It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Getting too excited by other dogs on walks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CrazySmurf
Newborn
Newborn

Getting too excited by other dogs on walks Empty
PostSubject: Getting too excited by other dogs on walks   Getting too excited by other dogs on walks EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 4:31 pm

So when I got Luna she had a terrible pulling problem and after a month of consistent training with positive reinforcement (treats when she was walking along side me and no treats / stopping the walk when she pulled) I taught her to heel or at least loose leash walk. Than it snowed and the pulling got terrible again, so I had to retrain her to walk loose leash when snow was on the ground which took another month. I think through all of that training she also learned not to pull or chase small animals that we happen upon. However, even with all this loose leash walking training we have NEVER met a dog she didn't pull to, and get incredibly excited jumping / whining / leash biting when I don't let her get closer / meet the other dog. I have no idea how to train her to be less excited around other dogs. I don't think I can use treats to train her, simply because she ignores me and all treats I have offered her when other dogs are around, even when dogs are barely within sight distance of her. I would love any tips anyone has.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Getting too excited by other dogs on walks   Getting too excited by other dogs on walks EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 4:42 pm

I've had dogs like that and find that it takes practice and more practice (around other dogs). I enroll mine in obedience classes to get the practice around other dogs in a controlled environment and teach "watch me" (pay attention to me and only me while we're "working" on a leash).
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Getting too excited by other dogs on walks   Getting too excited by other dogs on walks EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 4:44 pm

Don't let her meet other dogs on walks till she can handle walking by them without acting up, it will only make her want to go over to them more.

Have her walk right next to you, and start with "leave it" or "on by" commands, and treat her when she walks past calmly.

OR

Have her sit looking at you with a treat when you see a dog approaching, treat her while she keeps her eyes on you, if she starts to get excited, tell her to sit, give a "leave it" command, and treat when she makes eye contact.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
CrazySmurf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Getting too excited by other dogs on walks   Getting too excited by other dogs on walks EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 5:31 pm

I think trying to get her to walk past a dog calmly is way out of our reach at the moment. The having her sit thing might work, but she completely ignores me around other dogs, I don't currently let her meet other dogs when she gets that crazy excited (which is every time any dog is near us) and only did let her meet the other dog the first week I had her before I knew better. I guess what I need to know is how to slowly work up to being calm around an approaching dog outside. I think I could teach her to sit calmly and wait for a dog 60-70 feet away, but as the dog gets closer Luna will get more excited, I'm not sure in a real world environment how to slowly build the calm behavior as the distance gets closer. For example: Lets say Luna breaks her sit and starts jumping / pulling towards the other dog, do I just pull Luna away from the dog, because that seems to not be working and only exacerbates her behavior. Thanks as always for any advice.
Back to top Go down
Dragonfly
Puppy
Puppy
Dragonfly

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Getting too excited by other dogs on walks   Getting too excited by other dogs on walks EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 5:56 pm

An exercise I used on Duke (a 28 at the shoulder St Bernard puppy) when he tried to drag me toward people or dogs I would turn around and walk AWAY from that thing he was over excited about. Once he relaxed and walked the direction I wanted, I'd circle back and try again.

Another thing that helps your dog to stay calm on the leash is to praise it for looking at your or for just giving the leash slack or waking closer to you. When I take a walk with my dogs that are still learning, I tell them "good dog!" if they look back at me, and give a pet here and there to show them that being close and "checking in" with me is good!

That way when you walk toward a dog and she starts getting excited you can get her attention easier because she knows that you like her to look at you and stay close.

It just takes a lot of practice, she doesn't rush toward those dogs to be a pain, she's just really excited and doesn't know that its bad. The great thing about huskies is they do want you to be happy, you just have to get good at showing them how to do that. =)

Last edited by Dragonfly on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixin' typos.)
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Getting too excited by other dogs on walks   Getting too excited by other dogs on walks EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 10:15 pm

Have you tried desensitizing your dog to other dogs?

Kennedy was a shelter rescue, so she was used to being able to rush up to any dog and for it to be okay. So I had a lot of work cut out for me. First we also corrected her pulling. Next I went on to desensitizing her on walks. I have a neighbor who leaves his Golden outside on an invisible fence while he is at work, so I used her for training Smile.

What we did was I would treat her as soon as we started to walk down the street, as long as she was calm! The closer we got to Bell (the golden), the more I treated for good behavior. The minute Kennedy started to loose focus on me and focus more on Bell, I corrected her and we turned around and started over. The main goal is to be able to walk past a dog with Kennedy staying completely focused on me. It took awhile and we are still working on it, but I swear by desensitization!

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
CrazySmurf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Getting too excited by other dogs on walks   Getting too excited by other dogs on walks EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 12:55 am

I will try the desensitizing thing. Going to be a challenge finding a dog left outside for any period of time in the winter here. However, I'll bet I can find something. Thank you for the tip.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Getting too excited by other dogs on walks   Getting too excited by other dogs on walks EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 1:13 am

Do you know anybody with an older calmer dog that would help you?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Merch
Newborn
Newborn
Merch

Male Join date : 2013-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Getting too excited by other dogs on walks   Getting too excited by other dogs on walks EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 4:37 pm

CrazySmurf wrote:
I will try the desensitizing thing. Going to be a challenge finding a dog left outside for any period of time in the winter here. However, I'll bet I can find something. Thank you for the tip.

Try outside of a dog park? Hopefully you have one with enough space around it that you can start far enough away that she won't be over aroused so slowly work your way closer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting too excited by other dogs on walks   Getting too excited by other dogs on walks Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting too excited by other dogs on walks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1