It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Marie<3
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-01-07

Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California Empty
PostSubject: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi everyone! I have been stalking the website day and night doing my research so I thought I'd finally say hello.
Here's a little about me...
I grew up around labs but have always been obsessed with huskies and German Sheperds. I think from the time I was 4 to 13 I asked Santa for a husky for christmas and cried every morning when I didn't get one....yes I believed in Santa until I was 13 lol. Anyway I think I am finally in a place in my life where I could give a husky the kind of life it deserves....I live in a house now for about a year with a pretty large yard, my daughter is now 12yrs old, and I have a job that I would be able to take the dog with so it would pretty much never be alone.
The only thing is now convincing my boyfriend. He wants a French bulldog. I feel like since we aren't married I should be able to buy the dog I want without his "ok", since the dog is going to be with me all the time anyway, nice girlfriend huh? Lol

Also I want to thank the people that created this forum! I have learned sooo much already that I would have never learned by picking up a book. And it's so nice to see how many other people are crazy about huskies. I have started talking to my family about getting one and the way I want to train it and feed it and they look at me like I'm nuts that I am researching food when I don't even have a dog lol. Whatever I'm just trying to be prepared!

Sorry for the long post but one more thing... I've just begun searching for breeders (through akc website mainly) and just wondering if anyone knows of any reputable ones in Southern California....

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

Male Join date : 2012-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:29 pm

Welcome, I hope you find a good place to get your puppy. I stalked the site for a few months being a total creeper before I decided to join lol.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Kale and I welcome you from NorCal Cool
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Marie<3
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks! Yea I found this site in Aug and finally joined in Jan lol.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Welcome to the forum! Smile
Back to top Go down
Kimber
Puppy
Puppy
Kimber

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:59 pm

Welcome! Hope you get your puppy!
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Welcome!
One thing that helped convince my mother that we needed a husky was to take her to a show and meet some show dogs. If he won't listen to reason, overwhelm him with cute, fluffy pups! Maybe that's playing dirty, but sometimes you have to Smile Also, that's how I met the breeder I eventually got my puppy from.
Hopefully you get your puppy! And welcome again Smile
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Welcome ! Hope you get the puppy or dog you want.

It took me several months to talk my hubby into getting a dog We had one when we first got married when she died he didn't want another I was okay for a while. Our first dog died over 9 years ago.

He said I worked on him for over 8 months before he gave in then after 6 months with one dog I want a friend for him that didn't take as long to talk him into it.

Back to top Go down
Marie<3
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Dot wrote:
Welcome!
One thing that helped convince my mother that we needed a husky was to take her to a show and meet some show dogs. If he won't listen to reason, overwhelm him with cute, fluffy pups! Maybe that's playing dirty, but sometimes you have to Smile Also, that's how I met the breeder I eventually got my puppy from.
Hopefully you get your puppy! And welcome again Smile

That's a good idea, I've never been to a show myself...ill have to look into that.
Back to top Go down
Marie<3
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 7:03 pm

ljelgin wrote:

He said I worked on him for over 8 months before he gave in then after 6 months with one dog I want a friend for him that didn't take as long to talk him into it.

I've dropped hints to him and said I'm going to get totally prepared before searching for a puppy, but I haven't started bugging...I better start now if it might take months!! Lol
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 8:17 pm

Welcome! wave

We're not too far from you! Smile Welcome to the group and thank you for your research on the pups! Smile Here is a great thread the site admin created to research breeders:
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t1042-how-to-find-a-reputable-breeder

There are a bunch of reputable-seeming breeders in the LA/OC/etc area so definitely do a ton of research. One giveaway is how many litters they have. AKC registration is just like registering your car at the DMV - it's not an indication of the quality of your car and how many breakdowns you'll have. Smile Definitely read the thread.

It'll be your dog, so I definitely think you should get the breed that fits best with YOUR lifestyle. There's a husky group that meets up every sunday from 2-5 at the El Segundo Dog park (sometimes everday day between 2-5), on imperial highway. Huskies owners love to talk about their dogs! Wink Maybe take boyfriend to meet some huskies?
Back to top Go down
Marie<3
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Sam, thanks I will read through that thread. When I have emailed a few breeders I noticed some red flags when a couple different ones wouldn't answer my questions about how many litters they have. Which reminds me (sorry if this should be posted in a different thread) is it normal to put a deposit on a puppy that hasn't been born yet? I think that is the weirdest thing because I want to pick mine out as well as see both parents.

I can't believe there's a husky meet thats not too far from me! Ill be the weirdo there with no dog! J/k lol I will def stop by though and bring my bf & daughter. Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:27 pm

Have you considered a rescue?? There seems to be alot of huskies in rescues.

I know alot of people want a puppy.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Rescuing has many pros such as not needing to go potty every 2 hours, and being able to exercise right away (with puppies you have to be careful not to damage their joints and can't run until a year old I believe) I kind of wanted to get mine from a rescue, but it wasn't going to happen. Rescues didn't want to give out a husky to someone who didn't have any experience (like me) and my age was a factor. But it is something I wish I could of done, and its definitely sometime to look into. However if you're set on a puppy, you're going the right direction with guidance from here in finding a reputable breeder Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 10:15 pm

Mine were both past the puppy stage . Kerian was a rescue at 2 years of age a guess no one know her history.

Blaze came from a BYB at 9 months old that had him for a sister in law who decide he was too much trouble.

When I got Blaze I really did not know much about the breed but I took it up on myself to learn what was required to make him a happy pup/dog.

Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 11:57 pm

I rescued my Siberian as well; but she was a puppy. If I could do it over again, I probably would have chosen an adult. I have another rescued husky mix and she was a young adult (around 1 1/2) which was perfect for me. Just remember puppies, especially Siberians, are A LOT of work! And no amount of research will prepare you for these fluffy little devils! They are a breed above the rest, that is for sure!

Keep asking questions! That is a very quick and easy way to weed out the good from the bad breeders. Don't put your faith in a website either. Looking at websites can be very, very tricky with some breeders, so make sure you get to actually see the parents, all of the other huskies on their property, and where the mother and puppies are kept. A good breeder will not let their puppies go before 8 weeks of age, in most states that is the law. The link above has a LOT of good advice, read it thoroughly!

Good luck and I hope you find the pup of your dreams!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Marie<3
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 2:53 am

The reason I wanted to get a puppy is because I wanted to be able to train it exactly how I wanted from the begining to try and avoid it learning bad habbits and things like that. I actually would consider getting a rescue, after all the reading ive done and seeing what you guys go through with your pups I question if I really am ready to go through it.
I was debating either to have a baby or get a puppy....lol (since I run a daycare with my mom and am around babies all day, I'm going for the puppy) so i am taking this pretty serious.
I think if I walked into a shelter and saw a husky, id end up leaving with one. Maybe that might be easier than trying to find a good breeder actually.
I'm going to open a thread with a question to people with rescues to get some more info.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 12:04 pm

First question you should ask each breeder is if they do testing on the parents.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 12:25 pm

This seems to come up quite a lot.. people wanting to 'train it from scratch' and wanting for it to 'bond with you from day 1'.. a lot of rescues will behave and be as attached to you just as a puppy would, if not moreso. So please don't give up on the idea quite yet.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 4:11 pm

Just wanted to update this thread to say that not all rescues are harsh on first time siberian owners. If you do run into any issues, move on. There are a ton of homeless huskies. Smart rescues interview owners to see who has done their research and who hasn't and base their decisions on a case by case basis.
Back to top Go down
Marie<3
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 6:16 pm

I think after reading everyone's response here and in the other threat about your individual experience with your rescue dogs I feel a little stupid for listening to people's opinions who probably never had any experience with adoption anyway. It does seem like you have more of a bond with your rescues than the ones you've raised. Almost like a spoiled child who's always gotten what they've wanted vs someone who grew up with nothing so they appreciate things more. I don't know if that's a fair analysis but something like that lol.
I have looked up a few rescue places and am going to go that route first. Thanks for your knowledge everyone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 6:37 pm

PM'd you more info! Smile

It's not stupid, I think many people here had the same idea before getting their dogs unless they had friends or family with adoption experience. That's why this site is such a great resource!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 pm

It's just the whole "shelter" or "throw away" dog persona.. people who don't know don't get it. It's not your fault. It's really an epidemic. Just by us changing your point of view, maybe you can change someone else's point of view, and could become a chain of change!!

Just remember, shelter dogs are not damaged or broken..they just got a bad card in life. If they were people, they would be called wise for all they have seen and been through.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of husky's.

Also wanted to say that your situation sounds very similar to mine minus the boyfriend not being on board. My boyfriend was totally on board when we got Saphire and then we broke up two weeks later because the puppy was taking to much of my time. (I think he was just looking for a reason . . . but that is beside the point).

If things between you and your boyfriend are serious and specifically if he lives with you, you definitely want to make sure you both know what you are getting into. I have heard too many horror stories about husky's getting let out and injured or just running away because someone in the house didn't know they weren't supposed to let them just dart out the front door.

However to his hesitation to get a husky I will say this:

Once you go husky you won't go back; and

They are like lays brand potato chips, you can't have just one.

Good Luck and again Welcome.
Back to top Go down
Marie<3
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks Dena, I think eventually he will get on board with me on getting a husky because he's known from the day we met (4yrs ago) that I've wanted one and he sees me on this forum every night so he must know its coming lol.

It's funny that you say once you get one you can't stop because Im noticing the majority of people on here having 2 or more. And yesterday I was at the gas station and talking to my mom on the phone about possibly adopting one and I was telling her how most people have more than 1 and I'm like, I don't know if I could handle that...it's twice the mess and poops ect....then I turn around and this guy is pumping gas in a little tiny old car and what do I see in the driver seat....a husky!...and in the back seat...ANOTHER HUSKY! I was like mom this is a sign!! Lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California   Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi from a "want to be Husky owner" from California

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next