It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Collar on or off?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

collar - Collar on or off? Empty
PostSubject: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 12:41 pm

When your dogs are in the house with you do you keep a collar on them or let them go collar free while in the house? My sister's Pit always has one on while my mom keeps her Cocker Spaniel and Lab's on their leashes.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Lucian's is always on. I would take it off at night when we first got him, cause even the small collar was too big for his little neck, lol.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 1:15 pm

I leave mine on all the time.. I feel it is safer just in case they escape out the front door when someone come in or out.. With them having their collars it would be easier to catch them and if someone finds them they can find us.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 1:20 pm

My chi girls never wear their collars unless we go out for a walk or travel, I don't put their collars on because they're not a flight risk.

Dakota wears his collar during the day just in case he ever gets out. I take it off every night though, I hate being woken by jiggling tags in the middle of the night if the dogs suddenly get an itch or decide to do a whole body shake.

Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 pm

The only time their collars come off is when they get a bath. Then afterwards they go right back on.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 1:49 pm

Panzer and Dayzee wear their collar and tags at all times. They actively run away, and are proven flight risks.

Soshanna, Mixie, Locca, and Lucy all go without. They don't look at the front door like a forbidden freedom gate.

Oddly enough, the only time Panzer ever got away from me, she ran 2.2 miles straight home..

Soshanna escaped once, as a 7 month puppy, without tags on, trying to fiind my car, because I left her at home. She was gone 3 days, until her brothers owner found her and nearly crashed his car stopping to get her. She hasn't wanted to run away since.

Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 2:09 pm

I remove the girls collars most days.

Ripley doesn't have Husky fur really. It's like a perfect mix of Chow and Husky fur and she is a bit oily like chows tend to be.

Because of this strange mix her fur dries out by her collar if I leave it on. It almost makes it feel dirty or dead if left on too long.

Tika's I just take off because she likes being naked. I keep telling her it isn't polite to go naked when company is over and to put her collar back on but she likes to show off.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Mine keeps hers on- it jingles. And when it doesn't I know she's up to no good. She also just has puppy fuzz. Not sure if she'll keep it on when she's all grown up.

Tika wrote:

Tika's I just take off because she likes being naked. I keep telling her it isn't polite to go naked when company is over and to put her collar back on but she likes to show off.
lol!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 2:22 pm

Tika wrote:
I remove the girls collars most days.

~Chris~

lol!

John tells them they have to get dress before we can take them for a walk he is talking about the leashes and the EZ walk harness we use for walks.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Dot wrote:
Mine keeps hers on- it jingles. And when it doesn't I know she's up to no good. She also just has puppy fuzz. Not sure if she'll keep it on when she's all grown up.

Tika wrote:

lol!

Same with Lucian. I like to know where he is, and what he's up too. Suspect

Lol @ Chris.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 2:55 pm

I only take Saber's off when he's getting brushed. I've seen escaped dogs (various breeds) in my neighborhood with no collars. The owners chasing them can only grab their skin/fur since they don't have collars on.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 6:36 pm

My dogs always have their collar and tags on, just in case. Well the aussie wouldn't go far but I wouldn't like to think of Ghost suddenly running out the door. It's really hard trying to catch a dog with no collar - nothing to grab hold of. (Mind you if it's a dog you don't know too well, you have to be careful grabbing a collar - some dogs really don't like it).
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:14 pm

Slip leads are good for catching a collar-less loose dog if it ever happens. My sibe slipped his harness and collar last week so I used a slip lead to secure him when I finally caught up with him. Even if one doesn't have a slip lead you could make a normal lead into one by sending the clip through the handle loop and slipping it over the dogs head.

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 pm

We took Appas off when in the house almost everyday to prevent his fur from matting down. Ever since I made a rolled leather collar it hasn't been an issue. His fur stays nice and fluffed. We will still take it off occasionally. I like how his neck looks without a collar.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:34 pm

rileyflorence wrote:
I like how his neck looks without a collar.

Here here. When keeonah is standing in a perfect alert stack in the backyard. She has the PERFECT husky physique. So gorgeous. The neckline is thick and flowing and gorgeous. Keeonah just looks a little goofy with her collar seperating her head from her body. She is just a lil too fluffy I guess:P

She only ever wears the collar if we are going out. In fact. If I grab her collar she gets all bouncy and excited and leans into me waiting for me to get it adjusted right so we can leave. too cute.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:39 pm

I would like to keep Bode's collar off in the house, but he hates when we take his "necklace" away. Plus I don't like putting it on and off to let him out in the yard, and he is never in the yard without it.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:53 pm

I keep my girls' collars off inside usually all the time. I live in a basement apartment, so they have zero chance of escape. I have heard of owners who put "breakaway" collars on their dogs so that if they did get out, they have less of a chance of strangling themselves. I have looked into that option, but I haven't decided one way or another yet.

My girls also know that as soon as I go for the collars and leashes, we are leaving and they jump around and Sheba yells at me if I go too slow for her Rolling Eyes . Silly huskies.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:55 pm

MGoBlue wrote:
I would like to keep Bode's collar off in the house, but he hates when we take his "necklace" away. Plus I don't like putting it on and off to let him out in the yard, and he is never in the yard without it.

Maybe I should make reference to th efact that my backyard is fully fenced 6 ft high with a foot of chicken wiring underneath to prevent digging. Dont want anyone getting the wrong idea Wink
Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Male Join date : 2013-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:41 am

on Zoë my husky mix i keep the collar on here all the time, but with Maya i take her's off when she is in the kennel. the reason i take her's off is it's a little big on her right now and she has gotten it stuck in her mouth twice, so i don't want that to happen when i'm not home to get it unstuck.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:16 am

This has become Bob's call. He chooses to leave Sabaka's off most of the time. He does look better without it even though his "going out in public" collar is a pretty rolled leather one. We snap on a nylon one for going to the potty in the yard and sometimes for walks. Bob often walks him in just his harness. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:46 pm

For the most part we leave Qanniks collar on all the time, however my husband has this thing about taking it off so he can feel more free. When we walk him (in which we use a harness), my husband likes to take the collar off so other people can see how beautiful and fluffy the fur around his neck is.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Bodhi's collar is always on.
The only time I take it off is when I bathe him.

A limited slip collar will not impede hair growth around the dogs's neck like a tight, fixed dimension collar will.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:39 pm

Ghost wrote:
My dogs always have their collar and tags on, just in case. Well the aussie wouldn't go far but I wouldn't like to think of Ghost suddenly running out the door..

I wrote that yesterday, and guess what happened this afternoon? Ghost bolted out the back door and was gone for half an hour. A neighbour found him in his yard and was able to grab his collar and bring him home. I'm so relieved, and so grateful to my neighbours for helping search for him!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collar on or off?   collar - Collar on or off? Empty

Back to top Go down

Collar on or off?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1