It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

13 week old puppy growling and barking back

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

13 week old puppy growling and barking back  Empty
PostSubject: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 3:18 pm

So, we have been doing our best to train Kingsley consistently and patiently. He's been doing great up until last week or so.

We've been successful in teaching several obedience commands, but now, all of a sudden, he's barking back at us when we say NO or DOWN when he's biting, jumping, or grabbing things he's not supposed to. Before he would immediately stop whatever it was he was doing and sit. Now though, he's stopping, but barking back at us like a low "F!@k you!".

Even on our walks, he's started to bite at the leash. I'll very quickly jerk it out of his mouth and say "NO BITE!" then he'll start to growl at me. What the crap?

When he starts to get like this, we'll put him in time out for about 5 minutes, and then he quickly forgets his bad mood. But it's starting to become commonplace with him to talk back to us.

Its awkward because we've always made our training sessions a positive experience for him, providing happy excited voices, petting, and yummy treats.

Is this common with other husky pups? Does it ever end? Do you have any advice to deter this crappy attitude?

Help! My dog is an asshole!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 4:02 pm

Sophie sassed me all the time when she was a puppy, that's why she only knows sit, lay down, leave it, and come so far...

Kay does this when she gets frustrated with training or when my family yells at her for jumping on them. Also she does it when she wants something.

Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Balon always talks back, but I don't think he does it meanly, he just likes to do this low growly sounding "talk" when he wants something. It's actually funny to hear....
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:58 pm

Sheba talks back as well. A LOT! When she starts to take it a little too far, I correct her. If she is doing her low grumbly thing and tries to bite me, that isn't okay. If she is just howling and making her other silly noises at me, then that is perfectly acceptable. But hey, huskies talk. That just comes with the breed. I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the leash thing, Kennedy had a REALLY big problem with that when I first adopted her from the shelter. I thought it was cute until I realized that she was trying to chew through the leash, not "walking" herself like I though. Nip that in that butt!! Just correct him and he'll learn that's not okay.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Kiba doesn't bite but when she's frustrated with me she will chomp the air lol. She talks a TON. Especially when she wants to get her way. Seems normal. If I don't like the particular behavior I ignore it
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 11:08 pm

Don't worry, your puppy is normal Smile

Huskies are very intelligent and have a sassy independent streak running very deep inside them. The more your force back, raise your voice, and just generally become frustrated, the more they enjoy it. For me the easiest and most effective has been isolation and ignoring them. If they're chewing on the leash take it out of their mouth, they'll probably dive bomb it to get to it but just keep calmly taking it away being as boring as possible. They hate boring.

What you don't want is to keep repeating and repeating yourself because then you just become white noise.

What your going through is normal, don't worry Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Thanks, guys.

One thing is true. A tired husky is a well-behaved husky.

Since Kingsley is 3 months old now, my husband started taking him on 1 mile walks/runs. One in the morning and one in the evening. They finish in about 15 minutes. He comes home and is the best behaved puppy in the world.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:50 am

You shouldn't run him yet, at least on concrete. Romping around on grass is fine, but structured runs on hard surfaces before a year can really damage their joints.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

13 week old puppy growling and barking back  85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:03 am

I have to agree, especially that young. You should consult with your vet before running a young puppy. In my opinion, you should just stick to walks this early. Like stated above, playing chase in the yard is okay, but forced runs aren't usually recommended for young puppies.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:08 am

DanielleCortez wrote:
We've been successful in teaching several obedience commands, but now, all of a sudden, he's barking back at us when we say NO or DOWN when he's biting, jumping, or grabbing things he's not supposed to. Before he would immediately stop whatever it was he was doing and sit. Now though, he's stopping, but barking back at us like a low "F!@k you!".

Kristina has a good point, boring is the way to go sometimes! Mine was doing this with "off," she was enjoying testing her limits, especially in the kitchen. She'd either just inch down a little, or jump off and bark and do it again 2 feet away.... Now in our house, she's not allowed in the kitchen at all, but it's a bit more difficult to do that in my parents'.
A reccomendation from a friend was to just push her off gently without acknowledging her at all, no speaking, looking, etc. She stopped after just a bit of this, because we weren't making keep-off-the-counters an interesting game anymore. Plus, since she's not tall enough to grab anything, the behavior isn't self-rewarding. Yet. Good time to nip it in the bud I guess.

DanielleCortez wrote:
Help! My dog is an asshole!
I believe this holds true of all puppies.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:23 am

blueeyedghost wrote:
You shouldn't run him yet, at least on concrete. Romping around on grass is fine, but structured runs on hard surfaces before a year can really damage their joints.

But I've read on this forum that they can handle 5 minutes per month of age. He's 3 months, so 15 minutes run/walks are ok. Am I misinformed?
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:27 am

It's not the distance per say, it's the forced running for that distance. Forced exercise means that the pup is doing something he wouldn't normally be doing at his age. Concrete is already an unfavorable surface to be running on, but most of us really don't have a choice. But at such a young age, running on concrete can be really detrimental to his growing plates. Ideally, you should probably stick to the 15 minutes walks and leave running for playing time, at least until he's older.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:35 am

Right, but like I said, it's 15 minutes of combined running (light jogging really) AND walking. And we don't take him on concrete or pavement, it's a trail, so it's not as hard as concrete or pavement. It's not forced running or forced exercising, he enjoys it and is eager.

Am I to understand that I shouldn't take him on 15 minutes of combined walk/runs at all until he is over a year old?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:43 am

Dogs don't always realize that they're hurting themselves or working too hard, so he may enjoy it even though it is possibly damaging his joints. If he's just romping around he can stop whenever he wants, but even if you're combining the walking and running he may wind up running more than his body can handle. The big issue on this one is the possibility of damaging the growth plates, and damage isn't always readily apparent. I would avoid the walk/runs altogether for the time being, and then maybe start very slowly start working into it around the 10-ish month timeframe.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

13 week old puppy growling and barking back  85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:47 am

Oh man, now I feel like the a-hole. I swear I've read something about 5 minutes per month of age, I thought I was ON TOP OF IT!

This blows. I'm a bad furmom.

But, I have a 30ft leash attached to one of those ground cork screw things. Is it ok for me to tie him to that and play around outside with him? Like fetch, letting him explore, etc.
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:01 am

Yep because then it's not structured, it's just him playing. Five minutts of structured walking per month, no running to a year at least on lead.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:06 am

Oh no, no noo!! You aren't a bad furmommy!! You ARE right on the 15 minutes! It's just the running/jogging or what have you, that isn't okay. 15 minutes of walking is perfectly acceptable! You just don't want to push your baby, because no matter what you ask of him, he will do it. He wouldn't stop if he was hurting because he wants to please you!

As far as the leash, yes that is perfectly acceptable. I have a tie out for both my girls. It's a life safer for those of us who aren't lucky enough to not have fenced in yards. Kennedy knows how far she can go out before being whipped back, but Sheba has absolutely NOO idea. I had to put a shock absorber in it and she wears a harness while she's out there.
Back to top Go down
eluke81
Puppy
Puppy
eluke81

Female Join date : 2012-12-25

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:31 am

As far as the tie out goes, I recommend using a harness when using the tie out. That way - if they get to the end of the line, they dont break their necks while whipping back....... the tie out attaches to the loop on their back - on top of the harness......

just my $.02
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 12:10 pm

I have a harness for him but he's just a TAD too small for it! I've been wanting him to use it for a few weeks now, though I know he's growing like a weed. I think I'm just gonna spend the $20 anyway. I'll donate it to the SPCA when he grows out of it in a couple weeks.
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Are those corkscrew tie outs good? I'd like to get something like that for Bella but my uncle's husky was such a beast I'm concerned. He literally uprooted an old school clothes line post that was buried five feet in the ground.
Back to top Go down
bttlsgtmajor
Puppy
Puppy
bttlsgtmajor

Male Join date : 2013-01-24

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks for the post. I was actually wondering about that myself. Nanook is about the same age and doing the same stuff. I'll have to try the "boring" approach to see how that goes.
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:04 pm

When we first got Q our vet told us not to run Q until he was a year, but that we could start walking him immediately, and that he would tell us when he was finished. We didn't walk him based on the 5 minute per month rule. We could always tell when he was tiring and ready to stop. In the early days, we didn't go far, but sometimes we just carried him home if he was too pooped out. We use a 30 foot tie out in our yard too. We have it secured to a cinderblock and fortunately for us, Q is very happy to just putter around and lay in the grass. Even when other dogs and people walk by the house (whom he can see from our back yard), he just sits there and watches them go by. He makes no attempt to chase any of them.

Also, after a year of trying to figure out what works and doesn't work, we've recently realized the less attention we bring to his bad behavior the better. Basically, ignoring him really does work. Obviously, there are certain behaviors where we have to redirect his attention, but generally speaking, I try not to make a big deal of things I don't want him to do, because the more attention I bring to the situation, the more he wants to do it, and the more intent he is. He's super smart, and really knows how to manipulate.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:14 pm

It's funny because after I made this post yesterday and got suggestions, I tried out the completely ignoring him thing once he got attitude-y. We usually hang out on the living room floor with something on the TV. When he started to get argumentative, I would just stop giving him attention. I would get off the floor, sit on the couch with my legs up. I wouldn't even make eye contact. He immediately switched from his low growling/back talking to a quieter howl that sounded more like a request for my attention. I would ask him to sit, then move to a down position from where I was sitting and make him wait quietly for a bit (about 20 seconds) before I moved back down the floor.

Worked like a charm.

Way to go, forum. Way to go.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Nice! Glad you found something that works with him Smile

Sorry if I made you feel like an a-hole last night, wasn't my intention, just trying to educate. This is why I shouldn't post when I can barely keep my eyes open Razz I promise, you aren't a bad fur-mom, we made the same mistake with Ghost too. We just backed off a bit and then started back in when she was around a year.

Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Lol, Meredith, it wasn't YOU who made me feel like an a-hole, it was just me feeling bad for not being as thorough as I thought I was. We'd only taken him on those walk/runs for about a week or so, so I didn't feel too bad about any possible long term damage.

I only want what's best for the pup, so I strive to go above and beyond when it comes to him (even if my friends think I'm crazy for setting an alarm every 3 hours in the middle of the night to take him out).

Educate on!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 13 week old puppy growling and barking back    13 week old puppy growling and barking back  Empty

Back to top Go down

13 week old puppy growling and barking back

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next