It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

To work or not to work?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kr1s85
Newborn
Newborn
kr1s85

Male Join date : 2013-03-03

To work or not to work? Empty
PostSubject: To work or not to work?   To work or not to work? EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:43 am

Hi firstly i would just like to say hello to everybody my name is kris i live in northwest england as you can see i am a newbie to the forum and have recently become owned by Akira.
I look forward to many future chats with everyone who will help me become the best possible leader for Akira.

I adopted Akira last thursday she was 8 weeks old on sat me and my family love her to bits and i am really loving training her especially when she gives me "the look" it makes me laugh she reminds me of my kids when you tell them they have to do their homework and they really cant be bothered after they have been school all day already.

Anyway i need some advice on what to do about whether to leave her alone while i go work before she has had all her vaccinations and then 10 days after before she can go out. i adopted her with the intention of taking her to work with me in my van as my girlfriend works 3 days a week so there would only be someone at home 2 days a week and we both work 8-9- hours which i thought would be abit much to leave her alone although i do have someone who could call in and walk her for half hour but i still didnt think this would be enough. i dnt like dogs being left alone all day even though i know it has to be done sometimes.

what would people do?
should i leave at home for 2 weeks in my kitchen with her crate open i have a large kitchen but i am concerned that this may take her toilet training back a few steps which we are slowly getting to grips with
or
would it be ok for me to take her to work in my van she will be lay on my front seats and it is a large box van so she would be able to do her business on the back of my van on newspaper like she has been doing at home. i dont want her to get to upset when leaving her at home when i have to in the future so she does need to get used to it yet on the other hand i dont want to just leave her for two weeks straight incase it has long term effects of seperation anxiety. Any advice will be really appreciated thanks
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: To work or not to work?   To work or not to work? EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 10:16 pm

Welcome to the forum. I had a similar issue with my pups, I needed someone to watch them 2-3 times a week before mine was old enough to be crated for the 5 hours I'm gone. I wouldn't suggest leaving her in the van, as she may be destructive while in there due to the fact that she might easily get bored. I would suggest checking some in-home pet sitters. If you find the right one, they won't require your pup to be 4 months, just to be up to date on all of its current shots that it can have. I found one who had four of her own dogs, all that were 100% UTD on shots and all were neutered/spayed, and one was even a 3 month puppy the same age as Yuki that Yuki got to play with. Plus they also had a big yard, so my pups weren't forced to go inside, which helped me stay consistent with their potty training back at home. Now that my youngest is 7 months I crate both while I'm gone, however I'm only gone 5 hours tops. Hope this advice helps, or that someone comes along with some other advice. Good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: To work or not to work?   To work or not to work? EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 10:27 pm

Welcome look forward to seeing pictures of your pup. Megan has some good advice. Leaving the pup in the van will create more problems in the long run.. My pup when he was 9 months old chewed the safety belt on the passenger side up and he was only in the car for about 10 minutes.

I would look into a dog sitter or someone who can come to your house and check on the pup and play with him for a short time. Other wise I would work on crate training him as much as you can.

I am by no means and expert on this matter We are home most of the time during the day so the pups are not crate for any length of time. I also did not have puppies to house train they both came to me house broke.
Back to top Go down
kr1s85
Newborn
Newborn
kr1s85

PostSubject: Re: To work or not to work?   To work or not to work? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 6:31 am

thanks for the replies she has been doing really well wth her crate and aslong as she is tired she will go in and fall asleep with the help of some peanut butter in her kong.

Just to make things abit clearer about my situation with the van i have a large crate at home which is for when she is fully grown and i have also got a small one from a friend.
i was planning on using the smaller one to take the her in the van so she couldnt be destructive also i work out of the side of my van all day so i would be able to keep working on her toilet training. i have already managed to move her from the back door to just outside the door on newspaper so she seems to be ok following the paper to go do her business on. so i was thinking i could put paper on the back of my van and she would just go on the paper

we dont have any dogs sitters or anything like that around here. the only thing we really have is young dog walkers who i wouldnt feel comfortable leaving in my house.

i have a relative who could come round but he is his own mind shall we say and no matter what i tell him with regards to ignoring her while she whines in her crate and ensuring she doesnt get chance to go toilet anywhere but outside on her paper and now for sure he will pretty much do as he thinks is right which i think would put her training back.

i know he would do this because he has done similar things with my kids when they were growing up. ie giving them chocolate for their breakfast because they wont eat their cereal and letting them come back down stairs because they cry for 5 mins when they go bed. you wouldnt think he had raised 6 kids but old age must just make you soft i guess.

on the positive side considering she is only 9 weeks on saturday and she has been going 6 hours for the last few nights without waking me up to go toilet and ive got another 10 days to constantly spend with her to get her as well trained as possible.

could someone let me know how to get pictures on please and i will upload a picture of Akira i cant seem to find where to do it thanks
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: To work or not to work?   To work or not to work? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 11:06 am

Well sounds great! I had thought maybe it was like some kind of business where you would have to leave her alone in the van for long periods of time. Although it isnt exactly ideal, I know a truck driver couple who is raising their husky pup while taking her on the road with them, and she looks just as happy and healthy as Yuki. If you're able to make sure she gets out and is able to stretch her legs and go potty every couple hours, I'm sure it would be fine until she is old enough to be crated Smile

As for pictures - you can either use tinypic or photobucket. Make sure you scale down your pictures to at least 600 - 800 width so they don't appear too big. I believe tinypic will scale them down for you if you choose a certain width and height in the box below the security code before uploading. Once you've uploaded them, use the image link (should end in jpg or png) and then copy paste it here, putting it between a code in brackets like [ img ] [ /img ]. Sorry I typed all that out, I couldn't find the uploading thread at the moment lol.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: To work or not to work?   To work or not to work? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm in a similar situation, but thankfully I have an awesome boss who is letting me bring my pup with me to work. The only concern I have is him making loud noises since I work in the office and answer phones, but some days they aren't busy.

I still need to get a crate to bring to work with me because trudging one back and forth is not going to be fun.

kr1s85
Newborn
Newborn
kr1s85

PostSubject: Re: To work or not to work?   To work or not to work? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Akira had her 1st checkup and injection yesterday and i asked him the question he said it would be fine he said it would be good to get her used to travelling as soon as if thats what i was planning on doing with her in the future. as long as she doesnt go on the floor where there is a chance of another dog or fox having done its business thats not up2 date with its vacs. so he said to crate her and to let her go on paper on the back of my van and she would have no more chance of catching anything than she would somebody bringing something in your house from there shoes. if anything it would be less chance because she would only be on the seats and then fresh paper on my van so that was good to hear.
he also advised me to go for walks with her outdoors holding her so she can get used to new surroundings so she wouldnt be so overwhelmed when we first take her out for a proper walk.

something i hadnt thought of it might look abit od but im sure akira will like it.

To work or not to work? 2dgp36w
Back to top Go down
kr1s85
Newborn
Newborn
kr1s85

PostSubject: Re: To work or not to work?   To work or not to work? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 5:36 pm

o and thanks mobizilla for the help uploading the pics really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: To work or not to work?   To work or not to work? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 7:35 pm

No problem! Shes such a cutie! I can't wait to see more posts as she grows <3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To work or not to work?   To work or not to work? Empty

Back to top Go down

To work or not to work?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1