It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sleighperez1@yahoo.com
Newborn
Newborn
sleighperez1@yahoo.com

Female Join date : 2012-12-01

First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  Empty
PostSubject: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 7:52 am

Hello, im so glad to have came across this site, I am a first time owner my husband had a german shepherd husky growing up as a kid .. We rescued Leah a few days ago, my husbands coworker found her running around his house posted photos took her to shelter with no luck of her family looking for her, he could not keep her so she went on the the next co worker needless to say I said bring her home we will keep her First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  1625187496 stood up all night doing research : Sleep sleep: Sleep on husky's seems like lots of work but im up for it . she is the sweetest scared dog i have ever met she lays down or shall i say drops to the floor if anyone comes to pet her ; ( . with my 5 year old son petting her every sec of the day shes loving life so far she loves to jump bounce bounce bounce on people and grasp their arm with her two paws the trainer at petco told me huskys love to do that so my question to you guys is

what does shes look like to you husky MIx ? if so with what would your guess be ?

Food : shes was sent here with beniful but I would like to put her on a healthy diet asap so im asking for food suggestions i talked to the petco food expert ; ) and he said blue wilderness is the way to go, so Im starting with that i would love to hear any other suggestions you guys may have for me .

also they said shes a little bit under a year but not to sure No will be taking her to a vet asap to get her shots and all that fun stuff i dont know about Shocked ..

First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  70265011

hanging out with his new buddy ; ) My son age 5

First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  75920_10

First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  25221510
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  Empty
PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 8:00 am

Welcome! Congrats on Leah, and thanks for saving her Smile

She's definitely full Siberian Husky, and very pretty!

As for food, Huskies tend to have a sensitive stomach. You want to stick with something grain-free if you're going with kibble. We feed Taste of the Wild personally. Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Nature's Variety Instinct, Acana are good also.

There's also dehydrated, it gets not much more then kibble and very interesting. My dogs loved it when they were on it, but it was not the food for them. There's The Honest Kitchen, Grandma Lucy's and Sojo's.

Also a lot of users here feed a Raw Diet. We do occasionally, but it's to inconvinent for me with 3 dogs and no freezer space lol.
Back to top Go down
sleighperez1@yahoo.com
Newborn
Newborn
sleighperez1@yahoo.com

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 8:10 am

Thank you ; ) for replying , so can you explain the Raw diet ? Sounds scary lol . so full Siberian Husky ya think Cool ; ) I wonder how much bigger she may get affraid
Back to top Go down
Charsmom
Teenager
Teenager
Charsmom

Female Join date : 2012-07-19

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 10:34 am

Welcome! Thanks for rescuing her. There is lots of great info here, you can search almost any topic and you will find threads on it.

Quote :
I wonder how much bigger she may get affraid

The breed standard for a female is 35-50 lbs. That being said there are many that are larger than standard.

You are in for a ride, but it is well worth it.

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 12:20 pm

Welcome and congrats on your new husky! She does not look like a mix to me, I'd guess she's full Siberian husky.

sleighperez1@yahoo.com wrote:
so can you explain the Raw diet ? Sounds scary lol

Raw feeding is not scary once you learn the ins and outs of it, but it is something you should take the time to read up on and get familiar with before you make the decision to switch. This thread can be a nice starting off point to get you moving in the right direction and provides lots of links to excellent reading on the subject: Considering a raw diet?

You might also look at the following thread to get an idea what other husky owners are feeding their dogs...What are you feeding your Husky?

FWIW, BB Wilderness is a good food if that's what you would like to start your new sibe on.

so full Siberian Husky ya think Cool ; ) I wonder how much bigger she may get affraid

If she is already a year then she probably is not going to get much bigger, if at all. She may continue to fill out some over the next couple of years but it won't be a significant change. Wink

Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

Female Join date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 1:27 pm

yay for you taking her in!! shes a real cutie. Smile
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 1:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. She is a real beauty.. I would love to have a gray. I agree she probably is full SIberian husky.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 1:45 pm

Congrats on her rescue! She looks like she is loving your kids and vice versa!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Welcome! She looks all husky to me. Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Welcome! Thank you so much for rescuing her! Smile I help out with local husky rescue - I'm in LA and "local" includes your area too! I'm so glad you adopted her because the shelters are overrun with huskies here and all the shelters are kill shelters with no hesitation to put down beautiful huskies when they run out of space. You rock! The local rescues are Alleys Rescued Angels and Husky Camp, where our dogs are from, and I'm sure they were keeping tabs on your girl and stressing out that they had no more money and space to save her. Thank you!!! Smile

We're in the LA area so PM us if you need local help with anything! Smile
Back to top Go down
Cr0w
Newborn
Newborn
Cr0w

Female Join date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Welcome and thank you for saving that gorgeous baby!
Back to top Go down
sleighperez1@yahoo.com
Newborn
Newborn
sleighperez1@yahoo.com

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Welcome and congrats on your new husky! She does not look like a mix to me, I'd guess she's full Siberian husky.

Raw feeding is not scary once you learn the ins and outs of it, but it is something you should take the time to read up on and get familiar with before you make the decision to switch. This thread can be a nice starting off point to get you moving in the right direction and provides lots of links to excellent reading on the subject: Considering a raw diet?

You might also look at the following thread to get an idea what other husky owners are feeding their dogs...What are you feeding your Husky?

FWIW, BB Wilderness is a good food if that's what you would like to start your new sibe on.

so full Siberian Husky ya think Cool ; ) I wonder how much bigger she may get affraid

If she is already a year then she probably is not going to get much bigger, if at all. She may continue to fill out some over the next couple of years but it won't be a significant change. Wink

thanks so much im going to look into it Laughing Do you feed yours raw ?
Back to top Go down
sleighperez1@yahoo.com
Newborn
Newborn
sleighperez1@yahoo.com

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 6:42 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Welcome! Thank you so much for rescuing her! Smile I help out with local husky rescue - I'm in LA and "local" includes your area too! I'm so glad you adopted her because the shelters are overrun with huskies here and all the shelters are kill shelters with no hesitation to put down beautiful huskies when they run out of space. You rock! The local rescues are Alleys Rescued Angels and Husky Camp, where our dogs are from, and I'm sure they were keeping tabs on your girl and stressing out that they had no more money and space to save her. Thank you!!! Smile

Thanks So much Very Happy i will be asking questions often being that she if my very first dog and i hear they are lots of fun " work "
Back to top Go down
theredofshaw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Huskyluv wrote:

I think she would be the Raw expert. lol...
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 12:36 am

Yes, I feed a combination of things including raw. Smile

Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 12:43 am

Hello and welcome! wave She definitely looks all Siberian to me - and gorgeous at that! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 1:52 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:

Thanks So much Very Happy i will be asking questions often being that she if my very first dog and i hear they are lots of fun " work "

Ok - I'm going to tell you the secret to owning well behaved huskies but keep this between us... Wink

Exercise! Take her on a good walk (at least a brisk 30 minutes) in the morning before work and one after work for 45 minutes. You should be slightly out of breath while walking. You can make it more strenuous for her by putting a backpack filled with water on her back (like the Ruffwear packs). Increase the exercise as needed, based on her behavior. This solves most of the naughty husky issues! wave Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Kodasmomma
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-11-23

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 2:15 am

How lucky she is to have found you, and lucky you too! She is beautiful! Good luck with everything!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas    First time Dog Owner ;)  You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas  Empty

Back to top Go down

First time Dog Owner ;) You tell me your take on if you think shes a mix ; ) Oh and food ideas

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1