It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is Empty
PostSubject: Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is   Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 12:00 pm

I currently feed Bella Hollistic Select and she does very well on it but I was thinking about trying Blue Buffalo as I keep hearing great things about it. Has anyone here tried the two? Blue Buffalo would be way easier to get ahold of but it isn't carried by the pet store I usually go to which means they don't like it and that has me edgy.
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is   Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Currently Loki is on blue buffalo freedom for puppies. His coat is great looking his poops are firm and he loves the stuff I plan on switching to blue buffalo wilderness.

Last edited by eander83 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed autocorrect word)
Back to top Go down
LRomero
Newborn
Newborn
LRomero

Male Join date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is   Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Hannah is on Blue Buffalo Wilderness and I've had no issues with it. We went through a few different brands before settling on this one. We've gone through 24 lb bags of the puppy, chicken and salmon flavors. She didn't like the salmon one as much as I thought she would (more expensive too) so I went back to the chicken.

Not sure how different it is from the regular BB brand, I'd assume it's the grain? Overall I pay around 56 bucks for a 24lb bag with tax at the local Petsmart here.

Also wanted to point out that her coat is shiny and soft. She's only 13 months old but I haven't had any major issues with her coat with her being on BBW.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is   Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 1:06 pm

I did a quick check on ingredients on Holistic Select vs Blue Buffalo, looking at the Wilderness line (BB has a couple of different lines of dry food). Holistic's ingredients have some sort of protein meal listed as their first ingredient followed by rice, rice and oatmeal as their 2nd, 3rd and 4th ingredient. BB has protein meal listed as the first, 2nd, and 3rd ingredient, followed by either pea or potato. (Peas can also be considered as a protein source, but content would be less than meat sources).

For some, grains have a negative effect on the digestive system. And for some, a higher protein content is preferable.

If Bella thrives on Holistic, you don't necessarily need to switch her food. However, if you are looking to switch to something with a higher protein content, and less fillers, then BB may be a better option.

Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

PostSubject: Re: Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is   Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 6:03 pm

Just looked up some prices and I might just try orijin again. At least online it was more expensive than Holistic and very close to orijin but when Bella was a puppy she didn't do too well on it. I'd prefer having her eat that and this time I know not to use the feeding chart so that might help too.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is   Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 9:58 pm

I do like Orijen, but I heard with the fire at one of their 'kitchens', it's harder to find. In addition to that, I hear they are also going to increase their price starting March.

If you still go with Orijen, and you find it at a store near you, ask the store if they are participating in the frequent buyer program for Orijen. You buy 12 bags and you get the 13th free. Otherwise, check online prices and compare them to prices on Natural K9 Supplies. There are a couple of other online stores with good prices on dry dog food, but I just can't remember them. I'm hoping some people will chime in on that.

Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

PostSubject: Re: Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is   Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 10:24 pm

My store does that, they are seriously the best store ever which is why the fact tthat they don't carry BB mildly concerning
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is   Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Just because your store doesn't carry BB doesn't mean it's bad.

If you check the rating here: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/4-star/
Holistic Select is rated below BB Wilderness.

If you check here: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showcat.php/cat/6/page/8
Holistic Select isn't even rated but BB Wilderness Salmon and other BB formulas are rated in the top two.

It could be that your store just doesn't carry BB for one reason or another, not that it's bad. I don't know of any store that carries ALL brand of dog food, or ALL brands of top rated dog food.

I think what is important is you find a decent food that Bella loves and thrives on that is affordable for you.

PostSubject: Re: Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is   Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is Empty

Back to top Go down

Wondering how good Blue Buffalo really is

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1