It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Maya gave me a scare yesterday...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 3:10 am

Yeaahhh..not a very nice thing to do. I know some trainers live and breathe leash pops, but I find that saying NO in a stern voice and just stopping dead in my tracks works wonders. Aanndd my dog won't have neck problems.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 3:12 am

I usually just stop. Then if shes pulling really hard, I immediately switch directions and walk back and then whirl around real quick and start walking forward while shes still walking back. It gets her back by my heel tehe
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 3:13 am

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
Yeaahhh..not a very nice thing to do. I know some trainers live and breathe leash pops, but I find that saying NO in a stern voice and just stopping dead in my tracks works wonders. Aanndd my dog won't have neck problems.
That's always a plus. Smile
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 3:14 am

Mobezilla wrote:
I usually just stop. Then if shes pulling really hard, I immediately switch directions and walk back and then whirl around real quick and start walking forward while shes still walking back. It gets her back by my heel tehe
That's what i do plus with treats, that is when i remember to bring the treat bag...
Back to top Go down
Camoger
Newborn
Newborn
Camoger

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 4:21 pm

How long have you had Maya?
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Camoger wrote:
How long have you had Maya?
I've had her since she was 4 months old and she's 4 years old now. Smile
Back to top Go down
Camoger
Newborn
Newborn
Camoger

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Excuse me if this sounds.. Blunt, or rude.. but Why, after four years, do you not have a reliable off-lead recall, where you can simply tell Maya 'come here' once she slipped the harness, and either leash her or put the harness back on it?
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 4:46 pm

Camoger wrote:
Excuse me if this sounds.. Blunt, or rude.. but Why, after four years, do you not have a reliable off-lead recall, where you can simply tell Maya 'come here' once she slipped the harness, and either leash her or put the harness back on it?

You don't know huskies very well do you?! Lol. They get loose, and don't look back because of the desire to run, it overtakes them entirely. Even if they have great recall, chances are they won't hear a thing.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Keyda81 wrote:
Camoger wrote:

You don't know huskies very well do you?! Lol. They get loose, and don't look back because of the desire to run, it overtakes them entirely. Even if they have great recall, chances are they won't hear a thing.
This made me chuckle. Koda has a good 3-4 words that we only use for high value treats. If he slips his collar, he's GONE. Takes a few minutes before he decides to "hear" anything.

Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Yeeeeah... It TOOK four years to get my male to respond to a recall word (and I am a trainer and behaviorist- so it isn't anything about my lack of skill) and I got lucky with my female being respondent.
Some huskies don't care and will never respond. Not to sound rude, but I wouldn't make judgements like that when you are not aware of some of the main unsatisfying behaviors most huskies possess (some can learn, some are lost causes).
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 5:11 pm

Camoger wrote:
I had a toy aussie once that had great recall because all he wanted to do was follow me around and please me. Maya could care less. The greatest reward for her is to run as far from me as possible. Razz Now if some random person on the street called her when she got loose she'd go up to him because he isn't going to put a leash on her and ruin her fun. If she knew i had treats she'd might come running but I've never tried letting her loose and calling her, i'd rather not lose her. She comes 100% of the time in the yard if i have treats, in the house without treats, and outside on a 50' lead if i have treats.
Back to top Go down
Camoger
Newborn
Newborn
Camoger

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 5:20 pm

I'm going to by-pass all comments here except the OP, because, to be honest, they all sound like irresponsible ignorance to me. I DO know how huskies are, none of what you are saying is new to me.

Abby, I know how it is, I really do. But, no dog can be kept on a lead at all times. Accidents like this, and similar ones that end a lot worse are the reasons to put the time in and train a reliable recall. I can tell you already have the basic understanding of how the training works, She comes when you have treats if there is nothing else around she would rather do, she KNOWS what the command means, she just gets more rewards for not obeying. I would highly recommend you (and anybody else who cares about their dog) puts the time and effort into training a reliable recall. It CAN be done... If you are serious about trying, I can help you research some techniques that might work better with a husky.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Okay, so now myself, and a few other members on this forum are irresponsible, and ignorant?! You don't know anyone, and are very quick to judge people, so I would suggest for you to keep your opinions to yourself.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 5:33 pm

I can understand both sides of this argument but i would like to get emergency recall training in for in case my pups get loose.

What are the techniques? I'm serious about trying anything but i didn't know what other techniques there were. I know some people on here have an emergency recall word they've worked on in case their husky(s) get loose.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Camoger wrote:
I'm going to by-pass all comments here except the OP, because, to be honest, they all sound like irresponsible ignorance to me. I DO know how huskies are, none of what you are saying is new to me.

Abby, I know how it is, I really do. But, no dog can be kept on a lead at all times. Accidents like this, and similar ones that end a lot worse are the reasons to put the time in and train a reliable recall. I can tell you already have the basic understanding of how the training works, She comes when you have treats if there is nothing else around she would rather do, she KNOWS what the command means, she just gets more rewards for not obeying. I would highly recommend you (and anybody else who cares about their dog) puts the time and effort into training a reliable recall. It CAN be done... If you are serious about trying, I can help you research some techniques that might work better with a husky.

First, I think that was kind of rude to say everyone else sounds ignorant. You say you know how huskies are, however have you ever had huskies? Second, I would NEVER trust my dog off leash, and I have been very diligent in training him, however I would not feel confident if his collar slipped off. Once he has spotted something that he wants, there is nothing that will stop him, especially not calling his name. I ALWAYS have a training collar on him, and I make sure it is on correctly before we go on our walks. I have had a couple of scares but luckily it did not turn out bad.
Back to top Go down
Camoger
Newborn
Newborn
Camoger

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 5:50 pm

As Kayda pointed out, I am new here so I am not familiar with what you have and have not tried, so lets start with this..

Total Recall

Maybe read up on that a little bit and shoot me a PM with a few details on what in that you have and have not tried along with whatever other recall training you have worked with.. In the mean time I will start researching some 'husky specific' recall training.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Shit, I didn't know I was ignorant and irresponsible when I have two very well trained dogs, who yes, do have recall, and one a service animal and the other a therapy dog, and three years being a trainer and having a degree in animal behavior and physiology. I'm sorry I am not up to par with your amazing ways of dog ownership. Seriously, you came on here with a terrible attitude from your first post trying to correct people.

You are pretty much saying anyone on here who doesn't have a dog that responds to emergency recall is irresponsible, which is a LOT of the members. It's rude. It isn't like it's from lack of effort and care on their part.

You may be new here but I don't think anywhere it's viewed acceptable to put people down like that from the start. You don't know what the OP or the other members have done to work on recall.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Camoger wrote:
As Kayda pointed out, I am new here so I am not familiar with what you have and have not tried, so lets start with this..

Total Recall

Maybe read up on that a little bit and shoot me a PM with a few details on what in that you have and have not tried along with whatever other recall training you have worked with.. In the mean time I will start researching some 'husky specific' recall training.

The fact that you ignored ALL comments that disagreed with your own shows how truly ignorant YOU are. Don't judge Abby that way, and start respecting members older than yourself.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 6:16 pm

Simmer down guys.

The choice as pet owners to keep our typically unreliable off-leash dogs, on leash at all times ins't irresponsible. Sure- I wholeheartedly believe that everyone should encourage and train recall but because they haven't achieved it doesn't make anyone irresponsible or any less of an owner.

Do not disrespect other members, please. And that goes for BOTH sides of the coin.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 6:25 pm

i do what a few other posters have mentioned when their husky slips leash ...we make a game of it. I saw Victoria Stilwell do it- she said make high pitched exciting noises and run away and the dogs desire to chase usually takes over. Works like a charm with Kiba although ive only had to do it twice. We work very hard on recall and she'll come 90% of the time until she spots our neighbors cat. Glad you got Maya!! that would scare me too!
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 7:12 pm

I read the article and am familiar with the techniques described, also with the high-pitched squeals method described above. These methods work most of the time.

However, perhaps five percent of the time they don't. Huskies have an incredible prey drive. If any of my huskies ever saw a deer or elk off leash, it was/is off to the races despite "total recall" training.

I've had three huskies over the last 30 years, and had scares with all of them. My first two dogs were leashed most of the time, but Bodhi is leashed all the time. I've learned my lesson. In fact the trainer with whom I trained my current dog Bodhi in "total recall" discouraged me from ever relying on it in traffic or in a dangerous situation. This was because he is a husky. He strongly advised keeping him leashed in those situations.

Many of us on here believe that huskies are not like other dogs when it comes to strict obedience. That's why we keep them leashed. Other people who post here allow their huskies to go unleashed. Neither group is ignorant or lazy. We all love our dogs and are trying to do what is best for them.
Back to top Go down
Music Lover Kayla
Newborn
Newborn
Music Lover Kayla

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:12 pm

wow it was getting hot in there. Shocked but imagine it from my perspective, you sit there playing your game and suddenly get a call, answer the phone and find out that Maya got out of her harness. that's enough to give anyone a heart attack. knowing she had the other two pups you run outside in your pjs and hop on a bike to search for your sister and a missing dog. it was a horrible day but thankfully we have great neighbors.
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:38 pm

I know where you guys are coming from, recall our not I can watch Bella get excited about something and it's like you can see the training fall out of her head. It's like a person getting focused on something so much they lose sight of everything around them so I don't know that it's so much a training issue as something that's dog specific.
Bella has slipped her collar a few times (I had treats with me so we were ok) which is why I use an alpine harness, adjusted correctly I don't really see a way for her to get out and she has tried a LOT at first. Last time my ex went crazy and tried to run Bella off. Luckily the moment I got outside Bella was so excited to see me she ran to greet me and I grabbed her and ran her inside.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Abby, so glad you got her back! I would have freaked too!!! Another suggestion... I always use a back up, just in case! On normal walks, runs, or while biking. I'm not sure where the clip is on your current harness (or the xback), but I use a small dog coupler which I attach to their leash and collar. Hope that makes sense. If not, I'll try to take a picture tomorrow Smile

Oh, and while biking I use the walky dog. I still keep their leash on them in case the walky dog breaks. I highly doubt it will, but I'm extra paranoid!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 10:05 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Abby, so glad you got her back! I would have freaked too!!! Another suggestion... I always use a back up, just in case! On normal walks, runs, or while biking. I'm not sure where the clip is on your current harness (or the xback), but I use a small dog coupler which I attach to their leash and collar. Hope that makes sense. If not, I'll try to take a picture tomorrow Smile

Oh, and while biking I use the walky dog. I still keep their leash on them in case the walky dog breaks. I highly doubt it will, but I'm extra paranoid!
It makes sense, Megan told me that that's what she does and i was thinking of doing that. I want to get a walky dog at some point. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maya gave me a scare yesterday...   Maya gave me a scare yesterday... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Maya gave me a scare yesterday...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2