It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Persistent worms & excessive stools

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
inklie@hotmail.com
Newborn
Newborn
inklie@hotmail.com

Female Join date : 2012-12-23

Persistent worms & excessive stools Empty
PostSubject: Persistent worms & excessive stools   Persistent worms & excessive stools EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Hello!

Was wondering if anyone can help!
I have a 13 week old puppy, Luna, who seems to keep getting worms.

The first day we got her she was sick worms, so we rang the emergency vets and they said to give her worming tablets so we did.

A week later we took her to the vets (for her jabs) and they gave us some advocate for fleaing and worming.

We started noticing white flecks in her stools and she started to poo 15 times a day!!!

Has anyone else experienced this?

We took her to the vets again & they gave us a tablet for tape worm.

Now two days on, she seems to have round worms again.

She's not even been out yet, she's due to be allowed on boxing day and she hasn't been in contact with any other dogs.

I'm really baffled as to how she is contracting them and am getting worried, has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thank you
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Persistent worms & excessive stools   Persistent worms & excessive stools EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 6:25 pm

If you are actually seeing the round worms being expelled in her feces, then I think the Flea/Worm treatment is doing its job. The tapeworm would need another type of medication, which I believe you gave her. Sometimes the animal can become re-infested with tape worm (you will notice them as little rice-like segments in the feces) from their bedding or from fleas. If you notice little rice-like segments around her anus, she likely has tapeworm and I don't think most Flea/Worm meds remove them only the roundworms. You can expect excessive poo as her body expels these worms. Often the worms have irritated the colon and cause some nasty poos. You probably should just call your vet to make sure that what you are seeing is what should be expected from the meds that she has given your pup.

We actually had worms and diarrhea for a couple weeks after getting our pup at around 10 weeks old. Most small pups have worms. It's gross but not uncommon... Good Luck!! Smile
Back to top Go down
inklie@hotmail.com
Newborn
Newborn
inklie@hotmail.com

PostSubject: Re: Persistent worms & excessive stools   Persistent worms & excessive stools EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 6:37 pm

Yes, i think your right, she's had meds for tape worm & round worm but no avail. She's happy within herself, still eating and drinking & we're booked in with vets on the 27th but i'll give them a call tomorrow.
Thanks you very much for your help Smile
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Persistent worms & excessive stools   Persistent worms & excessive stools EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 7:04 pm

My Luna had some bad worms when I first got her too. Make sure she stays away from her feces because she can get reinfected by ingesting them as well.
Back to top Go down
inklie@hotmail.com
Newborn
Newborn
inklie@hotmail.com

PostSubject: Re: Persistent worms & excessive stools   Persistent worms & excessive stools EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks Katie, we try and pick them up as soon as she goes, so hopefully we can avoid more worms Smile
Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
inklie@hotmail.com
Newborn
Newborn
inklie@hotmail.com

PostSubject: Re: Persistent worms & excessive stools   Persistent worms & excessive stools EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Crying or Very sad Feeling sad now, as puppy has just been sick a writhing mass of worms (think they're round worm) but i've given her worming tablets only today!

Will call the vets first thing, but just have no idea where she is getting them from, anyone know how dogs contract round worm?

We've had her from being 8 weeks old and has be wormed persistently to counteract her recurrent worm problems, she'll be 14 weeks on Friday and as i mentioned previously hasn't been out yet or in contact with any other dogs, feel so sorry for her, she must be so uncomfortable.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Persistent worms & excessive stools   Persistent worms & excessive stools EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:52 pm

If they are coming out, they are dying! This is good! Worms are passed from eggs in fecal matter or soil and also fleas. If the mother has ever had roundworms, she will be a carrier to her pups (the way I understand it) and nearly all puppies have roundworms. The eggs are very resilient and can remain dormant for long periods of time.

Hang in there!! I know it is gross!!
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Persistent worms & excessive stools   Persistent worms & excessive stools EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:57 pm

You should look into doing a fenbendazole treatment. Its a liquid goat wormer that treats multiple forms of parasites, you give it for 5 days in a row and you'll be cleaned out. After the treatment is complete be sure you are picking up all stools and bleach the kennel/potty area. Consult your vet of course, but I have had no luck with the typical Strongid wormer that the vet gives (mainly because you have to give it and repeat in 14 days or you don't wipe out the parasites).
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
inklie@hotmail.com
Newborn
Newborn
inklie@hotmail.com

PostSubject: Re: Persistent worms & excessive stools   Persistent worms & excessive stools EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Thank you both for your help, it is very much appreciated.
Glad they are dying, they made me heave!
I'll definitely look into fenbendazole, as they seems to be very persistent!
Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Persistent worms & excessive stools   Persistent worms & excessive stools Empty

Back to top Go down

Persistent worms & excessive stools

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1