It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need help with Registered Name!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

Male Join date : 2012-12-19

Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:15 am

I've see some pretty good sized paragraphs from both of you, hasn't become too one sided just yet. :p also has Ashoka kept you up yet like you foretold last week when Anakin was driving me up the wall?
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:16 am

Hence why I said "usually" Razz

Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:19 am

Niraya wrote:
Hence why I said "usually" Razz

Touché :p lol. I'm wondering if she might darken like tan huskies do. Think Shelby from gone to the snow dogs if you've ever seen her as a puppy her coat was only a few shades darker than Ahsoka but that's just a small time observation. Nothing big enough to really build anything on.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:25 am

I honestly don't know. Like I said, my genetics studies is in its infancy and I never touched on whites ( I was mostly focused on Agouti and branched out) when speaking with my breeder.

I also don't know much about tan or how it works (what I once thought was "black/tan" has been skewed by seeing genetically "black/tan" and let me tell you - he looked nothing like Mickey [but Mickey is a black/tan] lol).

Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

Female Join date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:33 am

"Buff and White. This is a comparatively rare color stemming from the oxidation factors which may be favorably compared to the color of a Palomino horse. The buff usually deepens with age and becomes steadily darker; usually more noticeable in winter than summer. A true buff and white has no black within his coat but has black points."
?

Ahsoka hasn't kept me up yet. Because I haven't locked her in her crate. I've let her sleep on me... *looks innocent* I had my 4 year old this weekend and too much stress with the other dog in heat to deal with it. And with her urinary tract issues I think it would be cruel to confine her where she would have to pee where she was sleeping if she couldn't control it. I will find out in the morn if she has a UTI or not.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:36 am

Yeah I read that but that's the only place I've heard the term "oxidation" used so I don't quite understand it.

But she would be ruled out because she doesn't have black points. Eye rims and nose are liver.

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:40 am

Too bad you're clear across the country, otherwise she could meet Foxlair's Master Anakin Akela Solo :p at least that's what I'm aiming for. Have to see if it works out.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:40 am

Good lord - what a name.

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:42 am

Niraya wrote:
Good lord - what a name.

Lol, well he has to have something suitably nerdy :p
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:43 am

Niraya wrote:
Good lord - what a name.

Ditto.

Hey Niraya, I found an article on white/cream that I understand almost none of. Have at it if you'd like. :p
http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/98/5/544.full

Her nose is mostly black and her mouth is black...The black definitely fades into liver towards the corner/top though. Now you have me researching obsessively again. My raviolis are sitting next to me, cold and lonely...calling to me..."eeeaaaaat meeeeee..."
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:43 am

Makes me glad my next dog has nothing to do with being nerdy/geeky! end up with a super long 50 character name >.>

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:49 am

Niraya wrote:
Makes me glad my next dog has nothing to do with being nerdy/geeky! end up with a super long 50 character name >.>

It will only get worse when my next pup comes around. Won't even begin to go into the ideas I've drummed up for him/ her.

Edit: since his mom is a "princess" I might shove a prince somewhere in there.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:51 am

Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 Siames10

"In many species, such as cats, rabbits, mice and cattle, there is a mutation that causes a temperature sensitive loss of pigmentation in the warm parts of the body. The dog at the left looks like the dog equivalent of a chocolate point Siamese cat. He was apparently found as a pup on the streets of Russia, but then disappeared again. It would have been interesting to study its tyrosinase sequence.

To date no mutations affecting dog coat colors have been found in the coding sequence of Tyrosinase, the typical gene associated with the C locus in most other species."

Tyrosinase is something they talk about in the article.

Basically - that article says the same thing I quoted in previous posts lol but it does it in a much less layman friendly way.

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:52 am

Yeah, Princess Anakin instead of Master!

Last edited by Niraya on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:53 am

Niraya wrote:
Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 Siames10

"In many species, such as cats, rabbits, mice and cattle, there is a mutation that causes a temperature sensitive loss of pigmentation in the warm parts of the body. The dog at the left looks like the dog equivalent of a chocolate point Siamese cat. He was apparently found as a pup on the streets of Russia, but then disappeared again. It would have been interesting to study its tyrosinase sequence.

To date no mutations affecting dog coat colors have been found in the coding sequence of Tyrosinase, the typical gene associated with the C locus in most other species."

Tyrosinase is something they talk about in the article.

Basically - that article says the same thing I quoted in previous posts lol but it does it in a much less layman friendly way.

It just disappeared...that's unfortunate.
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:54 am

Niraya wrote:
Yeah, Princess Anakin instead of Master!

Hmm is your next pup going to be twilight's white knight Edward ? :p
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:55 am

SkylerWest wrote:
Hmm is your next pup going to be twilight a white knight Edward :p

That was a low blow...However, I liked Jacob more. Razz

Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:55 am

Ahsoka's mom is a "princess" too. I'm ok with staying far far away from the word princess... lol

Weird! Chocolate point isn't an option in huskies, is it? I will try to get a better picture of her face/points today when I go home. My flash washes out a lot of color.
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:57 am

goaliechick41 wrote:
Ahsoka's mom is a "princess" too. I'm ok with staying far far away from the word princess... lol

Weird! Chocolate point isn't an option in huskies, is it? I will try to get a better picture of her face/points today when I go home. My flash washes out a lot of color.

Chocolate point husky sounds uniquely odd. Almost almost as odd as the elusive Merle husky. Also don't even get me started on Jacob lol.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 9:01 am

No. Something like that isn't in the breed (at least to my knowledge). "brown" isn't in Siberian Huskies.

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 9:02 am

Niraya wrote:
No. Something like that isn't in the breed (at least to my knowledge). "brown" isn't in Siberian Huskies.

Ani's been called brown by some wretch in petsmart Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 9:03 am

So then is there science behind the "snow nose"? Dexter's nose seems to be going liver-ish as well.
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 am

Oooh, don't even get me started on the damn Nutro rep for our area. He has come up to me twice now and tried to tell me my dogs are mixed breed. I DON'T THINK SO BUDDY! And then tried to get me to buy Nutro.

I have to admit, I was contemplating naming Ahsoka "Ani". Smile
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 am

Are her pads mostly pink/flesh colored/liver? Or are they mostly black? And I mean the number of pads - not like each individual pad being one color or the other. Like - are X number of pads mostly black colored or pink/flesh/liver. If that makes sense.

Her nose appears brown/liver to me and her eye rims are liver.

Last edited by Niraya on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 9:06 am

SkylerWest wrote:
Ani's been called brown by some wretch in petsmart Evil or Very Mad

I read this as "wench" and giggled.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Registered Name!   Need help with Registered Name! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with Registered Name!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next