It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

AKC Registration- worth it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

AKC Registration- worth it? Empty
PostSubject: AKC Registration- worth it?   AKC Registration- worth it? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:04 pm

So ive been pondering AKC registration and if its worth. Anyone care to share their views on what the pros of it may be?

A little back story- Right now i don't know that it matters for us because she's just a companion and will be spayed. Obviously we don't plan to show her either. Her parents are registered (although they are racing/working dogs) and the breeder gave me all the paperwork way back when we got her in October but i haven't done a thing with it since then. I believe we would do "limited" registration in her case? I'm pretty ignorant as far as the AKC goes and i am just curious to hear why or why not registration is a good thing. (we are leaning towards not registering her)
Back to top Go down
GalacticPup
Puppy
Puppy
GalacticPup

Female Join date : 2012-08-24

PostSubject: Re: AKC Registration- worth it?   AKC Registration- worth it? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Registering on a limited basis would be beneficial if you ever decide to compete in obedience, agility, other canine sports, etc. Otherwise, there's really no need. With a limited registration, she cannot be shown in conformation classes, must be spayed, and therefore cannot be bred. I guess for some it's nice to just have the "papers", but in reality if you aren't going to show in obedience trials, or any other AKC sanctioned activities/ spots/ competitions, you don't need to register her.
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: AKC Registration- worth it?   AKC Registration- worth it? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 1:03 pm

I registered Saphire even though we are in the same situation you are in. I looked into it and I didn't think it was that expensive so I just went ahead and did it. That being said, now her papers are just taking up room in my filing cabinet. I have never needed them for anything. They do however register their microchip numbers if they are microchipped and that might provide some help if they were ever lost.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: AKC Registration- worth it?   AKC Registration- worth it? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 1:50 pm

oh i didn't know about the micro-chipping thing. Well i think it would be a blast to do agility and obedience but I'm not sure its realistic. There's one place locally (that i know of) which does training for these kind of trials but I have no idea what it entails . If its like conformation, i probably couldn't afford to get into it anyways- although it looks like fun.

Short term my goals are just to get basic obedience down. Long term maybe pass the Canine Good citizen Test and see if being a Therapy dog is an option. You are right its not expensive to do registration, if I'm honest i am kind of a penny pincher though : ).

Thanks for the feedback. Like i said, I don't know a lot about this particular subject.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: AKC Registration- worth it?   AKC Registration- worth it? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 2:37 pm

I went through the same thing when we got our first Siberian. I had thought about doing obedience with him, since he was not show quality....never did and like Dena said above, his paperwork ended up just taking up room in my filing cabinet. Same with our second. Who would have guessed 8 years later, with them in their older years, I'd have them running on my sled team and since they are registered as are the other dogs on my team we qualify for the purebred classes- You never know what the future may hold I guess Smile Plus the benefits of the microchip registration is nice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: AKC Registration- worth it?   AKC Registration- worth it? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 pm

I went ahead and registered both of mine. It is not a huge deal unless you plan on competing like the others said. Otherwise it is just another certificate. I used a different microchip company, called Pet Key. It came free with Nikko, who is ACA registered but I had to pay for Yukon's, but you can use any micochip registry, and they don't have to be AKC registered.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: AKC Registration- worth it?   AKC Registration- worth it? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 1:14 pm

i think the micro-chip reason is the best one for me to consider it. Is it a different kind of chip thats linked with the akc registry? I hope that question makes sense.

See i always thought that microchipping was just a simple : insert chip, here's the number for it and website to register your info. So i guess what I'm asking is if having it also linked to the akc registry is just an alternate way to use the same micro-chip or if its something completely separate.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: AKC Registration- worth it?   AKC Registration- worth it? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Microchipping is very confusing, and it took me a long time to even remotely understand it.

First you select a microchip brand and have it inserted. Then you get the microchip number and you can go online and register it to basically any registry you want to, AVID, Petlink, PetKey, and AKC has a registry as well. It is up to you which one you want. Some have lifetime registration, some charge an annual fee, and some charge if you change your information.

Microchipping is separate and has nothing to do with registering with the AKC, and you do not need to register your pet with the AKC to be able to register a microchip.

I hope that make sense, it took me awhile to figure it all out ;-)
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: AKC Registration- worth it?   AKC Registration- worth it? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 1:33 pm

I think what you mean Kibahope is how do you use the AKC pet recovery option - very simple, just put your microchip information for you rpup on the sheet. IN the papers there is a place to write it.

Papers are good for a lot of things - some day you may get curious about the sire or dam, or your dog may develop HD, CD or JC and it is important to be able to tell the breeder. It's only 30 and honestly, you can do a lot with it. Dog events are fun. Even if you don't use it you still have the option to do agility, weight pull, obedience, rally, CGC, WPD, Therapy programs through AKC. There are many things you can use it for Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AKC Registration- worth it?   AKC Registration- worth it? Empty

Back to top Go down

AKC Registration- worth it?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1