It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:50 pm

She breeds schutzhund working pit bulls, but she's placed dogs in agility homes. She's also placed some of her dogs for police work, I believe she helped found the K-9 detection department by her, but I'm not positive on this. She knows her lines, relies heavily on Sorrels with careful inbreeding. She health tests(huge advocate for it actually, because it's so scarce in the breed) She's the pickiest person on structure I've ever seen, not just correct structure for the breed but also sound structure. I'm not sure what she feeds on a regular basis but I've heard of her doing raw and full carcass feedings on occasion. She isn't constantly producing. She hasn't produced for a number of years because she hasn't found homes that she sees as suitable, but she continues to work her dogs.

Here's her website:
http://www.workingpitbull.com/boldogkennel1.html
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Weird. My mom's name is Diane Jessup.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:54 pm

That's a really weird coincidence o__o
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:55 pm

I won't comment on it - I know nothing of pitbulls or their breeders. But you need to remember this, different breeds go for different costs...especially since their testing prices can differ greatly. I wouldn't base the price of a Siberian off of a Golden, nor a pit bull.

Good for her, but it's not realistic. She must have a great deal of money to be able to do that. I wish it could be that way everywhere, but its not. A lot of FANTASTIC breeders charge 650 or more for very healthy, solid Siberians..Other breeds are not my forte, so I will not comment on their pricing. Also, the k9 units pay for those dogs, believe me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 5:05 pm

I believe you, but it doesn't change my opinion. Unless it's a dog I plan on working at a competition level, I won't pay more than $200 for it.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 5:07 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I won't comment on it - I know nothing of pitbulls or their breeders. But you need to remember this, different breeds go for different costs...especially since their testing prices can differ greatly. I wouldn't base the price of a Siberian off of a Golden, nor a pit bull.

An Aussie breeder near me who I would consider (nothing absolutely phenomenal but a very solid good breeder) had a pet quality, older puppy, available for sale for $900. Personally I thought that was very high for an older pet quality puppy but after speaking with other breeders who knew her that was common price.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 5:08 pm

Why I'll pay big bucks for health testing:

http://www.offa.org/stats_hip.html

Siberian breeders, who you claim are not responsible have almost removed HD from show lines. That is impressive and shows me that these people think LONG and HARD about their breedings and test their animals to be sure. I trust a few breeders, they OFA all their dogs. I'll pay them, for reasons such as a 2% HD in the breed, which is down A LOT because of diligent breeders and a parent club SHCA.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 5:10 pm

arooroomom wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:

An Aussie breeder near me who I would consider (nothing absolutely phenomenal but a very solid good breeder) had a pet quality, older puppy, available for sale for $900. Personally I thought that was very high for an older pet quality puppy but after speaking with other breeders who knew her that was common price.

It's pretty crazy, the differences in price.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 5:49 pm

That is an impressive feat, and congratulations to them. That's definitely something to be proud of, don't get me wrong. But it doesn't change that me personally won't pay more than $200 for a pet dog, and I feel it's crazy to ask a pet home to dish out that much money. Producing healthier dogs can be done without charging extremely high fees, it's just harder. But then again, I don't need a show-line pet dog and have no desire to have one. While well-bred, I prefer to rescue from rescues or adopt from people who can no longer keep their dogs.

All I ask of a pet is to have a solid temperament, I don't need it to be papered or be a fancy breed, so I don't need to pay a lot. Nunya was the first dog we ever paid more than $75 for, and, while I don't agree with were we got him from, my mom paid for him. Aside from the sibe we got from a shelter when I was a baby, for $75, we got all of our other dogs for free.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Oh I get that dear, and I think rescuing is wonderful! I have a rescue also - but was just a bit irked by your statement saying that they weren't responsible is all.

No harm, no foul.. I just wanted to point out that there is a reason why prices are what they are.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 6:42 pm

Embrys breeder used to be reputable back in the day, but after losing so much money on people not wanting to pay a lot for a puppy and not wanting papers, she stopped registering litters (dumb reason). I paid $250 for Embry at 10 weeks old. Zoeys breeder is not reputable either, she's very new to breeding so that might be part of it but who knows. Zoeys dad had health testing when he was being bred by Liberty Siberians, but none of her other dogs had anything done, and Zoeys mom is so over breed standard it's ridiculous. I paid $300 for Zoey at 4 months, but she was UTD on all shots.

Ares was a Craigslist puppy, I paid $75 for him and he came with a kennel so I didn't try talking her down since I'd spend more on a kennel anyway.
Back to top Go down
NikoandKendra
Newborn
Newborn
NikoandKendra

Male Join date : 2012-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 10:36 pm

I would love to get in touch with the lady that doesnt charge, if the puppies are good and healthy, i emailed a breeder in portland last week, and it was a fiasco, she wanted all rights to take the puppy back at any time, i was REQUIRED to show the dog, and keep the husky at my home, but she got to choose the name, i would have to pay to train, but at any time she could take the dog back, pardon my language but WTF?? this chick was crazy, when i told her it wasnt going to happen she said she would email other breeders in portland so that i couldnt get a puppy anywhere else
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Josh, a lot of reputable breeders require similar things.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 10:39 pm

NikoandKendra wrote:
I would love to get in touch with the lady that doesnt charge, if the puppies are good and healthy, i emailed a breeder in portland last week, and it was a fiasco, she wanted all rights to take the puppy back at any time, i was REQUIRED to show the dog, and keep the husky at my home, but she got to choose the name, i would have to pay to train, but at any time she could take the dog back, pardon my language but WTF?? this chick was crazy, when i told her it wasnt going to happen she said she would email other breeders in portland so that i couldnt get a puppy anywhere else

Most show breeders do co-owning, and that is what that is. Before we rehomed Ares off CL we were going to co-own a dog with a show breeder. Probably one of the best breeders you will contact to be honest, and if she really did email other breeders, good luck.
Back to top Go down
NikoandKendra
Newborn
Newborn
NikoandKendra

Male Join date : 2012-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 11:31 pm

I know megan, Im not looking to show or breed, i just want a good pup that i can have as my best friend by my side, i love huskies, and maya is doing so good at my sisters, lol, we just found out kendra is allergic to wheat and grain so were feeding them all blue buffalo, jesse just doesnt want me getting a pup from someone who can take them back at any time, even if we are being good owners and friends, idk, just kinda iffy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??   Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am?? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Craigslist rehoming fees, anyone else as bothered by this as i am??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2