It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How loud/talkative is your husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jess
Newborn
Newborn
Jess

Female Join date : 2010-05-09

How loud/talkative is your husky? Empty
PostSubject: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 8:51 am

Hi guys. So I was just curious to hear about how loud and talkative your huskies are.

A little about mine..
Kobey is certainly the only dog on my street that often sounds like he is being tortured. If I put my ipod on or start putting my shoes on, Kobey knows that I am leaving. Even though he usually comes with me, he gets very upset. It's hard to describe how loud he is and what he sounds like but it seems like he's yelling at me. We have a lead outside the door and I'll sometimes tie him up on it. If I go out to grab something out of my car, forget it! He screams bloody murder. It really sounds like he's being killed. I know that it's only because he's worried that I'm going to leave without him. I now certainly put him inside if I have to grab something that's outside.
Last summer we brought him to this brook area to go swimming. This is when he was a little unsure about water. We went into our knees and Kobey was on the edge. We were trying to get him to come in just by calling him. He wanted to, but we could tell he was scared. We just continued to call him. He started yelling at us very loudly. We knew he wasn't actually upset or anything, he was wagging his tail and jumping around. We know him, and just know that he is a very talkative dog but the other people around us were giving us the dirtiest looks as if we were torturing him!
His loudness draws a lot of attention. Another example is when we go to the park. He gets very excited if he sees other dogs and will cry and be so loud until he gets to go see them. He makes it look like he hates us sometimes!
It gets frustrating when people look at us like we're terrible. We know Kobey and we know he's a VERY happy dog, he just likes to talk!
I'll make a video of him sometime so you guys can hear him.

Do any of you ever encounter things like this with your huskies?
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 10:21 am

Sounds like Ridik for sure! I hate that trait of his. When we get ready to go hiking he starts that screeching wailing bark howl from the moment I put the packs together. He does it anytime I get more than ten feet away from him. People are always looking because of the commotion he makes. But sometimes he goes on long enough that the Malamutes snap and attack him. Then he's screaming for real. People seem amazed that I just let them tear into Ridik, but they don't have to listen to his Husky crap day in and day out.

Then there's the Husky down the street. She screams something awful for several minutes a few times a day. She lives in a yard that's chain link and backs up to a school. So every time the kids go to and from school, the Husky freaks and shrieks until the kids are all out of sight.
Back to top Go down
Jess
Newborn
Newborn
Jess

Female Join date : 2010-05-09

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 10:55 am

Wow! That's good to know. Where I live there aren't many huskies around. I very rarely see any. And Kobey is my first so I had no idea they were THAT loud. The husky that you mentioned that lives down the street sounds very similar to Kobey. He loves people and will freak out until he can go over to them.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 12:08 pm

Jess,
Welcome! check out the scrapbook area it was before we got the video section and look for Sierra and Jack video or just Jack video. Jack is our talker for sure! I was out talking to my neighbor one night (god forbid before I walked the dogs) and Jack was in the house going crazy cause he wanted his walk, the guy I was talking to asked me if everything was ok in the house and I just laughed and said that's my boy who wants a walk! it's a love hate thing with me, he is so fun when he talks but when we are in the car it is unbearable behind my head. talk about a 2-3 hr car ride with him wailing! I also cannot get the leashes out without him telling me a whole story Smile I love our huskies

Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 8:58 pm

My Roxy is pretty quiet for the most part however she does groan and howl at us once in awhile. Now my last Husky Diamond would scream and howl her head off all day everyday. My parents didnt like that to much haha
Back to top Go down
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

Female Join date : 2010-01-13

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 11:28 am

My two are very quite. :-( They make a little noise at walk time and when they hear the garage door open.. I try so hard to get them to talk and they don't!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 11:40 am

jaxypooh wrote:
My two are very quite. :-( They make a little noise at walk time and when they hear the garage door open.. I try so hard to get them to talk and they don't!
They're still settling into your place Smile Hailey is JUST now starting to be more talkative and it had taken Koda almost 6-9 months to start speaking too much. They are generally more quiet and reserved until they feel confident in their environment.

Koda is a talker when he gets excited... so meal time, when daddy gets home, when his grandparents come visit... or when we're playing. Hailey is just now starting to be more vocal. We'll see her talk when she wants food, or when she wants to play with Koda. She talked with John sometimes when they play, but it takes a LOT of encouragement.

How loud/talkative is your husky? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptySat May 22, 2010 8:38 am

Nanuk started out so quiet. Kessie & Tia were so much older, they were past the talking stage. Then, we got Isis. We call her the "Town Crier". She tells you everything! This got Nanuk a little more vocal. Then, Mika came along.....SHE is the one who sounds like she's being tortured when "Singing". Now, Nanuk is as vocal as the other two. He likes to get it all started, then let the sopranos take over! Luckily, they don't do it when we are gone. At least our neighbor, Sadie, said she doesn't hear them. Quiet in the car. It's usually just when we are hanging out in the living room. I have a video somewhere on here, too, of the three of them making a racket. Have fun with your husky & WELCOME!
Back to top Go down
Shiloh
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyMon May 24, 2010 1:51 am

Mine is very loud at bath time you can hear her outside. Since this is my first can anyone tell me if they ever enjoy a bath?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyMon May 24, 2010 8:47 am

Baths are something that is unique to each dog. My huskies both love the water, but you'd think I was abusing them by the looks on their faces when I give them baths. It's just the nature of the beast Smile You can try to make bath time more enjoyable by giving her treats when she is quiet in the bathtub. Creating a positive association with the bath will help ease her worries.

How loud/talkative is your husky? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyTue May 25, 2010 4:02 pm

sniper is very talkative at eating time!!! she lets you know in the morning when she is hungry thats for sure! we can sometimes get her wound up by playing in the evenings and she will start talking! I love to hear them talk! its great!!
Back to top Go down
wreagan
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2010-12-20

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 12:55 am

Max is mostly quiet, untill he sees me. In the morning he sees me he is quiet, but when I come home from work he howls and whines. Then I get his food and water, talk to him and walk one hour and forty mins. Max grumbuls and growls during the walk but when we hear the packs of coyotes he is quiet, they dont bother him at all. We rescued Max, and there is still a little seperation exziety- (sorry for the spelling)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 1:39 pm

Our sibe is very noisy and talkative. When he wants something, be it food or attention he will let you know in the noisiest manner possible. Our sibe used to be extremely quiet until I trained him to "speak" on command. After lots of positive reinforcement for woo-wooing, talking, and general vocalizations he learned very quickly that noise was a great thing in our house...probably took it a little too far but we love it! Smile

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 1:58 pm

Ginger is pretty quiet. We have to howl at her to get her going and she'll stop and walk away if she's had enough. The only time she's talkative on her own is at the park with other Sibes that she wants to play with. This past Sunday, Ginger gave Sierra an ear full and wouldn't let up but Sierra didn't feel like playing with her and tried to walk away a couple of times before Ginger finally left her alone. (Good for you Sierra! Very Happy )

Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 1:26 am

Mira Only When She seems & Wants a treat She WIll Woof Woof Woof And Pretty Please ..
Icon is a Big Mouth She barks & Howls @ Everything !!!~
Fury Is a Biiiiig Mouth He is very Vocal and is Beautiful~~
Back to top Go down
AgentCaroline
Puppy
Puppy
AgentCaroline

Female Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 5:49 am

Jasper likes to antagonize our other two dogs, so the louder they get, the louder he gets. I will have to capture it on video and post it to give you a better picture. It is funny because he has such a high pitch voice right now since he is still a puppy, but annoying most of the time because he and Grace like to trap me in the middle during their squabbles. Jasper will be on one side of me on the couch while Grace will be on the other side of me and they will constantly be talking to one another hurting my ears. If I turn the TV volume up, they just get louder too.

When we gave him his first bath a couple of months ago, he was screaming bloody murder. One of the neighbors came out and jokingly said "what are you doing to that poor dog?" It was embarrassing with how much of a drama queen he was being.

A few days ago I heard him actually bark for the first time instead of talk. He saw one of our neighbors in his backyard, who he sees almost everyday, and decided to start barking at him. I was rolling on the floor tonight when my husband had to bring our nativity set inside of the house and Jasper started barking at it for whatever reason. I wonder if he thought they were real people instead of plastic figures? Laughing
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 3:11 pm

Mya (4yrs) is definitely a talker. She's talks when she sees me putting my shoes on because she knows she's going for a walk and when you ask her "if she wants to go?" she really goes off. Other than that she only talks a bit when begging for food. She does not bark, but rather cries. There's this one dog that we past by everyday and she cries like they're torturing her! It's so embarrassment...lol.

Now Kody (4months), DEFINITELY CRIES! He cries like something horrible is being done to him ...specially when we get home, when my mother in law comes or when we're locking the door to take him on his walk (he's new to the walk thing). He talks (not cries) to Mya when he wants to play...it's so cute. Oh and he makes the weirdest noises when he sleeps!

I was hoping the crying would go away once he's older,but from this thread I see that probably not happening..lol
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 3:37 pm

All of mine are talkers. And they LOVE to talk. Odin enjoys barking more but I try to ignore when he does that and lavish him in love when he howls. It's kind of working, but I think he just enjoys barking more. It's a shame because I certainly don't! Very Happy

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 4:50 pm

Embry is ALWAYS talking, everyone gets a kick out of him Laughing Zoey not so much, but she does howl when Embry does, it's so cute
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 9:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRYGbgh8iB4

We have to prompt her to talk to us, and if she's in the mood, this is how talkative and loud she'll get...

PostSubject: Re: How loud/talkative is your husky?   How loud/talkative is your husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

How loud/talkative is your husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1