It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Shedding off coat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 4:04 am

Around what time or month do they start shedding off their winter coat? We got Daisy in March and she still hasn't shed her coat yet. Also, what is a good tool to use and also has anyone gotten their husky fur spun into yarn?
Back to top Go down
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 5:46 am

I've had Sky since August and she still hasn't shed yet either. I've heard great things about using standard grooming tools, i.e. good slicker brush, shedding rake. I own a FurGo pet (wal-mart furminator) and while it works, I'm not 100% sold that its better than my slicker brush. As for the last question...I don't know...but I'd wear some Husky sewn apparel.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 5:51 am

Embry didn't blow his coat until he was 2.5 years old, but Zoey did at 6 months. I think it really depends on where you live (how extreme season changes are), along with your dogs coat type. Embry and Ares both have shorter coats at the same age, and it took a lot longer for them to blow coat, Ares is almost 1 years old and his undercoat is just coming in, so I'm sure he won't blow coat for at least a year, while my female Zoey has always had a very thick coat.
Back to top Go down
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 7:30 am

Thanks for the replies! Daisy doesn't have a super thick coat and we live in the mountains in Western NC Cullowhee. So the weather here is pretty nice for Daisy. The winters are REALLY cold and the summers are HOT but not super hot. Daisy is also going to be 9 months in Dec.

Daisy brother Titan already blew his coat last summer in June. Is their fur biodegradable? Is it safe to leave some in the grass (the ones that would be hard to pick up).
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 8:01 am

I always do, the birds use it in their nests Smile
Back to top Go down
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 8:19 am

Jennet&Embry wrote:

Cool! That would be one really warm nest!
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 10:54 am

Nanook just started blowing his coat about a week ago. He's somewhere between 1 and 2 years old. His hair isn't super long, but it's VERY thick. I'm using a slicker brush that has a shedding rake on one end (cheap one from the grocery store). It works great, but my back porch (where I brush him) looks like someone dumped a ton of cotton all over it. Plus it seems like hair is just floating around everywhere and will randomly appear in places, such as my toddler's sippy cup or the insides of my shoes. (Good thing I'm not a neat freak!) I'm curious about how long the process takes because I'm not going to bother with super extra thorough house cleaning until it's over.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 11:07 am

I'm expecting Yuki to blow her coat probably this spring, her fur is pretty thick but that may be due to her winter coat growing in Razz And my mom thought she's seen enough dog hair with all Cloud's shedding... Razz
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 8:07 pm

vue_yee wrote:
Jennet&Embry wrote:

Cool! That would be one really warm nest!

Hard to see but the sparrows in our area hang out real close when Adobo & Biko get brushed out. I don't pick any of it up any more as the birds just about fight for the hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGWXgp2K9rk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf2ZtIyMips

Back to top Go down
zizzuki
Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

Female Join date : 2012-11-28

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 8:12 pm

zizzys about to be one year old on december 19th and shes blowing her coat like crazy. it started last month and has slowly gotten worse lol.
shes always had a thinner coat but lately its come in so thick and i cant keep up with it anymore hahah.
as soon as i brush all the dead hair out, more comes in!
but anyways, i use an undercoat rake. it works amazingly. ^_^
then i go over them with a slicker.
Back to top Go down
KoopaKrazy
Puppy
Puppy
KoopaKrazy

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 2:51 am

We use a furminator on Koopa, he doesn't mind it at all. He just sits down until we're done and it does a really good job getting the undercoat. It was about $50 but it's so worth it as much as he sheds.
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Onyx is 13 months old and we are going through our first coat blow. He has to be brushed twice a day and it still isn't enough. We are constantly pulling tufts of fur off of him. Its a battle we are losing but a war we will win Laughing
Back to top Go down
KoopaKrazy
Puppy
Puppy
KoopaKrazy

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Does anyone else's dog get sick when he blows his coat?? It seems like every time Koopa starts shedding more than usual he gets an upset stomach & sometimes has vomiting too.. I think he's eating his hair Embarassed we are always with him when he's out but I think he may be eating the clumps that come out in his cage...
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Invest in a pin brush and undercoat rake. I never suggest tools like the 'furminator' since those tools often strip and break the guard hair. Each dog is different as to when they will let go of their coat, so it's hard to say 'every May' or whatnot. You'll know when it starts to happen, you can take them in to the groomer when they really look 'clumpy' and have it washed and blown out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Sponsored content

Shedding off coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding off coat   Shedding off coat Empty

Back to top Go down

Shedding off coat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1