It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I didn't know I had a submissive dog until...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

I didn't know I had a submissive dog until... Empty
PostSubject: I didn't know I had a submissive dog until...   I didn't know I had a submissive dog until... EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 6:38 pm

I took him to the dog park.

Kingsley is 4 months old and we have completed his puppy shots. We took him to the dog park for the first time yesterday and today. He's still too small to go to the big dog part of the park, so we took him to the under 25 lbs part (where he's closer to the 25 end of the spectrum).

Aside from his litter mates, his mama and papa, he's only been around 1 other dog. He's been overly playful with her, not taking a hint when she's bored. She doesn't snap at him or growl or anything, she just ignores him. So I was really hoping that the dog park would teach him some manners.

Aaaaaanyway, as soon as we take him to the dog park, a bossy chihuahua half his size PUTS HIM ON HIS BACK! And not with force, just by approaching him rapidly barking.

What a little wuss! Today, two teeny tiny dachshund did the same thing! They don't even do anything but run to him too quickly, and he immediately gives up on life and cowers into a ball. It's so cute, but so embarrassing.

Other than that, he's done great. He plays respectfully, doesn't jump up on other people, runs around like a mad man, and just wants to be everyone's friend.

He won't be able to play in the small dog park for much longer because of his size. I'm worried that if he doesn't acclimate confidently soon enough, he'll be too big of a wuss to play on the big dog park (because there are some HUGE dogs over there).

Here's to hoping.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: I didn't know I had a submissive dog until...   I didn't know I had a submissive dog until... EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 7:00 pm

Submission and dominance isn't based on size so much as maturity level, personality etc. At 4 months old, and being fairly new to the dog park, I would expect a young pup to be submissive to just about any assertive dog. As he grows and develops, he will become more confident and will probably display all of the traits of a husky at that point.

The socialization is the best part for him right now. Being around lots of other dogs, submissive, dominant or otherwise, he will be used to it, and once the size and maturity come about, he will be able to play with the rowdiest of them Smile.

Keeonah was the same way. She is a little princess, so she would probably submit to a big, mean dog, but that's okay. I'd rather he say "Okay, you win" than spark some sort of altercation. It's funny, because if you take special notice, you can see which dogs she isn't scared of at all, and would try to display dominance over, and you can see which dogs she will play with if they want, but would bail the instant they turned dominant lol
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: I didn't know I had a submissive dog until...   I didn't know I had a submissive dog until... EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 7:08 pm

I agree completely. I just thought it was funny because there was nothing to indicate this trait otherwise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: I didn't know I had a submissive dog until...   I didn't know I had a submissive dog until... EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 8:25 pm

Definitely agree.

I'd much prefer that to Pippa too, who, when confronted, never backs down. She still annoys even the few dogs that are dominant over her at the park.

She's um...tenacious?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I didn't know I had a submissive dog until...   I didn't know I had a submissive dog until... Empty

Back to top Go down

I didn't know I had a submissive dog until...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1