It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.   Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs. - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 5:36 pm

I would also be in the acupuncture first camp... I think the issue is with the medical use of marijuana... For it to be beneficial you essentially have to be intoxicated by it. Meaning after it "wears off" you're back to where you were before. I have looked into it quite a bit for ocular health for my grandma and it seemed you essentially had to be intoxicated all the time for it to have a medical effect- all the time.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.   Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs. - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 5:51 pm

arooroomom wrote:
I would also be in the acupuncture first camp... I think the issue is with the medical use of marijuana... For it to be beneficial you essentially have to be intoxicated by it. Meaning after it "wears off" you're back to where you were before. I have looked into it quite a bit for ocular health for my grandma and it seemed you essentially had to be intoxicated all the time for it to have a medical effect- all the time.

I have first hand experience here. When I take the glycerin tincture for my stomach issues in a controlled dose, It works like a powerful ibuprofen, except that it isn't unhealthy for me to take. I do not get high. I can confidently and safely operate a motor vehicle, work, and see clients. When I smoke recreationally, as one might drink alcohol, or if I were to abuse my tincture, I become intoxicated, and as such I don't work or drive stoned. Either way, no matter what, even if I didn't use my tincture or recreationally smoke for a week, my blood will show that I have moderate to high levels of thc in my blood, and the argument can be made that I am intoxicated by marijuana, though I am far from under the influence of it.

I also wonder how that differs from pain meds in general? If you're supposed to take them 3x a day, and they last for about 8 hours, isn't that staying intoxicated by something?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.   Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs. - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 6:08 pm

I know a certain Redbone Coonhound *cough my boyfriends dog cough* that he used to get high all the time when they were younger, and she's perfectly fine. And she doesn't come running or get excited if we decide to indulge our senses (recreational not medical). I would never do that to Kale just because he doesn't need it. But if he were dying and in pain, I wouldn't hesitate.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.   Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs. - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Lucy is certaintly not terminal, on doggie hospice. She's just old cranky Aunt Suzy, that hates everyone in the family, but still comes around at the holidays for the free champagne and dinner, and a chance to throw out insults at good people. Word has it that when she's stoned she's a regular angel, but I've never tried it. So far all the progress we made has been via training.

She is in pain, though, it hurts her quite a bit to do any amount of real walking around. That's why its so shocking to see her run and jump into a lap for a chance at some pot.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.   Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs. - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 12:39 am

My question would be when the drug is in the dogs system will it have the munchies for junk like .
Kibble 'n Bits.

Interesting topic tho
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.   Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs. - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 12:45 am

Here4thePics wrote:
My question would be when the drug is in the dogs system will it have the munchies for junk like .
Kibble 'n Bits.

Interesting topic tho

That would be hilarious. She suddenly just craves Beneful..
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.   Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs. - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 1:12 am

My bf's Coonhound is a fata$$/glutton, and overly lazy lol I wonder how much of that has to do with her "earlier years" lol Rolling Eyes

This is Marley lol

Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.   Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs. - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 1:39 am

She reminds me of Mixie, in her persistance.

Mixie is the most excited of our bunch, and especially loves potty and play time outside.
She whines the same for food and potty, so we have been training her to respond to "what?" With a single bark, if she wants to potty, so we know in the morning, before getting out of bed. She's not quite got it yet, but the video says a lot about who Mixie is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF6jIbnbK6A&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.   Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs. - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Yesterday I spoke with a vet surgeon for a local animal welfare group. I knew about him from my time at kennels and shelters, so I asked an old boss to get me in contact with him. It's a trusted organization, and he is a good vet, so I'll refrain from naming, given the nature of the discussion. We discussed giving Lucy marijuana for a while. He told me that he had seen many people who brought their dogs in for eating a stash, and that beside some anxiety and fear at the time, he never saw adverse effects. He didn't tell me to give Lucy marijuana directly, but he certaintly made it clear the he felt that there would be no ramifications if I were, hypothetically, to give Lucy marijuana, and that if it helps her feel better, it'd be worth it, theoretically.

This morning, I gave Lucy .5ml tincture with breakfast. I immediatly regret waiting so long to do this. Lucy has been trying to play with people and the dogs all day. She ate standing up, and she isn't growling when people approach her.

It has been 5 hours since breakfast and she's still in a good mood, and still walking more than usual.

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.   Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs. - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 8:05 pm

That's great! If it works, then who cares what other people think. If it is helping her live out a normal life, then I think that's awesome!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.   Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs. - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 7:19 pm

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-12/uoo-bii121812.php

Thought it was relevant. Study on pain killing effects of marijuana.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.   Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs. - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Thank you for posting that article.
I have not read a similar report, so that was new information for me.
The article seems to explain Lucy's reaction to Cannabis in my opinion.
The conventional pain med, Tramadol, likely blocks the sensation of pain, which is why she is not in pain when she takes it, but her mood is unaffected
According to what the article says, Lucy's reaction to Cannabis, where she becomes social, and happy, must mostly be due to cannabis causing her emotional responsivness to pain to dull down.

Viewing it in this light is confirmation, in my opinion, that Cannabis is the better option for Lucy. Id much rather the dog be aware of, but less bothered by, their pain, than to block her pain receptors, so she can't feel if she's overworking her poor joints, and she wakes up stiff and sore tomorrow..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.   Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Use of Medical Marijuana for dogs.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2