It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NikoandKendra
Newborn
Newborn
NikoandKendra

Male Join date : 2012-10-09

Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? Empty
PostSubject: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 10:13 pm

So I have been rummaging through CL for days now, and im disgusted by the people rehoming their pets.

Most ads are trying to recuperate the cost of the puppy, food, and all vet care, on an ADULT dog...........

It sickens me the way people will throw away their dog when the holidays come around just because they need money for gifts, and then 2 weeks later they want the animal back, its horrible, and if you post on CL about how the fees are irresponsible, considering that craigslist states "reasonabl small fee" in my opinion reasonable and small is not 500, more like 50-100. I have rehomed animals for friends in the past, that i paid them the fee that they wanted and then found the perfect home and practically gave the animal away, and the pets are in much better situations, it makes me want to start my own rescue!!

Now all that being said, i am responsible myself as a dog owner, my 2 never go without food, or water or baths or even warmth, and it hurt to even let my last 2 huskies go to my sister, but i can see them any time i want to, these people seem not to care, and then after disgruntled searchers look and look and then post an ad about the cost being to high, the sellers then go and flag those ads and bitch themselves about how its "their dog, their choice on the price, and if they want their money back then thats their choice" i understand and agree, but isnt the welfare of your pet and family meber more important than the caash your going to go spend on weed and meth you druggie!!

sorry for the venting,having a rough xmas and seeing all these people just giving animals away and then charging so much, some even state in the ad that the children need presents so the dog must go

how heartless can people be
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 12:28 am

I flag any ad listed over $100, screw em.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 2:03 am

Well, metro detroit isn't exactly known for being dog friendly. I shelled out big bucks for Delilah and found her CL, turns out she was sold to em by people who have a puppy mill, hence why they made me meet them somewhere and she was 250 - I paid it. When we realized it, we couldn't let her stay there.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 2:10 am

Here4thePics wrote:
I flag any ad listed over $100, screw em.

I agree with len I have flag several over $100.00

I did get Blaze off of CL they were only askn 75.00 for him and could not resist him.

Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 2:18 am

There's an adult Husky on CL in Seattle right now that has been 350 for a month now.

I've offered to adopt it into my kennel for $100 twice now, saying its a fair price and a guarenteed good home, but they want the money. I might just shell out the cash after Christmas. We always reach our limit on dogs right after Christmas, for a couple months until we get a few into good homes.

I only flag if they refuse to negotiate for the good of the dog.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 3:44 am

I had a post in regards to this subject on my FB a while back... Tori can attest to what a mess that turned into, haha.

I don't believe in rehoming fees. I believe in a home visit, a contract being made (with the main point being that if they find out they cannot keep the dog at any point, that it is returned to me), reference check, etc, just like they were to go through a rescue. I know a lot of people say a rehoming fee makes it to where there's more serious inquiries only, but if I were to do that approach, I'd waive the rehoming fee once I found the right home that met all the requirements I'd like- in other words, use it as a deterrent but not actual expect money from the person I choose to adopt the dog to. Someone having the ability to pay $50-$200 does not make them more fit to have a dog, honestly... some of the worst pet owners I know are the ones who are very well off financially with one of the owners a homemaker/works from home.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 4:25 am

Heather! wrote:
I had a post in regards to this subject on my FB a while back... Tori can attest to what a mess that turned into, haha.

I don't believe in rehoming fees. I believe in a home visit, a contract being made (with the main point being that if they find out they cannot keep the dog at any point, that it is returned to me), reference check, etc, just like they were to go through a rescue. I know a lot of people say a rehoming fee makes it to where there's more serious inquiries only, but if I were to do that approach, I'd waive the rehoming fee once I found the right home that met all the requirements I'd like- in other words, use it as a deterrent but not actual expect money from the person I choose to adopt the dog to. Someone having the ability to pay $50-$200 does not make them more fit to have a dog, honestly... some of the worst pet owners I know are the ones who are very well off financially with one of the owners a homemaker/works from home.

I could not agree with this entire statement more. It is the policy we have adopted for our adoption program, and the policy we promote other people to use when rehoming an animal for whatever reason. Puppy flippers are a problem out here, and will gladly pay $150 for a puppy, and post it back on CL next day for double. One lady is even notorious for having bought multiple entire litters at bulk price, to sell, as if they're a fucking a commodity.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 1:45 pm

I refuse to pay more than $200 for a pet quality dog, and even that seems to high to me, but I don't flag. If someone wants to buy a dog for an obnoxious price, that's their choice.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 2:24 pm

dahowlers wrote:
I refuse to pay more than $200 for a pet quality dog, and even that seems to high to me, but I don't flag. If someone wants to buy a dog for an obnoxious price, that's their choice.

Are you talking craigslist or in general? I would be more than willing to pay 800 from a good breeder.
Back to top Go down
prentiss80
Newborn
Newborn
prentiss80

Male Join date : 2012-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 2:38 pm

I think the cragilist rehoming fees is their way of selling the dog. The rehoming fee can be costly. affraid
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 4:01 pm

I will admit I did pay $600 for Rogue. The people had just bought her a week prior (from a store, bleck) for around $1K + a few hundred on a crate, toys, etc and then found out they were going overseas in a few months, which they didn't want to put her through. She was only 9 weeks old and came with a good amount of stuff. If we didn't live in a town where EVERYONE is looking for a husky puppy and usually has breeding in their plan, I would have probably tried to talk him down... but we were looking for a second dog, Koda and her hit it off within seconds when we met, and I am much happier that she has had the best home with me and is not being bred, running around loose like all the huskies on Carson, and is loved a ridiculous amount. She was worth the price. But she was 9 weeks old and these people just wanted to get a bit of the money they spent a week ago back, probably to be able to get a dog when they move to Germany since their little girl was so sad (I felt like an ass when taking her when she started crying!)
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Most rescues and shelters in Aus charge $400 to adopt a dog which includes vet check, vaccinations and desexing. I think that's a pretty fair price to pay.
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 2:07 am

Wow, we paid way too much for Ezio. It was sort of impromptu and we totally went about it the wrong way, but he's become an important part of our family so I can't say we regret it... Just live and learn for next time -- because we will be getting a second, one day!
Back to top Go down
sleighperez1@yahoo.com
Newborn
Newborn
sleighperez1@yahoo.com

Female Join date : 2012-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 10:12 am

If I ever had to give my dog up Crying or Very sad I would almost want to pay them PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! take good care of her !!!!! . I would want a good home for her money cant guarantee that.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 12:38 am

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/for/3502289375.html

This dog is pretty ... but $700 rehoming fee is insane!
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 12:51 am

mheath0429 wrote:
dahowlers wrote:

Are you talking craigslist or in general? I would be more than willing to pay 800 from a good breeder.

In general, but I also don't believe anyone breeding for pet quality animals is a reputable breeder. If it's just for pet, I don't see the sense in paying more than $200 for it.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 5:08 am

My only issue is bird related not dog related. Trying to find a decent home for birds, that will be willing to get them vet care if they got sick is very hard to do. I don't ever ask for then $50 if I'm rehoming (some birds don't get on in the flock or my hubby brings home way more than I can handle) but I've had people say that's even too much. I've had people say they'll take them for free. I'm not trying to get my money back, just want them to go to a good home.

That being said, more than $200 for a rehomed dog, especially one that isn't a puppy, is very ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 3:40 pm

dahowlers wrote:

mheath0429 wrote:

dahowlers wrote:

In general, but I also don't believe anyone breeding for pet quality animals is a reputable breeder. If it's just for pet, I don't see the sense in paying more than $200 for it.

Even responsible breeders create pet quality dogs.

No reputable breeder will sell a pet puppy for less than 650 or so - Just because its a pet doesn't mean it doesn't deserve the same medical care, etc.  That fee doesn't go into their pockets...it pays for health testing, C sections, shots, wormer, care for the mother and father, registration of the pups, and any number of things. Most breeders don't even break even.  200 wouldn't even cover 1/10 of a C section cost at an E - vet and C sections are more frequent than you know.

Last edited by mheath0429 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 3:56 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
dahowlers wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:
dahowlers wrote:

Even responsible breeders create pet quality dogs, but that doesn't mean they aren't show quality it means that breeder didn't like it for their lines.

I paid 800 for Cato, from Karnovanda. He was sold as pet quality, because she keeps her lines close. I was lucky to get him. No reputable breeder will sell a pet puppy for less than 650 or so - Just because its a pet doesn't mean it doesn't deserve the same medical care, etc. That fee doesn't go into their pockets...it pays for health testing, C sections, shots, wormer, care for the mother and father, registration of the pups, and any number of things. Most breeders don't even break even. 200 wouldn't even cover 1/10 of a C section cost at an E - vet and C sections are more frequent than you know.

I agree. I paid $950 for Hayden and $850 for Nicky. In my opinion Nicky isn't anywhere near show/breeding quality, but her breeder was planning on keeping her as a breeding dog, but thankfully she let me have her. Hayden's breeder was planning on keeping him as well, but due to a sickness she didn't. When buying a puppy, I would rather pay more money and get a good quality pup than one from a newspaper for a couple hundred bucks.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 3:59 pm

I know a breeder who gives away all the pups, working quality or pet, from her litters. She has an extremely extensive adoption process and contracts but she believes in breeding solely for betterment of the breed, not to make money or break even. That, to me, is a reputable breeder. And it's also part of the reason I find adoption fees so ridiculous, it's a personal preference though and to each his own. I don't have a problem with other people adopting dogs for large sums of money, but I never will.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:12 pm

What kind of working does this breeder do? Does she know her lines and the genetic diseases she carries? Does she health test? OFA and cerf certs? What kennel? I have never heard of such a thing..doesn't mean it doesn't happen. What does she feed?
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:37 pm

Lady must be loaded to be able to dish out a minimum of $4,000 (four pups or less) every breeding out of pocket and never recouping anything. I don't think we'd have any reputable breeders hardly if that was considered the way to be done.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Heather! wrote:
Lady must be loaded to be able to dish out a minimum of $4,000 (four pups or less) every breeding out of pocket and never recouping anything. I don't think we'd have any reputable breeders hardly if that was considered the way to be done.
lol! I was thinking the same thing.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Heather! wrote:

I was thinking the same thing - hence the 21 questions...hell, a C Section could cost 4,000 itself..

Anyone with good lines isn't going to give their dogs away free - those high prices of 1200 or more for breeding dogs are to weed out the bad seeds..you don't want your lines getting into the wrong hands. That can easily destroy perfectly good genes.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:45 pm

Koda's breeder only had 3 pups and spent around $4,000. She didn't even get 3/4 of the costs back when they got homes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next