It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chachawolf
Newborn
Newborn
chachawolf

Male Join date : 2012-10-23

New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! Empty
PostSubject: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:48 am

Hello everyone,

I brought a new addition to our family last night, his name is Maru
He is 6 weeks jindo/retriever mix.

As soon as I brought him home, Zeus of course was going crazy wanting to play with him. He was licking, biting, and kept being on top of him with his front paws around new puppy's neck? it seems to me it's too rough for Maru..

Maru seemed very annoyed by Zeus and tries get away from him

of course if i separate them, Zeus cries

I was wondering what would be the best approach to introduce the new puppy to our home!

Thank you!!!

New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! Img_8111

New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! Img_8511
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Not sure if this will help, but when I brought Yuki home I had no issues. Cloud was 5 months old at the time, Yuki 6 weeks. Through this forum I learned about backyard breeding and although my breeder was fine in almost every aspect, there was still the one problem of bringing home my pup home two weeks early that I didn't like. I was warned that Yuki would probably be very mouthy (and you will probably be warned too) since she was brought home early, but because I had Cloud (and you have Zeus) I believe Yuki (and your pup will) learn the socialization it had needed from its siblings that it didn't get from the other dog. The first day Cloud kept trying to play with Yuki, but Yuki kind of ignored him. Now, I'm not sure if this is the best idea for you, but I gave Cloud a toy because I knew he wasn't toy aggressive and never has been with other dogs (Abby's Maya and Sophie would take toys away from him and he wouldn't do anything). Yuki went to grab the toy as well and off they went trying to tug the toy away from each other, and then they started warming up and Yuki went to pounce on Cloud and he layed on the ground and wrestled with her very gently. I watched them closely but in your case I would remove all toys if he's toy aggressive and go to a well-lit room and let them play together, telling Zeus 'gentle' or 'easy', whichever word you'll want to use in the future, when he's too rough. I'm sure others will come along with better advice but this is just how I introduced mine and it went perfectly well - they have had a couple small fights, as Yuki's always trying to prove her dominance, but other than that they're best pals! Smile
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 2:39 pm

congratz on your new edition. he is adorable. i don't really have much in the way of advice other than constant supervision when together and make sure you play with each individually while the other is kenneled so no one feels left out.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 2:40 pm

Yes definitely^^ Cloud and I will go for walks in sugarcreek metro alone and then Yuki and I will go to the pet store later that day.. well now that Yuki's old enough to go to the dog park maybe our alone trips will be there instead tehe Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chachawolf
Newborn
Newborn
chachawolf

PostSubject: Re: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 11:19 am

thanks! i'll give that a try!

I was just worried that Zeus was playing too rough on Maru because he keeps biting his ears and neck constantly... hopefully they'll be able to get along!

maybe I should let the breeder, who is also a friend, hold on to Maru for couple of weeks to learn more from his family?
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 11:29 am

Quote :
maybe I should let the breeder, who is also a friend, hold on to Maru for couple of weeks to learn more from his family?

If that is a possibility, myself I would do it. There is no downside to doing that at all. The pup can't help but learn about etiquette and behavior around them. There is also the fact that in that time period he will grow and be more solid on their next encounter, both mentally and physically.

If you are friends you might be able to set up meets during that time to desensitize Zeus oh so slightly as well.

I personally don't see the downside unless the mother has rejected them, or it is an unhealthy environment.

It can't do any harm otherwise and will probably be a benefit in the long run.

Congrats on the new addition, and best of luck.
~Chris~

Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

PostSubject: Re: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 2:12 pm

i agree with chris. We got dakota from a pet store (this was before we had met all you fine people and have since learned that's a big no no) h was 8 weeks old when we got him so he didn't have enough time with litter mates to learn things like bite inhabition and basic dog/dog manners. He's been getting some tough lessons from our 3 yr old husky rescue over the past weekend. He can take it b/c he's 6months old but if he was still 8 weeks i don't think he could take her tuff love Smile
Back to top Go down
chachawolf
Newborn
Newborn
chachawolf

PostSubject: Re: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks Chris and Crystal!

Yeah I should ask my friend to keep him for couple of weeks

Zeus seems to keep biting him all over his body and Maru takes it to a certain point and gets lil agressive
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 3:25 pm

I don't think Zeus realizes that Maru is still a baby, and can't play like he does. I'd definitely ask them to wait a few weeks. I had a friend who had a husky puppy under a year, they brought a new puppy home and they simply couldn't keep him because their husky was just too rough at such a young age. Now that the dog is a bit over 2 years they were able to bring an 8 week old puppy in their home with no issues.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 10:04 pm

I brought my other puppy home when my older one was 1 years old. I put Titus in the car with me to show that we are picking another family member up. Teach him to be gentle as Lycan at 7 weeks was really tiny. Titus was really gentle with Lycan until he reaches 6 months old where he can play rough..
Back to top Go down
chachawolf
Newborn
Newborn
chachawolf

PostSubject: Re: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 12:00 pm

Aw man.. I should've waited until Zeus was more mature -------

thanks for all your help guys!

by the way, how did you teach Titus to be gentle??

(Beautiful dogs by the way! (Jennett & Michelle)
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 2:18 pm

I brought Yukon home when Nikko was 9 months old and Yukon was 7 ½ weeks old. Nikko seemed be play rough with Yukon, and I would separate them, but Yukon would go running up to him for more. When they do play, Yukon will squeal like he is being hurt but I learned that is just the way they play. It seems they have calmed down a bit with their play, but it just takes time.

I would suggest to supervise them at all times and if they start playing to rough, keep them apart for a bit. It always looks much worse than it is!
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

PostSubject: Re: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 4:29 pm

search out video of husky play so you will have an idea of whats normal. My husband was really nervous at first watching Waya and Dakota play, all bared teeth and biting and growling and alpha rolls and neck pins. Waya drags Dakota around by the tail and shakes him gently by the neck when he gets obnoxious.
Back to top Go down
chachawolf
Newborn
Newborn
chachawolf

PostSubject: Re: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks for all of your helps!

Maru got a small scratch from Zeus's rough playing last weekend, so I've been trying to teach Zeus to be gentle with Maru.. if he got too rough, I would tell him "No,Easy~'

Zeus seem to back off when I say that, but of course, once I turn around He goes back rushing at Maru lol

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!   New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!! Empty

Back to top Go down

New playmate for Zeus! What's the Best approach?!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1