It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Preferred Treats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

treats - Preferred Treats Empty
PostSubject: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 12:11 pm

I am in need of a good yet not expensive treat to use during training. Do any of you have suggestions that your guys and gals prefer?
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Zuke's has training treats. About $5 for the bag and there's a good amount of them. There's also dried lamb lung that I use which is great. About $12 for the bag but there's a lot. I can't remember the brand off hand.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 12:22 pm

I second the Zuke's Minis treats. They're small enough to use as training treats. I also cut them in half for longer training sessions and they still were fine.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 12:27 pm

I use a food roll or chicken. The bigger food rolls last me weeks - I think they're like 8 dollars and I cut them up into really tiny pieces - throw in ziplock bag and place in refrigerator.

I also use chicken that you'd buy at the store like the purdue grilled strips (the ones I would normally put in a salad). They're like $6 and they last awhile. Cut them up and refrigerate. Good to go.

treats - Preferred Treats Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm going to 3rd Zuke's training treats as well. Kingsley didn't warm up to them until after spending a few days with us (he was still adjusting to his new home). I feed him the chicken recipe as the peanut butter recipe gives him AWFUL gas and runny poop
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 1:05 pm

I use kibble and mix it with zukes and whatever other random treats I have in the cabinet. Cost effective and for the repetitive stuff they don't care if its just kibble. I also withhold good before a session so there's that drive on top of it.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 1:09 pm

What I found worked best was Bill-Jack's chicken liver treats. The smell horrible so they are perfect for getting your pup to do whatever you want him to!

I also used the Stewart brand freeze dried beef liver, and Pet Botanics training treats. I always mixed it up so they did not get bored
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 3:05 pm

Zukes training treats are great. I also love the Natural Balance meat rolls for training, I buy the big 4 lb roll and cut it up into small pieces and use them for training. The dogs go nuts for them.

Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 3:19 pm

Hot dogs, Bella goes nuts for them and she doesn't care that they're a cheap brand one bit.
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 3:49 pm

We started using training treats, but they are so expensive. We switched to cheerios and cut up pieces of string cheese.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 3:51 pm

I used Pet Botanics Mini Training Reward Bacon Dog Treats! and the Beef flavored...Both dogs loved em. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 4:42 pm

I make my own chicken jerky and string cheese cut in to small pieces works.. I also buy Merrick sausage for special treats.. I have determine I need to give my dog a bed time snack Kerian throws up the morning if she has a empty stomach too long.

I have several recipes for treats.. I believe in making them if I can then I know what is in them.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 6:39 pm

I also recommend Zukes. I use different treats for different reasons. I also really like Three Dog Bakery training treats. Those are crunchy treats though, so I put those into our Kongs and such. Our high value treats around here are Mini YumZies!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 7:40 pm

I like the food rolls also, as well as boiled chicken. Both are easy to cut into little pieces and last quite a while and the dogs really enjoy them as treats.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 1:56 am

Lucian works for his kibble, and carrots, lol. He gets the runs from just about anything else.
Back to top Go down
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

Female Join date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 3:36 am

We bought pup-peroni, blue buffalo treats and some dried chicken liver. Alki is absolutely in love with the pup-peroni. We just pull off tiny pieces and use those.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 5:19 am

PLEASE don't feed puperoni!!! Del Monte does NOT care about your dog's health! They only care about the money in your wallet! These treats are made with awful ingredients that have no nutritional value what so ever.

This isn't the best link, but it breaks down the ingredients one by one and why these treats are crap.

http://holistipet.blogspot.com/2011/04/why-pup-peroni-should-require-warning.html

This is a better link.

http://www.pasadosafehaven.org/2012/02/killing-me-softly-the-truth-behind-pet-treat-labels/
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

Female Join date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 6:01 am

He loves them. We've tried different treats and he turns his nose up. I feel like a treat is just that. It's not a source of nutrition. I think of it as the same with us. I eat cake as a treat, not a source of nutrition. I'll definitely look into better options though. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize his health. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 6:08 am

Yeah..my grandpa sends me tons of pup peroni, I just toss them (as much as I don't want him to support Del Monte, I can't tell him not to send them, he'd feel bad.)
Korra will work for boiled chicken, kibble, string cheese, romaine..leaves.. blades of grass..pretty much anything. For processed treats, she really loves Zukes and Pet Botanics, any flavor (as you can tell- not a picky eater lol). If he likes pup peroni, he'll probably like the Zukes and Pet Botanics training minis. They're like pup peroni but better ingredients and you don't have to break them up Smile

Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 11:59 am

I haven't fed Zukes before although I have looked into it. I feed a variety of treats for different things. For my main training ones I have used Charlee Bear treats. Other treats that I feed for various reasons (just because, recall, walking etc.) are Nutro Crunchy Treats (apple and peanut flavours), Rollover mini bites, Pupcorn, milkbone medium size bones, Blue Buffalo treats.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 3:30 pm

Baby Carrots....my two love baby carrotts!! Smile
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 5:57 pm

Iluvmyhuskies wrote:
Baby Carrots....my two love baby carrotts!! Smile

Same here! My dogs bascially got only get baby carrots as treats. OMG, they love them! I have to spell C-A-R-R-O-T or they go insane..haha. That or Fruitables.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Oh yes I think they'd much rather prefer carrots over meat flavored treats anytime! I love it....it's cheap too!! Smile
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 6:42 pm

I have one that will not eat carrots Blaze now Kerian will eat just about anything... I keep trying with the carrots to get him to eat them. I also try apples pieces with him.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 6:48 pm

Mine also love apple slices. Karma took a little bit longer to get used to carrots.
Kato eats em in a heartbeat, and now that she figured out if she doesn't eat hers fast enough he will snatch em from her...she runs away with hers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Treats   treats - Preferred Treats Empty

Back to top Go down

Preferred Treats

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next