It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

When did your husky first try to escape?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
frontz
Newborn
Newborn
frontz

Female Join date : 2012-12-18

When did your husky first try to escape? Empty
PostSubject: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 1:40 am

Just curious if yours attempt it early or if it's something they grow into. Roo has not tried to escape the backyard and she won't go out the front/ garage door unless given permission. Hopefully, she never tries to escape, but she's only 6 months old.

My old Husky-Shep Mix was always off-lease so never needed to worry about it.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 1:43 am

Never. He has never tried to bolt either. Hopeful it never happens silent He's almost 3 years.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
frontz
Newborn
Newborn
frontz

Female Join date : 2012-12-18

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 1:44 am

fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
Working Huskies
Newborn
Newborn
Working Huskies

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 2:04 am

No,As I've never had husky.

Though,when I was child I lived on farm,we had sheepdogs,many of which had tendency to wander.
Back to top Go down
agacke
Newborn
Newborn
agacke

Male Join date : 2012-12-30

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 2:23 am

Mine did all the time! That is why he was surrendered to the shelter that I picked him up at. His previous owners could not afford the fees to keep getting him back! Since I got him though, he has had a few unplanned off leash adventures, but he never runs anymore. I think if you create a good environment for them, they may want to explore but won't go far!
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

Male Join date : 2012-12-19

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 2:31 am

Day three of having him, he made a break for the trees.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 2:34 am

My Sheba lost her off leash privileges around 4 months of age. She stopped listening and decided to make a run for it every chance she got.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 4:34 am

At 4 weeks Enya was already climbing the x-pen wooing ready to bust out. LOL little she devil I knew she was going to be a handful, it was at 10 weeks once her and her sister were home with us her sissy decided to take her turn at climbing x-pen walls. Denali tried to take himself on a walk when I stopped for fuel once. The rest we've been lucky with
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

Male Join date : 2012-12-19

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 4:55 am

HuskyMom09 wrote:
Denali tried to take himself on a walk when I stopped for fuel once. The rest we've been lucky with

Lol, after he made his break for the trees, he made a dash down the sidewalk later that day. Needless to say he has been on leash when outside ever since. I can tell this guy will be fast. He nearly out runs me at two months, and I'm not exactly slow.
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 1:18 pm

Saphire's first attempt was at about 5 months or so. She jumped up on the front screen door and hit the latch just right and she was off. Thankfully, I had treats nearby and so she didn't even make it out of our little cul de sac.

Now we have to watch the front door like a hawk and make sure that our guests understand this too. (Olivia's friend was over this weekend and left the front door open while she ran out to get something from her mom's car and Saphire seized the opportunity. But came back as soon as the little girl ran into the house thankfully. She loves her kids.)
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 1:28 pm

Bode had a couple early on and then one recently. The first one he squeezed out the little gap between the fence and the house at around 4 months. He didn't run away though, he just came to the front door. He's too big to get through there anymore. The other time the idiot who was redoing our roof shut the gate but didn't latch it and my aunt's dog who was visiting pushed it open and bolted and Bode followed her. He came back right away, she was a handful to wrangle up. He was around 3-4 months I think.

He decided to take himself for a run the other day. No clue how he got out of the yard. We think he got through a little hole in the fencing. Luckily our neighbor brought him back! I hadn't even realized he was gone. He is no longer allowed out in the yard for more than a couple minutes without supervision.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 1:37 pm

Neither of my dogs have ever tried to get out of our yard, or bolt doors. If there is a way to get out that is wide and open and the opportunity has been presented for an extended period of time, I'm sure they'd give into curiosity and explore, though.
When Koda's gotten out, it was due to someone leaving something open unknowingly and it being open longer than a few minutes.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 pm

Bode doesn't try to bolt out doors thankfully. That's a big thing that we worked on training with him from day one: He is always has to sit before going through a door. Sometimes he gets a little too excited and forgets that rule, but it works well for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Hayden discovered the hole in our fence and decided to check it out and headed straight for the highway (total heart attack). Thankfully, he ran past me and I grabbed his tail and was able to leash him up. I was so mad I was crying and watch him like a hawk ALL the time!
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 1:55 pm

Never. We only have a 54 inch fence and have cinder block planters next to it and he's hopped in there a few times where his head is almost level with the top of the fence, but he's never attempted to jump over. Sometimes I wonder if he knows he's a husky lol!

Long story, but he's only gotten out once in the backyard and didn't even get very far. I yelled his name, he stopped and came trotting back. I'll count myself lucky on that one!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 2:01 pm

Blaze got out of the yard shortly after we got him a couple of times one time it was over 100's our and my husband went running the street after him barefooted need I say he doesn't do that again he had blusters all over his feet. Kerian has only got out once when I left the gate open while I was mowing the yard. Her and Blaze took a walk down the street I ran out the front door calling them they came from the neighbors house. We believe Kerian got Blaze to come back.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 3:43 pm

My sibe is 7.5 years old and he's NEVER tried to escape.

That's not to say that he hasn't gotten loose. He's gotten out of the house twice (just wanting to go outside, not making a break for freedom) and both times hung around and came back inside when called. He's also gotten loose while out walking when the lead has been dropped several times, and each time he has listened and stayed put while we calmly retrieve his lead.

Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 5:44 pm

My girls have never tried to escape the yard, but if the gate is left open they'll leave. They don't have access to the front door but they will try to get around anyone other then me to get out the back door and play outside.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 1:11 am

Karli got out a couple days after we brought her home (she was 2 months old) we had put her outside to play and she had tried to scratch at the door to be let in. When that didn't work, she slipped through the space between the gate and fence (crummy base fences) and trotted around to the front door to be let in. The only other time she got loose, we were in the Outback parking lot, I'd gone out to check on her and she bolted out the door. I was crying by the time I caught her (I used her bully stick to get her) but she never left the parking lot, she just wanted me to chase her. Mad
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:58 am

Chili - never. Frosti - within 15 minutes of getting home! She was owner surrendered twice for the same thing.

It's not tied to them being comfortable or being in a good home, many huskies have tendencies to run away. However, in Frosti's case it was tied to separation anxiety (isolation distress) - she would get anxious if not with a human at all times. Didn't matter who it was, just a human. Over time, we've trained her to stay alone at home without one, first in a crate and now she has won the privilege to roam free about the house. However, all doors, gates and fences are secured because she's still a runner at heart!
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:40 pm

About a month after we got Bella she realized she could slip her collar. We used to leave her harness on her all the time and then for some reason she started chewing them off, we went through four of them and between the fourth and fifth one we had to walk her with a collar and slipped the collar and ran about. She never left the yard of our apartment building. Then there was the time my ex tried to run her off but she came back to me the second I was outside so that went ok too. Sometimes I think she might be ok off leash but I would be too concerned all the time to even try it.
Back to top Go down
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Sky - Never, however her first stint at the animal shelter was because she escaped.

Carter - He was surrendered to the shelter for digging under fences. He did bolt into the wooded area behind my complex when he timed his pull perfectly with my regrip of his leash. Luckily he just went back there to poop so I caught up to him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When did your husky first try to escape?   When did your husky first try to escape? Empty

Back to top Go down

When did your husky first try to escape?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1