real one, you know black and while with blue eyes......
I thought Chris would punch her for stupidity.
We walked away, there's no point. Now we just say no, huskies come in quite a few colors, and leave It at that
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 10:53 pm

Kellyb wrote:
, I have a real one, you know black and while with blue eyes......
I thought Chris would punch her for stupidity.

Thank you for making me laugh. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 11:06 pm

My pleasure Smile
It was seriously the most stupid comment we have heard to date. There are also the people who say, is she full grown?? Tika is a wee 40 pounds. We ten explain the mal-husky thing......
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 11:38 pm

We get it all the time as well. We either get the "oh my I have never seen a red husky" or the "is she wolf" Hahah.

The one guy was like is she a wolf I was like no she is a husky, he goes oh, is she part wolf I was like no she is a full blooded husky.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 11:47 pm

I get it all the time with Zoey, given she is a reallllly light red, and I've only seen a total of 2 dogs the same color as her in our city, and one is her sister.

But most people say that the brown one can't be husky, she's akita. Yes, my AKC papered dog is DEFINITELY an akita Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:04 am

I get it all the time! Personally I have only seen (other than Cally's mom and siblings) one male and one female red ever besides her and this forum :p
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:45 am

When we first started looking for a husky, I was surprised at the amount of reds there were! There is a breeder in Oregon who seems to breed specifically for reds. They're gorgeous coloring for sure!! But Hollywood really does seem to make everyone think that huskies are all one color and one size. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:57 am

I don't think Rhode Island have a copper husky No every huskies I see are black and white or Gray and black/white. We starting a movement here lol
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:59 am

I kept getting my girl wasn't a Siberian because she's not black and white....I've also started to get sick of everyone keeps calling her a 'brown' Siberian...She's a gorgeous red not brown! LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 1:10 am

I don't think red is considered a recessive gene in huskies. It might be a recessive gene in a black and white husky. For example, Sabaka's parents were both black and white so I guess they had the red gene in there somewhere. (Actually, his grandfather was red.)

Supposedly reds are common...even though, after much discussion with my husband right now, we realize that we have only seen 2 adult red huskies in our lives (and have owned them both!) and Sabaka had one light red brother, who we saw with Sabaka's litter. We see only black and white or solid whites in the puppy stores around here. We actually don't see many huskies in this area anyway. We currently know of only a few (and they are all b&w).

We get lots of comments about his color. Most people are surprised to hear that he is purebred and not a mix because of his color. Our first husky had no papers and was only 35 lbs, so we really had no proof that she was purebred. I think the comments with her were harder to deal with. We would say, "Even though we have no papers, we think that she is most likely a Siberian Husky." to which the person would say something like, "Seeing as how she's red, she's probably mixed with a shepherd or something." After that, it was usually not worth explaining that huskies are commonly red...
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 1:25 am

Red is recessive. To get red puppies both parents have to be red factored (carry the red gene). The easiest way to assure red dogs in a litter is to breed two reds together because the pups can only receive the red gene (since pups get one gene from each parent).

Other colors (b/w, g/w etc) can carry the red gene and be red factored but there is no test to "prove" that a dog is red factored other than basically breeding to a red (or breeding to a dog that has thrown red puppies). Red/red will always throw red puppies. red/another color will throw one quarter as reds as long as the other color is red factored. If the other colored dog is not red factored (doesn't carry the gene) then no red puppies.

Red is in fact very common (this forum is actually proof how common reds are Razz) - in the show world - which isn't where most people look for them. Next to grey's it's the second most common color you'll see in the ring. As has been stated - the general population assume (and very much like ) the black and whites with blue eyes - so guess what most back yard breeders are breeding for? B/W blue eyes because they sell which is why reds aren't as commonly seen.

Those of you with Reds Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:04 am

To be honest I or my wife have never seen a red husky until we got Loki. As far as strangers the one comment that I think I got was if he was a "real husky", other than that they comment on how he is a beaut.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 5:06 am

Ok first of all - holy crap, Jason - Loki got BIG! Smile What a pretty boy!

And yes, we get stupid comments all the time...mainly asking if Chili's an akita, or wolf (cuz of the mask), or sometimes malamute (due to his size). <sigh> The kids who have seen Snowdogs, etc all recognize he's a husky because there are reds in the movie, same with Eight Below.
Those of you with Reds Snow-dogs-300

We get quite a few reds into rescue here in LA - Mufasa was the exact same intense copper color as Chili! He's my big red dog! I also call him "pumpkin". LOL

Those reds sure do get a lot of attention when we go out!

Here an article on the genes, if ya'll haven't been over to Husky Colors:
http://www.huskycolors.com/genetic.html
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 5:20 am

Until I visited a breeder and got Anubis I did not even know that red ones exist Very Happy.
His father is red too but is mother is black n white, so it is just a matter of which genes are stronger
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 10:43 am

For the longest time I thought there were two colors: black/white or red/white because that's all I saw (mostly from the dog show crowd). It's all the other color variations that surprised me when I first decided to get a husky. I haven't had Nanook very long, but so far no one has questioned if he is a husky because of his color. People around here seem to think that his blue eyes = purebred. The other day someone was telling me how she used to have a husky but that it must have been mixed with wolf because it had one brown eye. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Those of you with Reds   Those of you with Reds Empty

Back to top Go down

Those of you with Reds

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next