It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy weight progession

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

weight - Puppy weight progession Empty
PostSubject: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 12:40 am

I couldn't find this bit if it exists, my apologies.

Ideally I think it'd be awesome to see a listing of suggested puppy weights by age, or perhaps a graph of sorts. Couldn't find it online with my phone.

Link is just past 9 weeks old and he weighs 12.6 lbs. Vet and breeder say he's fine. He does look a little plump at the belly and hips, but his dent between ribs and hips is visible (hodges??) and his ribs are countable by touch.

He seems like maybe he should just be a bit tighter back there.

He's on almost 3 cups per day by breeder recommendation. We are almost through the bag of the food she used (not great stuff) and will transition him to a higher quality, less processed food. Probably raw at some point.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 1:00 am

Just on my scale at home Nanook weighs 15lb , born same day as Link. He eats 2.5 cups a day. We are transitioning from Kirkland brand puppy food to TOTW now. It is amazing how much they change!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 1:02 am

Ok wow. Does he bulge in the back at all? Taper from back to front?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 1:04 am

If kibble is next, TOTW for him too. How many hours of napping does he do?
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 1:20 am

I think the way you described Link fits Nanook as well. He does have a little bit of a belly but has a nice shape...if that makes sense. His dad is a quarter malamute and was very tall so I have a feeling he is going to take after his dad, he seems very tall to me for 9 weeks. I will have to post some pictures once I figure out our new computer. My husband gets up at 5am to go to work and he normally gets up and stays up until I get up and leave for work at 9am. He probably naps during that time. He is up when I get home at 3:00, he may take a few cat naps but is usually out cold around 7:00pm.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 4:14 am

I just got home from hockey and my partner said he had really bad diarrhea, which is weird because I was with him all day and his poop was great. Last Monday, the day after we took him home, he was so lethargic and ill. Our first vet appointment on Tuesday confirmed he tested positive for roundworms and we treated it. They said to bring back another poop sample next Tuesday (tomorrow).

Anyway,when I got home just now I noticed his tummy was not as firm or bloated looking, so I guess maybe the diarrhea relieved him of some swelling or bloating.

His haunches are now very pronounced. I'm gonna get him weighed tomorrow for sure and make sure these roundworms are gone.

It just hit us today that, huh, Link's got a belly but it is such an unequal distribution of weight. It looked odd. Hence, my wondering about weight issues.

I'll update tomorrow.

I still would love to take stock of the forum membership's Huskies and plot a graph for age and weight. I think that'd be cool to see, and useful for new puppy owners perhaps.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 9:16 am

Puppies vary quite a bit in their sizes and growth rates, same as human babies, which is why you probably won't find a cut and dry chart.

Link sounds absolutely fine based on your description. Puppies are supposed to be fat and have big tummies, that is perfectly normal.

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Thanks Valerie Smile

He is fine today. We did a bit of formal training yesterday (Stay up to 10 feet away!) so he got a few more treats. He just had a bit of a bloated tummy. Today he is great is as playful as ever. I think he hit a mental development spurt yesterday is acting more like a 3-4 month old (like Korra on our playdate) now than a 2-3 month old. He is so much more fun and engaged now.

I think the chart would be a cool thing just for curiosity. Since he comes from show dog lineages, the breeder said he is likely gonna be a tad smaller than the average Husky. He definitely has a slender, yet stocky and muscular body shape.

Vet appointment at noon today. We'll see what she says.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 3:21 pm

weight - Puppy weight progession 8532137054_167b50a136_mweight - Puppy weight progession 8532137500_492c123ccf_m

^^^ yesterday causing me to worry, slightly bloated

these are today, no longer bloated and handsome Smile

weight - Puppy weight progession 8532138062_f12b187390_mweight - Puppy weight progession 8532138530_309f092803_m
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 3:33 pm

Vegeta is a little on the leaner side. he's about 2 weeks older than Link but he was only 12 pounds at our visit two weeks ago. Granted he had Coccidia that really drained him of nutrients for a week, but he's still on the smaller weight side of things. However he's quite tall and long, so it could just be that he'll be big in size but not weigh so much. Like mentioned earlier it very much varies. We came across a year and a half old husky today on our walk (whatya know, someone else in my complex has one) and he was only a few inches taller than Vegeta. So every dog is different.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 3:35 pm

noted, thanks Jim. Korra, 4 months and change, is so tall. She towered over Link, but he had more muscle. I hope he gets springy and bouncy like here in a couple of months!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Just got back. Vet says he feels and looks fine and that the bloating was in all likelihood some roundworms left inside. She gave him some oral meds and another dose for next week. Should be good.

He weighs 15.6 pounds, so he gained 3 pounds in a week, and it looks like mostly muscle in his legs and shoulders Smile
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:15 pm

I woudn't worry too much about his weight. If he's active, I'd think you're more likely to end up with a skinny pup than a chubby one. I would even say that the tuck between the ribs and hips won't always be visible on puppies. It's more important to make sure they're getting the nourishment they need than worry about how lean they are.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Cool thanks Katie, it was more of a bloated look though and apparently related to roundworms, so I was worried. He gets plenty of exercise so I'm not worried about that Smile
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:23 pm

That's definitely something to worry about, if he seems bloated!

Just wanted to make sure you weren't concerned with his actual, normal weight since he's so young still. Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:24 pm

nope, i kinda like his puppy fat look, although it's going away fast and his musculature is developing rapidly.

The distribution of the weight was really odd looking, almost like a beer belly (stupid growler he chugged for the HOTM!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy weight progession   weight - Puppy weight progession Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy weight progession

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1