It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My poor girls are on Iams :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 am

^what she said.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 1:17 am

Also, if you need ammo for convincing them to get a Costco membership, it's really useful for regular groceries too if you have the storage space to buy bulk. And they make yummy cakes!!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 1:20 am

Is Costco like Sams? I know my parents have a membership to Sams so they might like to go there instead of Sams.

Oh and we have a big chest freezer so we have lots of storage space.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 1:25 am

MGoBlue wrote:
Also, if you need ammo for convincing them to get a Costco membership, it's really useful for regular groceries too if you have the storage space to buy bulk. And they make yummy cakes!!

I suppose what you had just posted answers my question so you can just ignore it Embarassed
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 1:26 am

Yes. Costco is like Sam's.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 1:28 am

Cool, thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 1:50 am

However, Sam's is owned by Walmart - so you will find walmart brands there.. I wouldn't feed those.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 1:54 am

mheath0429 wrote:
However, Sam's is owned by Walmart - so you will find walmart brands there.. I wouldn't feed those.

Costco - 1. Sams - Negative 1000.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 1:58 am

Too bad my dad is asleep right now, i really want to talk to him about it. We always go to Sams to buy groceries in bulk and pet stores are so expensive.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 2:02 am

I think if you go to Jacks website that it lists the brands they sell. I have a discount card when you buy so many bags, you get one free. I know it is local Dayton, Cincy area but I really like them. Of course if the best deal is a Costco, it's on the north side of Cincy so it wouldn't be a bad drive especially if you buy other things.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 am

What could Kay be allergic to? She's been on grain free and grain inclusive foods, chicken, salmon, and bison meal foods.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 2:11 am

Do you give treats? I've had the worst time finding treats for Lola, especially bones. Everything basted gives her the runs. By process of elimination (get it?), plain white cow ears work. No bully sticks, no pig ears. So I wonder if it the food or something else.

Also for me one of the best reasons to feed the better foods is less dog poop!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 2:18 am

Yes i love less dog poop, lol.

We use their food as treats since they love any and all dog food. The girls cant have any bully sticks or toys yet, we're working on getting Maya to share things with Kay.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 2:56 am

It's possible that Kay is allergic to one of the protein sources or it could be one of the lesser ingredients. Trial and error is the only way you're really going to be able to tell.

It's amazing how much I've learned since joining this forum. I used to feed my previous dog Iams and we started out feeding D&D Iams until I found this place and learned better. Smile

Good luck convincing your parents, but you've received a lot of sound advice on how to go about it.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 3:15 am

I've gotta ask, is there a reason you are without work, and don't drive?

Heather made an excellent point about being able to care for your own dogs. It won't be easy to move out straight into a place that allows multiple huskies, and that is a huge dog food bill, and vet bill, even for check ups. Just paying for food for them is expensive enough, I'm sure.

Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 3:24 am

Abby and I just recently graduated high school. While I got my license when I was 16 thanks to my family paying for my driving school as a christmas present, Abby has yet to get her license. That aside, staying at her parents is a wise decision to me, it is hard to find a place that will allow multiple huskies, plus her pups probably love that big backyard Razz
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 3:56 am

Yeah, but, I mean, dogs live for 15 yrs. That'd make her like 33 or something when she finally didn't have dogs.. She's gotta try to leave the nest by then..

I'm just saying, it's a huge responsibility. I have literally had to quit a kennel job, fly to Alaska, work on a boat for 2 months, and come home to resume dog work just to keep my bills caught up after spending a couple thousand dollars, and some credit at the emergency vet on a dog who died on the table, and the dog she fought.

I grew up on a good piece of property and always wanted my own dog, and my dad always told me no, even when he had one. I never understood why, until there were a couple years of my life where I would have been totally screwed if I had dogs to take with me.

I'm not knocking it, just curious as to why not be working somewhere, and paying for some driving school, so she can try to start paying for her own dogs.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 11:58 am

I'm working on practicing driving right now with my parents before i go take the driving test which i will be taking soon, then i'm getting a job after that. It's getting my parents to take me out driving that's sorta the issue, just have to nag them more i guess.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 4:26 pm

I know the feeling with your parents. My parents have never been much for buying expensive quality food for our pets. I waited until I got a job and license before getting a dog. Once I got Lycus, I started buying quality food for all of them and I was able to pay for all of his expenses.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 4:52 pm

I dont think certain people should get into others personal life as to why they dont have a job or licenses... Thats up to them to share it.. Shouldnt confront them about it if you dont know them personally.. She didnt ask any question about people reffering to her working or not she just stated it.. She was just talking about dog food..
Back to top Go down
ashleylou
Teenager
Teenager
ashleylou

Female Join date : 2012-07-03

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 6:30 pm

MayaAndSophie wrote:
What could Kay be allergic to? She's been on grain free and grain inclusive foods, chicken, salmon, and bison meal foods.
The dog trainer we go to, her golden was allergic to chicken so I'd say process of elimination? Good luck with everything
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks everyone Smile I'm going to try process of elimination to see what Kay is allergic to.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 1:58 am

Ericobeasto wrote:
I dont think certain people should get into others personal life as to why they dont have a job or licenses... Thats up to them to share it.. Shouldnt confront them about it if you dont know them personally.. She didnt ask any question about people reffering to her working or not she just stated it.. She was just talking about dog food..

My thoughts exactly. Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 2:20 pm

If convenience is at all an issue with them, PetSmart and Petco sell Buffalo Blue Wilderness food. It's in the shiny bags. Smile Ezio does great on it. It's still a little more expensive than other brands, but you don't have to really do a lot of searching to find it or anything. It's good for them and not at all "exotic".
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 2:29 pm

Lol, it's the foods like blue wilderness that they call exotic. But i talked to them about it and they said it isn't the food that really matters, it's the way the girls do on it. As in if they have solid stools and don't fart a lot. So if they don't do well on Iams we're going to try something else. They just wanted to try Iams out because they hadn't been on it yet. So we just have to find a food that Kay does well on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My poor girls are on Iams :(   iams - My poor girls are on Iams :( - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My poor girls are on Iams :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next