It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Possibly a Malamute?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  Empty
PostSubject: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 10:58 pm

When I first introduced Brandi to the forum, I was under the impression I purchased a Husky. We took her to the vet today for some shots and a check up and little miss piggy has gained some weight! She is 18 weeks now and pushing 30 lbs! The vet also said she is thinking she could possibly be Malamute or could be a poorly bred Husky. She said it's difficult to predict what her adult weight will be, but judging on how big she is now, she's guessing between 60-70 lbs. Shocked

I can't remember how much Nicky and Hayden weighed at that age, but to me she looks huge. Here are some updated pictures of her, so you guy's can tell me what you think Smile

Also, if you can remember, what did you're pups weigh at around 18 weeks?

Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  48097_218700708274785_1776436479_nMalamute - Possibly a Malamute?  11079_218700808274775_733473203_nMalamute - Possibly a Malamute?  542653_218700888274767_1007991197_n

Last edited by Hayden_69 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 11:06 pm

Klutch hit a weight gain and we thought at one point he would top out to 60-70 pounds, but now that he is reaching a year old, he has grown and filled out a bit and is holding steady at 54 pounds.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 11:09 pm

She looks like a husky to me. Bode was around that weight at that age and I was terrified he was going to be huge but his growth slowed way down at around 6 months and he still is at/slightly under the 50lb mark at nearly 10 months.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 12:43 am

Karli weighed 23lbs at 20 weeks. Everyone kept telling me how big she was going to get and I got seriously worried til I realized they were probably thinking of malamutes and not huskies. I found this to be the truth at her last visit when the vet tech took one look at her and said she was gonna be a medium dog and talked about all the huskies she had raised before moving here. So hopefully Brandi will be a normal sized husky. And she looks like a husky to me too.
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 12:53 am

Looks like husky to me.. If if makes you feel better - Nova is 4 months and around 30lbs. He isn't fat just Big.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 1:11 am

Korra is 22.5 lbs and 18 weeks. She still looks like a husky to me Smile
I went to a puppyweights.com for 30lbs at 18 weeks and it estimated ~44lbs? lol. I don't even know if that site works, though it has consistently given me ~35 for Korra which is what her mom weighs and what the breeder said she'd probably end up being. For mal it says ~45lbs for 30lbs/18wks. So I'd still guess husky?
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 2:24 am

Looks Husky to me also. Zoey was 35lbs at 18 weeks Smile She slowed down at 6 months. She's 2 now and 50lbs.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 3:44 am

Sheba was only 20ish pounds at that age lol. But at 9 months she is 28 pounds..so she is a tiny little thing!! I still think she husky, but as she is still so young, it is still somewhat up in the air!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 10:34 am

Maggie is on the small side for a malamute at 73 pounds, She was 45 at 18 weeks. She got to 60 at 6 months and just stayed there for a while. She got taller instead of putting on weight. She is 25" 73 pounds at 2 1/2. years old. I wouldn't worry about that. Hey if he is mixed with a malamute its not that bad. Razz
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 10:42 am

I feel much better now! I wouldn't mind having a Mal, I love big dog's Smile

Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 11:31 am

Lol, Lycus was the same weight too. But, he didn't stop for a while! He's a poorly bred husky from a BYB :/ So he definitely grew larger than most. He weighs around 75lbs now at a little over 1 year old. He's not fat just really tall lol. Although, personally I love how big he is even though he's all lanky lol.
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 2:02 pm

Husky for sure. Husky ears are closer together, malamutes ears are much farther apart. Not to mention malamutes are much larger.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Mals are 65 to 85 pounds as a standard. They are really not suppose to be bigger than that. Though I agree with the ear thing
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 4:14 pm

I was waiting to chime in on this one until I saw her in person, and I would say she's at least got Mal mixed in. It's not as apparent in the picture, but when you see her in person she looks rather Mal in the face. Plus she's pretty stocky, though I have seen stocky Huskies.

Regardless, she is adorable and an absolute sweetheart! I loved getting to play with her a bit, and she did great in the park.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 4:35 pm

Meredith she looks pretty mal in the face in these pictures too. Mals are not bad to own if I say so myself. Razz
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 5:27 pm

She looks husky to me! Selena is 15 weeks tomorrow and weighs 20 pounds. Her vet says she could possibly be on the larger side because she's gaining weight so fast and she also has huge paws, hmmm! I wonder what she will be at 18 weeks lol.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 10:48 pm

She looks like a mix to me. Like Erica said, she has a Mal face in these pictures. But her ears and paws are ones of a husky. She might be a big husky too. Titus was 40lbs at 5 months when I picked him up. He is now 72lbs fully grown. He is a full husky as I have seen the papers of his parents. He is just on the bigger end.
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 11:26 pm

Her eyes make me think mix..But gorgeous either way. Mals in Aus are much bigger than in the states it seems from some of these comments.
Back to top Go down
RogueBella
Newborn
Newborn
RogueBella

Female Join date : 2013-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 11:43 pm

She is gorgeous! Rogue is a bit bigger than her. Nice to see another girl Husky that is larger!
Back to top Go down
KoopaKrazy
Puppy
Puppy
KoopaKrazy

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 2:00 am

Koopa weighed 30lbs at 19 weeks. He is now 11 months old and weighs 47. He's not really changing much now so I don't think he'll get much bigger. But he was like a weed in the sprinklers at first!! So maybe it's just a growth spurt & she'll level off. Smile but either way she's beautiful Smile
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 2:21 am

From what I know Mals are bigger in the US than in Aussie. I brought my Mal puppy for certain Alaskan Malamute Club of Victoria event in Australia and was told that I overfed my puppy as he was 85lbs at 6 months old despite the fact that there wasn't an inch of fat on him. That's the standard weight they get for fully grown Mals there. But when I talked to owners that came from the US with their Mals, they told me that the M'loot bloodline Mals are generally larger than the rest. These Mals were what people misunderstood to be Giant Malamutes but in fact there isn't such a breed. They are just Mals from an older bigger bloodline. Mals from this bloodline can go up till 190lbs in record. Found all this info from a reputable old breeder http://www.wakongiantalaskanmalamutes.com/history.php
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 2:45 am

Hunter, Mal is currently 35kg at 7 mths, and I wouldn't say he's overweight at all, and is still growing - so if breed standards are right then he's already at the upper end of the scales at just 7 months... Breeders I've spoken with have said he was underweight when we got him at 8 weeks (only 9kg)
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 10:37 am

Titus&Lycan wrote:
From what I know Mals are bigger in the US than in Aussie. I brought my Mal puppy for certain Alaskan Malamute Club of Victoria event in Australia and was told that I overfed my puppy as he was 85lbs at 6 months old despite the fact that there wasn't an inch of fat on him. That's the standard weight they get for fully grown Mals there. But when I talked to owners that came from the US with their Mals, they told me that the M'loot bloodline Mals are generally larger than the rest. These Mals were what people misunderstood to be Giant Malamutes but in fact there isn't such a breed. They are just Mals from an older bigger bloodline. Mals from this bloodline can go up till 190lbs in record. Found all this info from a reputable old breeder http://www.wakongiantalaskanmalamutes.com/history.php

Yep but us standard mal owners are still here Wink
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 11:15 am

Here is some weight help (though Bourbon is male): this is lbs. 12.5 @6 wks, 15 @ 8.5 weeks, 2? @ 12.5 wks, 33.1@ 17.5 wks, 40 @ 21 wks, and now at 6.5 months he is about 51lbs still has an hourglass and gaining weight and height gues I should measure his height. Origially it was said he would definately max 60lbs. The vet says we will know more at 10 mos since he is still growing alot. His parents were 45 and 55 lbs and are registered but there was only 3 in the litter and I believe that is making the big difference. Either way it is good that you like the mal if amix and good that you like the larger size.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possibly a Malamute?    Malamute - Possibly a Malamute?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Possibly a Malamute?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1