It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Huskies4ever23
Newborn
Newborn
Huskies4ever23

Female Join date : 2013-02-18

How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet? Empty
PostSubject: How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet?   How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:19 am

My husband and I just got a new puppy...he is teething really bad and he keeps attacking our hands and feet. How do we get him to understand that he can't do that and get him to chew more on his toys. Also I have a question about getting him to wear his collar. Every time I put the collar on him he will run around in circles and then lay down with a sad look on his face.
Back to top Go down
Michalis
Newborn
Newborn
Michalis

Male Join date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet?   How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 3:48 pm

First of all stay calm and don't get mad or upset with your pup.
Keep chew toys near you and every time he attacks your hands or feet redirect the dog to a toy. If he doesn't pay attention to the toy and he keeps attacking your hands, turn your back, move away from the room and close the door behind you. Return after 20-30secs and show him the toy and tell him "Take it". If he still "attacks" your hands, rinse and repeat. If he takes the toy praise him with words, pet him or give him a treat.

If the room you are in is not puppy proofed, take him to a safer room and "practice" there. If he keeps "attacking" you while your moving away from him then lift him up gently and put him alove in another room for 30secs (time out). Don't shout on him or slam the door. Let him out and show him the toy.

It is going to take a while but trust me he will associate that bitting your hands is bad while playing with his toys is a good thing .

Be consistent.

Regarding his collar try touching his neck with the collar while treating him. Repeat about 10 times before putting the collar on him.
Back to top Go down
Weda
Newborn
Newborn
Weda

PostSubject: Re: How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet?   How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet? EmptyFri May 31, 2013 6:54 am

My 1 year old sibe does this too. I asked my vet about it, as I didn't realize he was still teething! My vet suggested that I buy some bones/rawhides for my pup & keep them in the freezer. When he seems to act like his mouth is bothering him, give him a nice cold bone. It seems to be working pretty well.
As soon as he starts "attacking" my hands/feet, we do time-outs (appx 30 second increments) until he mostly stops. Once he stops, or allows himself to be distracted with a toy, I get him a frozen treat and then he's one happy camper; he REALLY loves the bones from the butcher shop! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mishka&Me
Puppy
Puppy
Mishka&Me

Male Join date : 2013-04-02

PostSubject: Re: How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet?   How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet? EmptyFri May 31, 2013 7:01 am

do anything hr hates. for me its blowing his face, stopped it already
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet?   How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet? EmptyFri May 31, 2013 9:50 am

Here's what I'm doing with my little monster.

1. I say ah ah. When he stops what he's doing, he gets praise and a treat. I believe that you have to teach them what no means, before you can expect them to respond to it. He is getting better and better with this.

2. Take him outside for some exercise. Sometimes he starts biting my arms when he has to go out to potty and I don't catch on to his other signals. It also helps redirect some energy. I do short little sprints with Dizzy, very short sprints, 10-15 feet, and get him to play chase with me. At first I thought this would make the biting worse, but it just helps him to let him release some energy.

3. Give him something to think about. When he gets bored, he starts wandering around chewing on random stuff, especially furniture, or me. So, I do some little training exercises with him, working on basic commands, and try to teach him something new. He even sometimes bites while he's thinking (insert jeopardy theme music here), but I'll say 'off' and the second he releases, he gets a treat. This also includes puzzle toys, or stuffed kongs, or anything to chew on that they like. Dizzy has an antler that I'll wave under his nose that he loves. I also sometimes hide his chew toys and let him sniff them out.

4. Sometimes, he bites my feet, pant legs, or dresses when walking. He LOVES dresses, they flutter around oh so nicely. I think he's trying to initiate a chase play game, so when he does this I stop walking and step towards him, basically the opposite of what he wants. He wants me to run so he can chase and pounce. The first time I did this it led to a 5-10 minute battle of the wills (he was growl talking, running toward me and trying to nip, and jumping around) in the middle of the sidewalk, that was about a week ago. Each time he tried it I would do the same thing it would take less and less time for him to give up, and now, unless he's really wound up or annoyed about something else, I just give the ah ah, and he stops.

5. He also does it when he gets really excited, so if he or someone else winds him up. He goes in his crate with his antler for 10 min. This will chill him out and isn't a punishment, because I give him something yummy.

He's catching on and getting a lot better, but its still a work in progress. Yesterday he went to the vet and also had a bath. The high velocity dryer annoys him, so he was in a bad mood, frustrated, and anxious last night and biting a lot. Thankfully on our walk, we ran into his husky buddy Rosey and he got to release some energy with her. It was pretty funny actually, she's in heat, and he couldn't decide if he wanted to play, mount, or look for some milk. Silly puppy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet?   How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to get a teething puppy to stop biting hands and feet?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1