It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I've Never Been So Scared!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

I've Never Been So Scared!! Empty
PostSubject: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Today I went to the dog park as I usually do. As soon as I walked in, I knew something was wrong. Dogs were screaming and owners were scrambling around. It became clear a great dane was attacking everyones dogs, and not just playing, it was going for their throats and would NOT let go!! As soon as I walked in the gate I didn't take two steps before Cloud and Yuki ran back to the gate whimpering. We switched sides and I watched what was going on for a while. The owner of the great dane had three dogs but only the great dane was aggressive, and it was attacking EVERYBODY! I was so glad I switched sides because I know Cloud and Yuki could've been seriously injured, and thats what scares me the most, is being there one day and having the great dane come in with no warning!! The other dog owners were asking the great dane's owner to leave, to which he started ranting and calling people names and was saying how HE was entitled to be at the dog park, and said that he would NOT leave. All while his dog had some poor dog by the throat and the owners were desperately trying to get it off! Finally the owners felt they had no choice, and the wife kicked the great dane to try to get it to release her dog - I feel bad for her - and then the owner went up to her and ranted at her 'how dare you touch my dog I don't care what the situation is!' right in her face. The lady's husband had gotten their dog under a fenced in area inside the park that was keeping dogs out to fertilize the grass, and he came back and started shouting in the great dane owner's face how his dog needed to be leashed so everyone could at least leave and the great dane's owner punched the other guy in the face! I decided I had enough of this, so I got the sheriff's phone number off the dog park board and headed back to my car and called to report the incident. I got the guy's car's license plate number and color and the description of the guy so if we ever see him again we can call the regular cops right out and get him kicked out of the park Sad I'm just seriously hope I never see him again, I was shaking out of fear and couldn't believe someone would act so irresponsible, I am on the verge of tears and am afraid to go back in case he's there again. I feel bad for the dogs, they didn't get to run much and now I have to go to work in an hour.
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Thats crazy! Some people are just assholes. Ugh. I hope that he at least gets into some trouble for punching the other man in the face and being so crazy.

Do you have any pepper spray or anything? That might help you feel better about going back, just in case the dane happens to show up. An aggressive dog is one thing, but an aggressive Great Dane is a whole other level of scary...
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Yeah, an aggressive great dane = a very, very bad incident waiting to happen. Though I have to wonder if it was just extremely ill behaved and doesn't understand appropriate play actions, because if that dog wanted to attack a dog and hurt it, there'd of been a lot of dogs with bad puncture wounds and off to the vet. I know huskies play rough, but I've seen dogs that just go way too crazy and especially with it being that big, it's probably freaking the dogs out and their mouths are huge, so it isn't like it can be all that gentle if it's tugging necks, or maybe it has bad bite inhibition. I guess I just wonder if it wasn't how it looked and it wasn't trying to be mean, as I have a friend with a husky/collie mix that it plays ROUGH and does not let go and people get mad at her. The owner should DEFINITELY have been calling his dog off and correcting it though. If a dog doesn't like how his is acting towards it, he should be redirecting it's attention and using the park as a tool to work on his social skills.

I would have called the cops, though. I would have asked the guy to remove his dog/leash it/correct it, and if he didn't, that I'd call the cops/AC because he is creating an unsafe environment for all the dogs.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 4:09 pm

No one is entitled to go to a dog park with an aggressive dog though. It is normally a privilege to go and that option can easily be taken away. Is your dog park a community thing or a membership based park? If it is membership like mine, I would call your boardmembers and let the know what is going on. At no time can an aggressive dog be at our park and their membership would be suspended or revoked.

I am sorry to hear that happened to anyone, but glad it wasn't your pups involved.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 4:44 pm

That is terrible and I'm glad that you weren't on that side of the fence. That is one reason that I get uncomfortable at the dog park. You don't know what kind of temper the dogs or owners have and every time a new dog/owner arrives, you have to be so vigilant. The dane owner is clearly over the top - wonder why his dog is aggressive!?
Back to top Go down
Kick
Newborn
Newborn
Kick

Male Join date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 4:58 pm

People have to realize that if a dog has a hint of aggression, you need to act fast or else you risk your own dog's life. A split second of hesitation could mean life and death. The second that dane would have gotten near my dog's throat would be the second my foot would be shoved up the dane.

I am totally against animal abuse, but I feel like there are plenty of situations where my intervention would be needed if it gives my dog a sliver of a chance at survival. That owner? There's a space in between his legs that will bring most people down...regardless of size if he ever approached me.

Whatever, there's always that one crazy person at a dog park.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 5:31 pm

Wow.. that's really scary. And good for you, calling the sheriff. That guy had no right to be at the dog park. While our dog parks here don't have memberships, and are community parks like any regular park, he was obviously endangering the other dogs and people. It's not something we'd ever say is ok at a playground. Do you know what happened with the situation after you called the sheriff? Hopefully that guy won't be back.
Anyways, feel better, I'm glad the dogs are safe even though they didn't get to run a lot.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 5:41 pm

Kick wrote:
People have to realize that if a dog has a hint of aggression, you need to act fast or else you risk your own dog's life. A split second of hesitation could mean life and death. The second that dane would have gotten near my dog's throat would be the second my foot would be shoved up the dane.

I am totally against animal abuse, but I feel like there are plenty of situations where my intervention would be needed if it gives my dog a sliver of a chance at survival. That owner? There's a space in between his legs that will bring most people down...regardless of size if he ever approached me.

Defending your dog is completely justifiable and I would never call someone an animal abuser if they were trying to keep their dog safe. I would absolutely kick or throw a dog to get it off my babies if it was full on attacking them.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 5:59 pm

Heather! wrote:
Kick wrote:

Defending your dog is completely justifiable and I would never call someone an animal abuser if they were trying to keep their dog safe. I would absolutely kick or throw a dog to get it off my babies if it was full on attacking them.

I second that. They're family, I don't think defending them is anything like abuse. I'd seriously question someone who just watched their dog, or any dog, get hurt.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 6:07 pm

And if the owner is not intercepting things, which would also protect his dog from any legal action/injuries from the dog fighting back, they certainly can't blame you for a swift kick or whatever you need to do.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Last week end when we had our Husky Huddle some guy brought in his Cane Corso "pup" and as usual started trouble within the 1st 15 minutes they were there (been there done that previously). We went from 18 Husky down to about 7 in maybe 3 minutes time. There was a meeting with the paw park members the following day explained what happen they will be on the look out for him.

Was told by other members they had problem once with some body's Bull Mastiff tearing up the place. The owner had the same I'm entitled to be here attitude, nope not gonna happen the paw park had the cops come in and had him arrested. There are rule signs posted on every fence in the park it is the dog owners obligation to read and follow the rules. If you can't cooperate then your trespassing and the police will be called.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 8:59 pm

Wow, that's so terrifying. You acted so brave to get his license, car color and etc! I would have tried to get a picture/video of the act so you can remember him next time. Although in fear, I'm sure you won't forget his face.

I hate that type of attitude. I would have done what you did - jot down the information, call sheriff, then leave. Our community park has been having severe break ins (I'm talking about 5 a month at least), so I have been avoiding it. Also, a small yorkie got KILLED on the big side, so I've been scared to bring Juneau (although I will believe it was the yorkie owner's fault for bringing in such a small dog to a 20+ pound park, it can get a snapped neck so easily).

It was such a wonderful park on a nice side of Houston, but weekenders who don't follow the rules and thieves have been ruining it for me! I haven't been there in months!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:10 pm

Myndi wrote:
Thats crazy! Some people are just assholes. Ugh. I hope that he at least gets into some trouble for punching the other man in the face and being so crazy.

Do you have any pepper spray or anything? That might help you feel better about going back, just in case the dane happens to show up. An aggressive dog is one thing, but an aggressive Great Dane is a whole other level of scary...

I don't carry anything with me other than disposal bags, its a very nice park and I've never had issues like this and its making me second guess taking them Sad
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:12 pm

Heather! wrote:
Yeah, an aggressive great dane = a very, very bad incident waiting to happen. Though I have to wonder if it was just extremely ill behaved and doesn't understand appropriate play actions, because if that dog wanted to attack a dog and hurt it, there'd of been a lot of dogs with bad puncture wounds and off to the vet. I know huskies play rough, but I've seen dogs that just go way too crazy and especially with it being that big, it's probably freaking the dogs out and their mouths are huge, so it isn't like it can be all that gentle if it's tugging necks, or maybe it has bad bite inhibition. I guess I just wonder if it wasn't how it looked and it wasn't trying to be mean, as I have a friend with a husky/collie mix that it plays ROUGH and does not let go and people get mad at her. The owner should DEFINITELY have been calling his dog off and correcting it though. If a dog doesn't like how his is acting towards it, he should be redirecting it's attention and using the park as a tool to work on his social skills.

I would have called the cops, though. I would have asked the guy to remove his dog/leash it/correct it, and if he didn't, that I'd call the cops/AC because he is creating an unsafe environment for all the dogs.

The dog seemed to be going for the throats to seriously injure the dogs, all body language seemed to be like aggression, not rough play, but I could be wrong. Perhaps it thought it was just playing, but in any case the owner was asked SEVERAL times, leave the park, control your dog, leash your dog so WE can leave, our dogs are being hurt, and the owner did nothing but blame it on the other owners and tell them to mind their business. It was a very sad situation Sad
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:14 pm

kevo wrote:
No one is entitled to go to a dog park with an aggressive dog though. It is normally a privilege to go and that option can easily be taken away. Is your dog park a community thing or a membership based park? If it is membership like mine, I would call your boardmembers and let the know what is going on. At no time can an aggressive dog be at our park and their membership would be suspended or revoked.

I am sorry to hear that happened to anyone, but glad it wasn't your pups involved.

It is a community thing, we have no membership fees BUT the park DOES have rules, and they had the sheriffs number (that I called) right outside the gates that said to call if any disturbances happen. I'm so glad I got Cloud and Yuki out of there, I originally assumed it was a small scuffle and was about to stay but as soon as I heard the panic in the other dogs and I heard the owners yelling, I knew I had to get my dogs to safety first - once I did then I watched the scene to figure out what was going on.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:15 pm

bellecma wrote:
That is terrible and I'm glad that you weren't on that side of the fence. That is one reason that I get uncomfortable at the dog park. You don't know what kind of temper the dogs or owners have and every time a new dog/owner arrives, you have to be so vigilant. The dane owner is clearly over the top - wonder why his dog is aggressive!?

I was even thinking to myself no wonder his dog is so aggressive, the OWNER is aggressive too!!!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:17 pm

Kick wrote:

Yeah I felt the owners of the dog being attacked were justified in kicking the great dane - if they tried to get near its mouth or pull it off that way they could've been seriously injured. I just felt horrible throughout the whole situation for all the dogs and owners - and wanted to seriously hurt the great dane's owner. It makes me angry that people wouldn't correct their dog in a situation like that.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:19 pm

Dot wrote:
Wow.. that's really scary. And good for you, calling the sheriff. That guy had no right to be at the dog park. While our dog parks here don't have memberships, and are community parks like any regular park, he was obviously endangering the other dogs and people. It's not something we'd ever say is ok at a playground. Do you know what happened with the situation after you called the sheriff? Hopefully that guy won't be back.
Anyways, feel better, I'm glad the dogs are safe even though they didn't get to run a lot.

Our is a community park too. The guy left AS I was reporting it to the sheriff, I went back to the other owners after he left to make sure everyone and their dogs were okay. The police arrived soon after, we all gave our reports of the situation and a description of the man and his dogs, the police told us they would patrol the park more often and that if he EVER showed up to call immediately and leave the park so that no dogs or owners would be harmed.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:20 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Last week end when we had our Husky Huddle some guy brought in his Cane Corso "pup" and as usual started trouble within the 1st 15 minutes they were there (been there done that previously). We went from 18 Husky down to about 7 in maybe 3 minutes time. There was a meeting with the paw park members the following day explained what happen they will be on the look out for him.

Was told by other members they had problem once with some body's Bull Mastiff tearing up the place. The owner had the same I'm entitled to be here attitude, nope not gonna happen the paw park had the cops come in and had him arrested. There are rule signs posted on every fence in the park it is the dog owners obligation to read and follow the rules. If you can't cooperate then your trespassing and the police will be called.

So sorry this happened to you :[ It's sad that people don't understand the rules, or their DOGS.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:22 pm

VintageJeans wrote:
Wow, that's so terrifying. You acted so brave to get his license, car color and etc! I would have tried to get a picture/video of the act so you can remember him next time. Although in fear, I'm sure you won't forget his face.

I hate that type of attitude. I would have done what you did - jot down the information, call sheriff, then leave. Our community park has been having severe break ins (I'm talking about 5 a month at least), so I have been avoiding it. Also, a small yorkie got KILLED on the big side, so I've been scared to bring Juneau (although I will believe it was the yorkie owner's fault for bringing in such a small dog to a 20+ pound park, it can get a snapped neck so easily).

It was such a wonderful park on a nice side of Houston, but weekenders who don't follow the rules and thieves have been ruining it for me! I haven't been there in months!

I'm usually never brave, I like to not get involved with things but when it concerns my dogs.. I just get an extra power up or something! I was shaking the entire time, on the phone, even after he left, even after I got home I was still shaking from it all. His appearance isn't very typical so I'm sure I'll recognize. I was in my car in the parking lot reporting the situation when he left - thats how I knew which car was his - and so I was able to stay and check on the other dogs to make sure everyone was okay. Our park is usually very nice, very few cases like this, I STILL can't believe I witnessed something like this!!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:28 pm

I really feel sorry for what you guys went thru. Most of the great danes I have seen at the dog parks here are big lap dogs.. They seem to be gentle giants this one sounds like just the opposite.

As for kicking this dog I see why.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:30 pm

Maya's been attacked twice at that dog park. The first time was a Rottweiler and he attacked her 3 times before his owner put him on a leash. The second time was with a boxer, @ Megan you were there for that. She was on the ground screaming while the boxer was snarling about to go for her throat, luckily the owner got him before anything happened. Maya gets into scuffles with dogs but those aren't anything like these were.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:30 pm

ljelgin wrote:
I really feel sorry for what you guys went thru. Most of the great danes I have seen at the dog parks here are big lap dogs.. They seem to be gentle giants this one sounds like just the opposite.

As for kicking this dog I seen why.

I'm so lucky I got the pups out of there... I can't imagine what would've happened if the great dane had noticed them. And we have two great dane puppies that frequent the dog park, one black and one that looked similar to this one, white with black spots. Both are SWEET and loving and big babies! Everyone at the dog park loves them! I'm sure it pained the owners to have to kick a dog like that.. but in a situation like that where if you don't react and your dog is killed, I know I'd regret not doing anything :[
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:32 pm

MayaAndSophie wrote:
Maya's been attacked twice at that dog park. The first time was a Rottweiler and he attacked her 3 times before his owner put him on a leash. The second time was with a boxer, @ Megan you were there for that. She was on the ground screaming while the boxer was snarling about to go for her throat, luckily the owner got him before anything happened. Maya gets into scuffles with dogs but those aren't anything like these were.

Definitely, you of all people know the difference between rough play and aggression. That pitbull was horrid, I'm glad the person got them. You're responsible enough not to bring Maya even though she isn't horribly aggressive with the other dogs (just a tad too rough Razz ) and this guy had the gall to bring his dog when it was going for other dog's throats!! Ugh the stupidity!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:55 pm

Just one thing, Zoey always goes for the neck when she plays with dogs, and she's not aggressive at all. Though it does seem that way if you don't know her. We only get nervous about it when she's doing it with a little dog, and for a great dane every dog is a little dog. I would trust the owner enough to know his own dog, but again if people didn't like how the dog was acting, he should have been respectful and left.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've Never Been So Scared!!   I've Never Been So Scared!! Empty

Back to top Go down

I've Never Been So Scared!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next