It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

Male Join date : 2012-12-19

I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset Empty
PostSubject: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 10:26 pm

He has escaped it after I reinforced it. I really thought he hated it when he was a few weeks old but now that he is stronger and older he is really really adamant about getting out! He really went the extra mile today and splattered blood all over the floor ripped up sections of the carpet and gave himself lacerations from head to toe along with ripping a few claws out. I am losing faith and I don't know what I'm going to try next. He will not be contained he is determined to escape no matter how much harm he does to himself.
I'm in need of help and I've no idea who else to turn to about this sort of thing.
I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset 52616910
I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset 53102010
I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset 60149610
I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset 54274411
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Try the plastic crates made for air travel. I tried to crate Koda once for 5 minutes testing it out and he messed himself up some (in a metal crate)- tried the plastic and he was fine and couldn't hurt himself.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 10:41 pm

Yikes! That looks rough. I don't have any advice since Bode hasn't tried to escape his crate, but good luck!
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Do you have a garage? Do you give him chew toys? I agree that you should try a thick plastic crate. is there someone you can leave him with while you are gone?
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 10:49 pm

I've tried leaving him in rooms and he will just dig dig dig until he starts breaking claws and clawing up the floor until he is hurt. The garage is cement and has a metal door. I don't know if that would persuade him not to dig but I'm willing to try anything at this point.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm

I agree with trying the airline crate. Those really are pretty indestructible. (they have to be at 30,000 feet!)
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 10:51 pm

SkylerWest wrote:
I've tried leaving him in rooms and he will just dig dig dig until he starts breaking claws and clawing up the floor until he is hurt. The garage is cement and has a metal door. I don't know if that would persuade him not to dig but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

He is only 3 months old? Have you talked to your vet about this behavior? Something seems really amiss.
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 pm

Huskydad wrote:
SkylerWest wrote:

He is only 3 months old? Have you talked to your vet about this behavior? Something seems really amiss.

I intend to when I take him in to get his front paws and his cuts looked at. I really really really feel like I'm doing something wrong here. I feel like the past few days have been the hardest I've had with him so far.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 10:56 pm

Ares did the same thing in metal crates. I have the 40" tall plastic crate, and for 4 of the reinforcers to hold the top and bottom together I have padlocks. He's ever gotten out of it.
Back to top Go down
eluke81
Puppy
Puppy
eluke81

Female Join date : 2012-12-25

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 11:03 pm

WOW - I'm shocked too. How bad is he hurt??? All that blood........ I cant imagine walking into that room and seeing that - its like a murder scene almost. Try crating him while you are home in short spans - not all at once.- and use treats!!! Maybe a plastic crate like someone mentioned also. A calming plug in might be helpful too. Crating is an acquired taste for huskies, and it will take him a while to adjust. I remember one hot summer, I covered my girls bedroom window with dark out window stuff so the sun wouldnt make the room hot - and I came home - she tried to get out through the window - and ate all the wood window frames off the wall - taking part of the wall with it - looked like a construction site...... horrible - she was hell bent to get to see outside I think Smile not as bad as this with all the blood though....... I wish you luck - take it slow, they do have minds of their own and are stubborn........ keep us posted -
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 11:09 pm

He has been doing so well with crating the last few weeks, that's why this really shocks me. He even leads the way back up to his crate at night goes in and lies down. So when I opened the door and saw this I was sure he was dead. There was nothing anyone could have told me otherwise until he leaped up on my legs barking and licking my hands. He has been staying in the crate with ease since he hit about 14 weeks, and has always been ok with short spans and eventually we worked up to 3-4 hours during the day and staying in all night with only one bathroom break. I very nearly passed out when I saw this.
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

Male Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 11:28 pm

Wow that seems like a horrible site to come to! I hope he gets accustomed to the crye but yea I would go with what everyone says and get a plastic crate. I wish you the best of luck!
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 11:35 pm

I've contacted the breeder for help. I really can't handle this alone. His sire had to have a crate built that was sturdy and escape proof because the plastic ones he would chew through and the metal ones like the one above he would break out of. I will be using a plastic one for now but I am going to look into alternatives that will contain him with no injury for the future.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 11:42 pm

Oh my gosh! That is horrible! I can't imagine what's going on in his head to make him want to do that, poor guy!

I'm with the airline crate too, and if that doesn't work, I would try an aluminum crate.

One that looks like this. I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset Aluminumcrate

or I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset 9910062DP_4
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 11:49 pm

I switched to a Varikennel which is plastic after Lola destroyed a metal one. So sorry for you and I hope he's okay and you find a solution.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 am

Yup - had the same thing with Frosti - we had to slowly desensitize her to the crate by doing small periods of time with treats, with the door open - first in the living room with us in it, then in the bedroom with us in it, then with us out of the room, etc. However, since our adoption of her coincided with my dad being deathly ill and then passing away - we couldn't get to the training and ended up putting her in day care for that period of time. We did end up also buying a Varikennel, which worked out better than the wire crate. As well, we got her a thundershirt for anxiety and also gave her a super yummy kong during crate time. She also did better with her brother crated beside her, but that doesn't help you. Smile He would tell her to shut up when she got anxious and that everything's ok (growl growl growl). Smile I will tell you that it does get better but that it does suck right now and you need to find the time and patience for training, and figure out who can check on him or stay with him in the meantime. We were debating that crazy metal crate for a while.
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 12:24 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Yup - had the same thing with Frosti - we had to slowly desensitize her to the crate by doing small periods of time with treats, with the door open - first in the living room with us in it, then in the bedroom with us in it, then with us out of the room, etc. However, since our adoption of her coincided with my dad being deathly ill and then passing away - we couldn't get to the training and ended up putting her in day care for that period of time. We did end up also buying a Varikennel, which worked out better than the wire crate. As well, we got her a thundershirt for anxiety and also gave her a super yummy kong during crate time. She also did better with her brother crated beside her, but that doesn't help you. Smile He would tell her to shut up when she got anxious and that everything's ok (growl growl growl). Smile I will tell you that it does get better but that it does suck right now and you need to find the time and patience for training, and figure out who can check on him or stay with him in the meantime. We were debating that crazy metal crate for a while.

Thank you so much, I have been told it gets better a lot. I was so close to hoping in the car after I cleaned him up and treated his bleeding claws. I was going to get on the highway and go back to the breeder and tell them I'm a unfit puppy owner. He was doing so well with the crate and we went through all of the above training methods. I agree with what someone said earlier that now that he knows he can escape he intends to keep doing it again and again. I really like the look of those crates above and will most likely have one similar to contain him. I'm wondering do any of them come with tough rubber around the inside edges because he banged and bruised his paws up doing that a few days ago.
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 12:26 am

Hayden_69 wrote:
Oh my gosh! That is horrible! I can't imagine what's going on in his head to make him want to do that, poor guy!

I'm with the airline crate too, and if that doesn't work, I would try an aluminum crate.

One that looks like this. I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset Aluminumcrate

or I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset 9910062DP_4

I can't imagine what is going on in his head either Sad but we have a tripped planned to the vet tomorrow along with looking for a temporary crate for him. Tonight he gets the special treat of sleeping in the bed with me so I can monitor him and not wake up to west cravens puppy mutilation part II in the morning.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 12:51 am

I agree the plastic airline travel crates are much better at safely containing a motivated dog....but how much exercise is he getting prior to being crated? have you tried feeding in the crate to promote it being a safe positive space for him?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 1:21 am

I probably would have freaked when I walked in the door. I would of instantly broke down in tears. How horrible. I can't really offer up to much advice. Lucian isn't technically crated. I have a crate in my kitchen, but he's never actually locked in it. It's just there for him to have a "den" I baby gate him in my kitchen at night, and when we aren't home. But I can see from what he's done to himself that leaving him to roam around even one room could be even more dangerous for him. I really hope you can find a solution. Good luck to you!
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 5:52 am

He gets walked for 20 minutes twice a day Monday - Friday, and on weekends that goes up to 3-4 times a day depending on my plans. How could he go from being totally comfortable with it to doing something like this? He went from comfortable to so uncomfortable he feels the need to escape at all costs. Its in the same room same place and he has been on the same schedule for the past month and a half. He has a rubber chicken that he adores that he only gets during crate time along with a tough edible chew toy. His crate training started before he came home along with potty training. Being in a crate isn't a new thing for him.
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Female Join date : 2012-11-13

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 6:00 am

Oh wow what a site to come home to! With Kao when we put her in her crate we would give her a "special treat" everytime she went in (I found some treats that she would go crazy over but she only got them at crate time). Also Maybe try putting a sheet over the crate? We also did that with Kao and it seemed to help with the whinning. It makes it feel more like a "cave" to them. I hope things work out!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 6:10 am

Oh my lord..that would be the scariest thing ever. From your first post I didn't realize it was this serious. That would give me a heart attack! This is not your fault and you are no where near an unfit puppy owner! This is just a bump in the road (albeit a rather big one..). You will make it through this and so will your little one. Getting the advice of the breeder I'm sure will help out a lot since they have been through this already. Good luck and keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 6:19 am

I've yet to fall asleep I've been keeping an eye on him. It was a pretty eye opening thing to walk in on. I've walked in on a huge mess in the crate I've caught him ripping up plants. So many random yet wild puppy things you can think of and I've just about caught him doing it. But this took the cake the pies and the pastries. It was like a murder crime scene. I'm sure you can imagine the clean up was gruesome work. I kept thinking if someone saw this they would think I'm a lunatic or something who tortures his puppy. I was hesitant to post the pictures to ask for help because they look so violent in my opinion and def not something I would show kids.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 9:23 am

Maybe try giving him a frozen kong or frozen knee cap? Hayden HATES the crate, dig's at it, screams, cries, breaks the plastic board, drools everywhere, etc. The only thing that some what works is the frozen knee cap.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset   I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm so stressed and shocked and kinda upset

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next