It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Alki growled!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

Female Join date : 2013-01-19

Alki growled! Empty
PostSubject: Alki growled!   Alki growled! EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 10:42 pm

As some of you know, Alki is very shy. When we first brought him home, he hid in the kitchen and jumped at our every move. By the next day, he was fine and quickly bonded with us. I brought him to my parents house on Friday and he was very shy around them. He started warming up to my mom a little but really hasn't become comfortable with any of my family. He runs over to us and hides...even after 3 days with them. That's not the part that worries me though. My cousins daughter (who's 10 and very gentle) walked slowly towards him, hand outstretched and talking nicely too him. Alki growled at her and backed up into a corner. I'm so worried he won't outgrow this. I don't want to take him to tw park and have him growling at strangers!
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

Alki growled! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alki growled!   Alki growled! EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 10:59 pm

If she was making direct eye contact he may have seen it as a threat. He's still adjusting I'm sure. Reinforce good behavior is really the best advice I can give.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

Alki growled! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alki growled!   Alki growled! EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 11:37 pm

Having her come bearing gifts ( treats) next time could help too
Back to top Go down
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

Female Join date : 2013-01-19

Alki growled! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alki growled!   Alki growled! EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 11:39 pm

She wasn't. Sad He always bows his head down when someone comes walking towards him (unless it's me or Caitlyn). That's a good idea! I'll definitely try it. It's just so weird. Most puppies just run up to anyone and act happy and excited.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Alki growled! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alki growled!   Alki growled! EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 2:17 am

Instead of having your cousin approach, have Alki approach. It'll help gain confidence.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Alki growled! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alki growled!   Alki growled! EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 3:01 am

CatDen wrote:
She wasn't. Sad He always bows his head down when someone comes walking towards him (unless it's me or Caitlyn). That's a good idea! I'll definitely try it. It's just so weird. Most puppies just run up to anyone and act happy and excited.
It doesn't sound like his breeder did a very good job of socializing him (some puppies are naturally shy, but the majority of the time when they are that shy, that young, it's a product of their upbringing). That means you and Caitlyn will have to work extra hard to make sure he is. The treats is what I would suggest as well. Don't have people approach him. While they are standing and talking to you, they should lightly toss treats in his direction. When he is comfortable enough to approach, then they can crouch down to his level and hand him a treat and praise him.

Alki growled! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alki growled! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alki growled!   Alki growled! Empty

Back to top Go down

Alki growled!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1