It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Scared of Weight Please Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

Male Join date : 2013-02-13

Scared of Weight  Please Help Empty
PostSubject: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 9:56 pm

My pup is 4 months old and weighs only 10lb. He is normal and all. He eats regularly about 2cups a day and is mostly "chill" he is not crazy and jumping everywhere but rather relaxed. Should I be worried about his weight?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 10:10 pm

did you type that right 4 months old and 10lbs?

thats not right.....

Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Yes, that is extremely underweight. Ours is 14.5 weeks and is 25.5 lbs. Have you taken your dog to the Vet? They should be telling you how much to feed your puppy and if the weight is healthy or not. 2 cups seems low to me.

He's most likely "relaxed" because he's probably malnourished and lethargic.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 11:40 pm

At four months old, if he's only 10lbs, either he has something going on or he needs more food. Karli was 20lbs at that age. What has your vet said about it?
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 12:27 am

That's scary skinny if that is actually what you meant to type. Has he been to the vet recently? Something is not right at all. Is that even possible?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 12:42 am

I htink before it can be established if the pup is under weight, we would need to see pictures. It could be that he's incredibly tiny. If memory serves, Heather's Rogue isn't even over 30 lbs and she's a full grown adult.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 3:07 am

I agree, before anyone can say that's severely underweight lets take a look at some current photos. He may be a small boy. Was he from a large litter? Were his parents of standard or below? So many variables here-
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 3:30 am

Uhh.. Rogue was 12lbs at 4 months and perfectly healthy.. So let's not jump down the SOMETHING IS WRONG!!! road until we can see how big the pup actually is. My girl didn't even break 20lbs before 7-8 months.

I can't tell if you are just afraid they're not growing much or if they are looking skinny to you.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 3:54 am

Troll?....

Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 7:03 am

I troll you not! I'll post pics later to prove it to you
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Scared of Weight  Please Help Img_0612

Scared of Weight  Please Help Img_0613

Those are some pictures hes not skinny trust me he is not bony or any of that hes just small in comparison with other 4 month old huskies. Thats why i was concerned. I feed him 2 cups a day 1 in the morning and 1 at night. I take him to the dog park every day for 30min and walk around in the park with him for about another 30. Maybe he is just small?
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 4:38 pm

How tall is he? He looks younger than 4 months in the pictures.
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Thats what I was thinking maybe he is younger than what they said he is. I haven't exactly measure from foot to shoulders but I would guess around 1ft maybe a little more
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Honestly, he doesn't look older then 8 weeks. Are you positive he is 4 months?
Do you have pictures from when you first got him?
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 4:45 pm

I actually recently got him about 1 week ago. I got him Friday and his birth day was supposedly October 15, My guess would be a lot later than that
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 4:47 pm

This was my girl at 8 weeks, she's the only looking at the camera
Scared of Weight  Please Help 166038_3248217056379_1463133258_n

And then this is her at 4 months
Scared of Weight  Please Help 156727_1502726060195_5677_n
and her standing next to my full grown male
Scared of Weight  Please Help 68270_1497270203802_3180595_n

He looks the same size as my female at 8 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 4:48 pm

elmerdc4 wrote:
I actually recently got him about 1 week ago. I got him Friday and his birth day was supposedly October 15, My guess would be a lot later than that
I would say December 15 is a better estimate. Did you get him from a breeder? I'd call them and ask how he's 4 months old.
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 4:49 pm

He is precisely around that size! Would there be anyway to findout his true DOB without papers?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 4:51 pm

Been following this silently; wanted to say that, to me, he looks much younger than 4 months. Around that age they start losing puppy teeth and start growing the adult ones. So that's a good way to average how old he really is. The guy I got Kale from said that he was 8 weeks old, ended up being 5 weeks when I got there to pick him up.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 4:59 pm

I feel somewhat reassured now that I've been able to compare him with another puppy but I'll still take him to the vet to check him out
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 5:12 pm

he looks just like Kiba at about 8 weeks. sometimes worms can cause growth issues but to be honest he just simply looks younger thats all. Plus like another poster said, he still has his soft baby fur and the ears are pretty small. Kiba had big honkin ears and lost her soft fur at about 4 months and weighed in at 18lbs.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 6:31 pm

the only way to get his DOB other then papers would be to ask the breeder. Did he have a vet record when you got him with his shot schedule and deworming?
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 6:37 pm

The vet should be able to give a pretty good estimate based on teeth and motor skills.
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Alright thanks you guys! You were a grey help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scared of Weight Please Help   Scared of Weight  Please Help Empty

Back to top Go down

Scared of Weight Please Help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1