It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Too much dog park for puppy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

park - Too much dog park for puppy? Empty
PostSubject: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:33 am

I've taken Nikko the past 3 days to the dog park. He regulates himself just fine. I usually stay a little over an hour. I want to take him everyday that I can. Too much for a puppy?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 12:45 pm

Lolol.... Yuki and I probably went for 3-4 hours when she was 4 months old, and we went every day I had off so at least 2 days a week, up to 4 days a week sometimes if I had a morning shift at work. We stay probably more like 2 hours snow since its so freaking cold, and probably back up to 3 once spring hits. I just made sure she was in the shade lots when it was hot, and that she had plenty of fresh water (I brought a water container with ice). She let me know when she was tired, she would set her ears apart a little bit different from normal and come lay beside me, I knew it was time to go. Now I kinda have to force her to go cause I'm freezing my butt off!
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Stark's been going hard... we're usually there about 4 - 5 times a week. When it was starting to get cold, he would want to stay out there for up to four hours. Now I have to bribe him to leave after two hours.

Every puppy is different, as long as you can learn to read the signs that your pup has had enough, I think it should be okay. Smile
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Ok great. I was just worried about over stimulating him. I didn't want to do anything that would put his body at risk later in life or anything like that from going too long at a young age. Thanks everyone! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:29 pm

I think the only thing you have to worry about is running him before a year and walking him too long. Although warning: Your pup may start to develop obsessive dog park disorder: wanting to stay longer than you do!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Just make sure that your puppy is cleared by the vet to go to a dog park. I don't know how old your puppy is, but if he's not up-to-date on all his shots, or hasn't had his full series of puppy shots, he should NOT be going to a public place like a dog-park. Just throwing that out there Smile

park - Too much dog park for puppy? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:46 pm

along with Tori on making sure he has all his shots, are you doing the park to tire him out? while the park is great for that you can wear him out just as much teaching proper leash walking and training, dont forget to get that in to, when he is a yr and dragging you down the street you might think back on how you could have worked on walking on the leash as well. also while at the park work on his recall, if you can get him to stop playing and come back to you it will help in getting him back if he ever gets out!

Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Koda wrote:
Just make sure that your puppy is cleared by the vet to go to a dog park. I don't know how old your puppy is, but if he's not up-to-date on all his shots, or hasn't had his full series of puppy shots, he should NOT be going to a public place like a dog-park. Just throwing that out there Smile

Her age ticker says hes 4 and a half months old. I figured by that age he'd be fine?

Edit* He'd have all his shots and be fine*

Last edited by Mobezilla on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Does he have a rabies vaccine? That would be my only concern! If up to date on shots, I wouldn't worry too much.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Yes Nikko has all his shots. His last round was 2 and a half weeks ago. I do work on leash training as well and I bring chicken jerkey to the park to work on his recall. He did great with it yesterday.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 3:23 pm

Bringing treats to the dog park will make you well liked by all the dogs at the park. lol!

A FYI---- One of our dog park rules is no treats. Razz
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 3:27 pm

Luckily I haven't had any issues with the other dogs. I have them well concealed Smile
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 2:33 am

Oh jeez, now I feel bad! Ezio and I usually go to the dog park once a week. The one my husband and I like is about 15 minutes away and is completely fenced in. And typically we spend like an hour to maybe an hour and a half before Ezio is laying down every few minutes. I take him on daily walks through the week (usually for about an hour) and he's beat. Maybe I just have a lazier husky baby? Razz
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 2:49 am

My dogs go to the dog park once a month if I decide to go to the meet ups... Lol. They much prefer hikes and runs. I'm not a fan of the parks in our area.
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 2:55 am

Heather! wrote:
My dogs go to the dog park once a month if I decide to go to the meet ups... Lol. They much prefer hikes and runs. I'm not a fan of the parks in our area.

Did they always prefer hikes and runs? Ezio just goes crazy over other dogs. All other dogs. Even on walks I need to lead him off to the side of trails so he doesn't try to play with every single dog we encounter. He's still too young for us to go running together, but in a few months I'm going to try that too.

What do they do at the dog park? Are they "meh" about other doggies? I would love to figure out how to get Ezio more neutral toward other dogs, haha.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 3:24 am

I hardly ever take Kale to the dog park anymore. There are so many freaking gopher holes that all he wants to do is dig and guard them from the other dogs. He plays for about 5 mins then goes off sniffing. There's really no point lol so I sometimes take him to my bfs and let him play with his dogs. Lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 3:39 am

I don't like dog parks all that much. It's so hard to find one that is decent sized, has decent dogs with decent owners, and has some grass instead of a dust bowl. Just make sure your baby isn't learning bad behaviors from older dogs at the park. Dog parks are notorious for bad behavior. So long as you know the signs your baby is giving you when he's done, then I suppose its alright.

I really don't think you should be bringing treats into the dog park. I know that if I was a fellow owner, I wouldn't be too happy about it. Treats can cause major fights to break out. While you may have them concealed for now, the minute one other dog realizes you have treats..bad news bears. I must also ask what brand of jerky do you have? I really think you should stay away from any and all chicken jerky unless you make it yourself.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 4:22 am

I got pretty lucky with my dog park. For the most part, all of the owners are very responsible and all the dogs are pretty well behaved. This has alot to do with how much I go to the park, about 2-3 times a week. So as long as you're comfortable at your park and with everyone there, I don't see the problem with going there oftenly. Only red flag I can forsee is just keeping an eye on him around bigger dogs.

However, I have read somewhere, can't remember where though, that using a dog park as a replacement for daily exercise isn't the best idea. I can see where the logic comes from; walks help give your dog a sense of purpose and working whereas the park is seen as a play area.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 4:27 am

itsjosieb wrote:
Heather! wrote:

Did they always prefer hikes and runs? Ezio just goes crazy over other dogs. All other dogs. Even on walks I need to lead him off to the side of trails so he doesn't try to play with every single dog we encounter. He's still too young for us to go running together, but in a few months I'm going to try that too.

What do they do at the dog park? Are they "meh" about other doggies? I would love to figure out how to get Ezio more neutral toward other dogs, haha.

Neither of my dogs were ever overreactive with other dogs really, manners got addressed first and foremost when they were pups- they never got to meet and greet any person or dog unless sitting patiently from day one and if they were rude, they lost their chance at interaction. They like other dogs but know bad manners = I don't get to say hi. Koda prefers to explore and greet people, Rogue both plays and explores at the park. It really depends on the dogs present.
Mine have always preferred walks/runs and hikes. It's more stimulating to them and they love exploring new areas. They like other dogs, but unless I am meeting up with people I know my dogs will be interested in, it's not worth it to me, especially with all the risks. I went more back in AZ when it was a social thing for me. People aren't as friendly here nor are most dogs I meet fixed or trained, soooo... Not going to set my dogs up for a bad time, haha.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 am

Starting pretty quickly once they were vaccinated, all my dogs were immediatly introduced to the ever changing and stimulating environment of dog parks, friends yards, hikes, walks, camping, etc. I try to do SOMETHING with my dogs for 2 hours of every single day, and always have.

I think its very good for the dogs to learn to be comfortable with changes from a young age.

I also think you should definitely balance dog park time with leash manners time, and some sit and greets in places with frequent passers-by and dogs. Early practice goes a long way, and is great positive stimulation for your dog.

I believe the most important thing for both the dog and human is the walk.
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:06 am

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
I must also ask what brand of jerky do you have? I really think you should stay away from any and all chicken jerky unless you make it yourself.

It's from best bully sticks. Chicken is the only ingredient in it. Made in USA. I'm very picky about treats I give him and these seem good.

http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/page_16635_11/chicken_jerky_-_made_in_the_usa.html
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Our dog park is pretty nice. It's very grassy, they have a decent drainage system, and most dogs are well behaved. When we encounter the rare idiot owner, I just leave. Some people complain but I say its not that hard just to leash your dog and go if someone else and their dog makes you uncomfortable and come back another time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Too much dog park for puppy?   park - Too much dog park for puppy? Empty

Back to top Go down

Too much dog park for puppy?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1