It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What do you do with your pup while you are at work

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Direwolf147
Newborn
Newborn
Direwolf147

What do you do with your pup while you are at work Empty
PostSubject: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi,

I can't imagine that everyone is able to stay home with their dogs every day and was wondering what people do with their Huskies while they are at work ?

Mine is currently 9 weeks old and I have a very large indoor dog fence for him to play in, he is very good and only poops and wees on he dog pads/fake grass area, has a very large bowl of water and lots of toys to play with (Kong, squeaky toys, etc)

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 9:45 pm

We crate while at work. When Bode was young and couldn't hold it for the whole day, one of us would come home from work at lunch to let him out.

Encouraging going potty inside, even on puppy pads, is going to be a hindrance in toilet training in the long run.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 10:29 pm

We crate trained at well...and are doing the same with our lab. We never used puppy pads because I had a friend tell me that it took her a year to potty train her doberman because she had used those pads and I didn't want to go through that. Dogs don't normally poop or pee where they eat or sleep and Karli was really good about that. We also came home at lunch to let her out, but I only work part time so I was able to be home with her for half the day.
Back to top Go down
Direwolf147
Newborn
Newborn
Direwolf147

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 10:39 pm

I only use the puppy pads while I am at work. When I am home and he is out with me he is very good will go to the door to be let out, never does it anywhere else, so I am lucky with that side of it.

I can't get home from work to let him out for the toilet as I catch the bus and live 45 mins from work.

As he gets a little older I will phase out the puppy pads when he can hold it longer. He is only 9 weeks old at the moment.
Back to top Go down
RabbleFox
Newborn
Newborn
RabbleFox

Female Join date : 2013-10-16

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 10:59 pm

Could you get a neighbor or relative to let him out to potty whilst he is young?

Bae dog is loose in the house when I'm not home because he has Pepper as a doggy buddy and because he can be trusted not to rip stuff up as long as another dog or human is there. Most huskies can't be left uncrated without getting into some trouble.

Puppies don't gain full control of their bladders until about 6 months old. Be sure to give him plenty of potty breaks whilst you are home! The most important ones being just before you leave and immediately when you get home. Potty training goes much faster if he only goes outside but I can see why you'd use pee pads to start. Try and find someone to let him out midday, though. Its faster that way!

Any accidents should be thoroughly cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner. Smile
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 11:09 pm

You could also look into a dog walker. Most dog walking companies have some kind of puppy special where they charge less and just come and let out for potty for 15-30 minutes instead of a full walk.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 1:26 am

Mine are all crated while I'm working. Luckily my boyfriend only has to work 3 days a week and we work opposite shifts when he is working, so my dogs don't usually get left home alone.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLove
Newborn
Newborn
HuskyLove

Female Join date : 2013-02-02

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 1:33 am

I work 12 hr shifts so its different for me, so as soon as Dakota was old enough to go into doggie day care she went there.
I drop her off before work and my mother in law picks her up and brings her home later in the night (I work 11am-11pm) , when my mother in law leaves. Dakota stays in the crate, she is completely crate trained. She is usually only in the crate for approx 3-4 hrs from time my mother in law leaves until I get home.
Dakota LOVES doggie day care, she is soo excited when I drop her off and is soo exhausted from playing all day, she sleeps well when she gets home. So far so good, its working very well for us. She is 10 months old now and the routine seems to be good so far. Maybe that can be an option for you to?
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 2:28 am

2 of the pups go in kennels, the other gets free roam. Before I go to work, the dogs are always walked-always. Usually a 30-45 minute walk, and depending on what time I work, they will get fed too.

Sheba was crate trained from the start. However, the longest she was ever in a crate was 5 hours. If I knew the boyfriend and I worked the same shift, she would eat earlier and have water taken away earlier as well. When you feed them earlier and take away water, you can *almost* guarantee they will empty their little puppy bladders. They don't always though, but that helps lessen the chance of accidents or infections caused from trying to hold their potty in.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 8:17 am

[quote="Sheba&Kennedy"]2 of the pups go in kennels, the other gets free roam.

....and walks back and forth in front of the crated dogs going "Nah,na,nah,na,nah,nah, your locked up and I'm not, cuz you are just pooh pooh heads!".
Back to top Go down
Taiga
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 9:57 pm

We crate when we are not there to supervise (either sleeping or at work). There are just too many things for them to get into. And many of them have the potential to be dangerous (considering how strong their jaws are).

On the occasions when I had a "normal" job we did hour long walks at night as well as doggie day care all day on Saturday's. We're out in the country so weekly daycare wasn't an option. Most of my jobs have had time in the middle of the day though, so I can be home and let them out.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 11:25 pm

Mishka is crated when we are at work and not home. He is pretty okay unsupervised but I don't trust him to go hours without finding something he's not supposed to be messing with. Luckily for me, i work 5 minutes away so I come home on my lunch break to let him out for 20 minutes or so (I only get 30 minutes for lunch). If we had daycare, I would definitely send him a couple of times a week but there's no where in our city that offers that.

Monika30
Puppy
Puppy
Monika30

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 7:42 pm

My girl is now 6 month old so she stays in our fully fenced in yard when we are at work (6ft fence and husky proofed). When I go to work I live her kongs (with treats and frozen peanut butter) or some lamb meaty bones, plenty toys and I walk her every morning (and then in the evening too depending on how I am with time) so she is well exercised. I leave at 8 AM 3 days a week (I work from home the other 2 days so I am with her then) and my hubby starts earlier so he is back at 3-4PM - still 8 hours by herself 3 days a week Sad. Winter has doggy door so she can come in and out when she wants too. She has earned our trust as she has never destroyed anything but her toys. She loves being outside I noticed, when I work from home I sometimes take my friend's border collie in so they can play together and they love it. Winter also loves to dig-hide her bones and in general she entertains herself in the garden.
When she was 8-16 weeks old I was keeping her in the playpen in my living room (probably 3x bigger than XL crate) when I was gone and I only went to the office twice a week then (I arranged it with work earlier). I couldn't have come over my lunch break as I work about 30-40 mins drive away so at the time I paid for services of "Dogfather" - they come to your house and feed, potty and either walk or play with your pup.
I am getting a second husky in few weeks time so eventually they will also entertain each other when I am not there.
I have purchased agility equipment (tunnel etc) and will be putting it up in the garden when she starts her agility group (when she is bigger) so hopefully this will be fun for them both. I will crate him inside (I am now researching crates) and I'll have a neighbor that works from home on days I am in the office to come in and let him out for potty and play. Then over Xmas I am taking extra time off so hopefully will fully train the pup and in Feb he should be able to join his big sister out in the yard.
My girl never suffers from anxiety and she is happy to be out in the yard. She got used to it, a bit of crying the first time or two I left her and that's it.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

we adopted a 5 and 1yr old so no puppy's to deal with. we crated them for about 1.5-2yrs cant remember how long. but now they have run of the down stairs while we are at work, we have tile floors and block the upstairs. we have husky proofed as well, trash away, paper put up any thing they could or would want to eat is put away. they have been doing great the last few yrs like that. they are left for about 6-8 hrs a day.
good luck with your puppy! and i would start to crate train

Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 8:45 pm

A crate is a dog's best friend Smile

I follow the rule of how many months old the dog is as to how long they can hold it. I.E., Journey is now 3 months old so the longest I should leave her in her crate is 3 hours. Luckily I arranged my schedule for puppy raising.... I know not everyone is able to do that though. If I wasn't able to be home every 3 hours then I would put her in a larger crate with a puppy pad in the far back that way she can still go and have her safe zone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your pup while you are at work   What do you do with your pup while you are at work Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you do with your pup while you are at work

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1